General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's why I'm a cyclist and you're a bike rider Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-07-29 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3617330

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: That's why I'm a cyclist and you're a bike rider
I would have busted out laughing.  This sounds like a line from a bad 80's movie. I'll admit that sometimes (particularly when bored) I'll make a comment like this, but I usually know them. 

2011-07-29 4:52 PM

User image

Victoria, British Columbia

saas74 - 2011-07-27 3:09 PM Yep. Had someone tell me that this weekend when I had to stop and recover a bit on this killer hill. He passed and said hills were the best part and when I said not for me...he gave me that line. I was moved to the sidewalk so I wouldn't be in anyone's way so this wasn't me interfering with his ride. This was someone being nasty. I hope the folks in my first tri in September are more encouraging than him.

And this is why Hills still intimidate me...That's just awful!  Don't worry about your tri.  There is a really supportive community out there and not at all like the dude on the bike...Have fun, it's all that really matters anyhow!

Laughing

Edited by LollyR 2011-07-29 4:53 PM
2011-07-29 5:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-29 5:41 PM

Champion
Calgary
I kinda got 2 ways at looking at that. I mean, it sounds like a pretty nifty thing to say, but really, it is the way it is said that makes the point. It could easily be said "That's why I'm a bike rider and you're a cyclist". You just say it in a way that has the last bit obviously in air quotes.

Of course the other way it is a rude comment from a stranger.

In the balance I would say worthmore as a chuckle as opposed to a condemnation.

Also and generally speaking, just because they don't say it doesn't mean they aren't thinking it.
2011-07-29 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3621310

Veteran
Monadnock

Fred Doucette - 2011-07-29 6:27 PM The thread that just won't die....

I know! Don't people know that your post on page three was supposed to be the final word. Yeesh, come on people....

2011-07-29 8:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I was thinking about this while MTBing today.  Maybe this has been said already, but you could have simple invited him to run with you once the bike portion was over.  When he cant, you reply that is why you're a cyclist and I'm a Triathlete. 

2011-07-29 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3618877

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
duder5189 - 2011-07-28 12:32 PM

The whole "cyclist snob" thing is something that I still grapple with to this day.

I was never a rider myself until 4 years ago when I bought a bike for the specific purpose of triathlon.  To that point, I'll be honest, I did not appreciate the bikers I'd see out on the roads - I definitely bought into the bike snob stereotype.  The stupid colorful jerseys and tight pants and $5,000 bikes, and the way they selectively follow road rules that are to their benefit but ignore ones they don't really like - it was all just real lame in my book.

I'm coming around now that I'm "one of them" (not a snob, a cyclist).  I even ride with a group of cyclists that wear all the gear (all very good people) and have become what I once despised.  Although, I still don't own a true cycling jersey (I wear tri tops or under armor stuff) - that's how deeply seeded that bike snob stereotype was in me.

It's just sad to hear that it is actually, apparently a real thing, and there are some d-bags out there living it out.

What I do in these situations...kill them with kindness.  I'd have hit him with a cheerful but obviously sarcastic "nice to meet you too, have a good ride!"  That kind of thing tells him he's obviously being a dick, and just festers in him.

Then where do you put all your stuff? 

On a long ride my jersey pockets are chock a block full of stuff. Rain jacket, food, phone, food, mini pump, food..........well, you get the idea!

As for the issue of bike snobbery and whether or not cyclists wave to each other, around here it is pretty unusual to pass another cyclist and NOT make a sign of acknowledgement. Everybody does it. Something as simple as a slight nod or a smile.

The only time I will not make an effort is if I am deep within the "pain cave" of an interval session. A grunt or grimace is not terribly friendly I am afraid..........

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » That's why I'm a cyclist and you're a bike rider Rss Feed  

of 4