AA Sports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 35s
Overall Rank = 72/259
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/48
Pre-race routine:

Banana and cereal for breakfast; got to the race site early (6:45), and had plenty of time to set up, walk around a little, and warm up.
Event warmup:

Jogged a couple minutes, then got into wetsuit and swam lightly for a few minutes to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 17m 17s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for me. Got jostled a little at the start, but didn't panic. Settled into an easy 4:1 breathing pattern for the first 200 or so, then 2:1 with sighting every 8-12 strokes. Drifted to the left a little in between sighting buoys, so had to do some course corrections, but nothing major.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe work on staying a little straighter between buoys, but this was a really good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

Loooong run between transition area to mounting line; not so fun in my bike shoes! But I'm definitely not ready to leave them in my pedals...

Not sure. I'm okay with this time, considering how far I had to jog!
Bike
  • 41m 39s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Sigh...I'm just not a fast cyclist. Tried to stay as aero as possible and keep my cadence high. Felt like I was going pretty fast, but of course people were passing me all the time! No worries, though...This was a fine performance for me at this time.

Will tinker with raising my seat to get a better aero position, and continue to build my strength and speed in the offseason.
Transition 2
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Seriously...Why did I have to run that far with my bike? And over bumpy grass, to boot. Oh well, can't have everything.

Needed my Clif Shot Bloks out of my backpack where I could get to them...I skipped them instead, but I think I would feel more energetic if I had one before I started running.
Run
  • 26m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay, just like the last Blue Lake tri, I gotta ask...Was that really a full 5K? 'Cause if it was, that's a PR by a LOT for me! For any 5K, including ones that didn't follow a swim and a bike. But my leg turnover was really good after getting of the bike, so maybe that helped. I felt pretty tired, but just tried to keep a steady pace. I was able to pick it up a little over the last hundred yards and finish strong.

Can't think of anything...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for awhile, drank some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cycling is my weak link. Maybe I'll make some headway on that before next summer.

Event comments:

This was a great race for me. I had hoped to shave 5 minutes or so off of my 1:43 triathlon debut and the Blue Lake Tri on June 11th, and instead I beat it by over 10 minutes! I think comfort level lack of nervousness helped a lot for this one. The 2 training triathlons I did at Hagg Lake really paid off in helping me organize my transitions, and select the best gear and clothing to use. The all-women aspect of this race made it seem very supportive and friendly, too!

Last updated: 2011-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:17 | 880 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/48
Overall: 58/259
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex sleeveless
Course: Triangular, counter-clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:39 | 12 miles | 17.29 mile/hr
Overall: 131/259
Wind: Headwind
Course: Flat out and back along river.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:41 | 03.11 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 68/259
Course: Out and back section with mild hills (rises, really), and some flat areas through the park and along the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-30 6:02 PM

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: All Women's Triathlon - Sprint

2011-08-01 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3621968

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: All Women's Triathlon - Sprint

Nice job out there!

My garmin said 2.97 miles, but I started it late, so I'm thinking it was at least 3 miles, but might have been 1/10 mile short - which is at most a minute off... So party down with that run PR I say - that transition area is ridiculous and made up the difference!

2011-08-06 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3624644

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: All Women's Triathlon - Sprint
Thanks! I definitely felt like I got my running mileage in that day, one way or another! And I'll call that my 5K PR until someone proves otherwise to me! (Or until I beat it on another course!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » All Women's Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed