thompsonhealth
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Began planning in January in earnest. Couple meeting of core committee and on of the advisory board. We disturbed 1500 Brochures. Corp Communication put out numerous press releases and email blast.
Decided to continue with the same courses. We are looking hard to make the 15 miler easier but we he hold it is hills all around.
Month ahead of time start gathering information on scheduled road work. That involves contacting 6 different DWPs. We were talking about it moving the date but it seems that August 1 is the start of the oil/gravel season. Need to keep the ride the last of July.
June 1st start asking for volunteers and folks to bring in homemade salads. One of the things the riders like is the family style picnic after the ride. They were coming slow so I had to ask the whole hospital system for volunteer and our local Wegmans a sponsor encourages volunteerism so that supplied 10 people to to help out. Patti on Rest Stop #2 was ready willing and able in a flash. Yvonne said she would take RS #3 up on gannett hill. Got Marmadaddy and Marc from Sports med to each drive a SAG vehicles. Deb stepped up and took RS #1. Her husband was riding and she wanted to help. With a couple of other rehab service peeps and Wegmans employee we had things covered.
Got T-shirts ordered after some debate about sizes and color.

Event warmup:

Week before started to prepare forms needed for registration. Got list of 115 riders preregistered. Yikes. Close to twice of last year. Start to panic. Sure just get the volunteer set and find out I have a jump of close to twice of last year. Good problem to have. The Sunday before I drive the course and find out the right lane of Dug Road is gone. yes gone. It a short stretch aieht good visibily to other side. Couple other thing but course looks doable and run with course as is. Yvonne and I painted marking Thursday evening as it was dry. Of course it rained Friday and faded them. Its a hard decision when to paint as you need dry and there were thereat of storms Friday. *Come to find out a Gentleman from abnother tour was hit and killed Friday morning, couple of the riders said the gasp when the read that as the thought form the headlines it could me. In 5 years I had one close call but usually have the vehicle behind me. It takes a while to paint 62 miles of marking so you get in a hurry sometimes and start moving before you look. Definitely will make me more cautious next year. Didn't get too many salads in so ordered some from Wegmans, cause you never want to run out. Gathered studff here and there. Figured I had enough water but that was wrong een with the extra Y bought. Deb picked up her kit Wednesday, Patti picked up her stuff Friday. I think next year she will take the extra water I offer her. She still would have been short. Went to bed at 10:00 and actually slept fairly well.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 62.14 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Up at 5:00 and shower and load salads in truck. Ice Y's cooler. Head out to arrive at 6:00am. Volunteers already there. Nancy B took parking with Melissa and Duane. Since I heard very little about parking i was under the impression things went well, there was a little trouble but still getting to the bottom of it.
Oksana is already setting up some muffins and bread s for breakfast. good thing as I decided not to have any this year because most years have ended up taking them home. This year breakfast was hit and could have used an extra 20 bananas. Just more of the odd ball stuff of 2011.
Set up registration which went very well this year. Might get this thing down after all. Shirts are always wanted but only gave out 75. Ended up with lots of XLs left but we gave them out too. Need to Listen to Ted about sizes more. Gels, water bottles and bananas were gone in a flash.
Sheriff showed up on time to help with start. It went well except the back of the pack was to far back to hear start. Next year we are thinking of a staggered start for the different ride lengths.
Its a funny feeling at 7:59 the park is a buzz then in 5 minutes all gone.
Its time to move. Gotta hit Wegmans and house for picnic stuff. Natasha goes with me. Oksana head to get big bowls. Natasha has a Eastern Europe accent so she talked all the way in and I just said OK as it was my bad ear and had not a clue what she was saying. She worked hard and thank her greatly.
15 & 30 milers started to arrive. Fire up the grill and spread out lunch. Michele tries to track riders coming back which is hard d/t some riders just packing up an heading out.

About 11 Deb comes back with nothing left from RS #1. Yikes there is always some water and Gatorade left. Most be thirsty. Talk to Patti she is going through water like water. She is resourceful and sends out for more.

Y calls at 12 and need more water. Yikes she is way up on the hill. Find Mike to run up water and end up sending a bunch up. The picnic is also running out of stuff like water. Most riders are in around 2-3 but had a couple of kids that may have bitten off more then they chew. Marc is helping them around a short cut them. They arrive, see feed and they get their legs rubbed out. We pack up the park and its in the books besides the clean up of the truck and contents.

What would you do differently?:

3-cases of water at each rest stop.
Extra case in each SAG.
Timing of lines and marks further up from the turn
Form a committee to work on different areas.
Better cooling for food.
Work with park on parking.

Post race
Warm down:

Scotch and a beer.

Last updated: 2011-07-31 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 62.14 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Check out 100k ride, 31 mile ride and 15 mile ride in my routes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Tour de Thompson

2011-07-31 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3622417

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Tour de Thompson
I guess all your worry about the little things paid off as this participant didn't find anything other than a well run bike tour!  Great job and thanks for putting this together it is a lot of fun.  I missed it last year being out of town!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Thompson Rss Feed