General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-31 12:49 PM

Subject: Heart Rate Training Question

So, after about 10 years of endurance training (marathons, tris, etc.), I have decided to actually be "smart" about my training and use heart rate as a measurement.  I typically average about a 8:30 to 9:00 minute/mile pace on most runs, but this is without monitoring HR. 

This morning, I went out for a 6 mile run, and tried to keep my heart rate around 130 (my max HR, based on age, etc. should be about 150).  I had a really hard time keeping hy HR rate this low, felt like I was just shuffling along and was averaging about 11:00 min/mile over the first 5 miles.  The last mile, for comparison, I tried to run at my normal pace and my HR was approaching 160.  So, obviously my training has not been very efficient over these years, which is why I have not seen as much of an increase in overall fitness the last few years (I am assuming this is part of it).

My question to those of you who routinely use HR to measure your training, is it going to take me a while of training this way before I can run at a faster pace, while keeping my HR down to where I'm training more efficiently?  Since I'm new to this approach, are there any tips that anyone can provide?  Or, is it just about being patient at this point, understanding I will have to run/ride at slower paces in the short term, but that over time I will be more efficient, and my HR will stay lower while my pace picks up?  I have my second HIM in October, so I'm hoping this is an appropriate time to sort of "change" my training strategy.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

2011-07-31 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3622473

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training Question
220-age is worthless.  You need to perform the field LT test, use the BT HR zone calculator for the method and then you'll know what your proper zones are.  If you do this please post a follow up to to show how much different they turned out to be.  Also there is a huge thread on this subject, where the llinked article came from.

Edited by Donto 2011-07-31 2:18 PM
2011-07-31 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3622535

Thanks for that, I'll do the field tests on Monday and Tuesday of this week and see how much different the results are from what I was going to use as my target zones.
2011-07-31 4:14 PM

New user

Just to back up what was said above, I get my zones tested on a treadmill/New Leaf V02 Max system at Lifetime and where my zone 1 starts has gone up from 126 HR to 140 HR in the last two years....What happens is that with training, your heart rate zones "compress" closer to your max heart rate.  For instance, my anaerobic Zone 4 HR could end up being Lance Armstrong's recovery Zone 1.  Similarly, my Zone 1 could be a completely sedentary person's Zone 4.  Well-trained people in general need to train at a higher heart rate.  As Greg Lemond said, "It doesn't get easier, you just get faster."

So, basically you need to test it.  You may in fact be fit enough to run at a higher heart rate.  220-age is far too broad.

2011-07-31 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA

I've never tested for my zones or anything, but I have monitored my heart rate while I run/cycle.  I've noticed for me, 35 years old, 196 lbs, 5'10".  I can pretty much run comfortably with my HR at 148-153.  This is with controlled breathing, and I'm not huffing. Once I get up to about 170, that's my huffing and puffing and I can only hold that pace for a very short time.

I think even without testing you can probably find your comfortable HR to run... maybe I'm just too lazy to do the testing..

2011-07-31 5:40 PM

The HR thing is all new to me as well but I'm now 5 weeks into it.  My coach started me out with a 2 mile all out run to determine my max and avg hr.  The first 4 weeks of training have been building a "Base Endurance" and she warned it may seem slower than I'm used too (and she was right).  Most work outs have been in my assigned Zone 2 with cool downs in Zone 1.  My week 5 is a "taper" week but I think it is because I have a sprint at the end of the week.  So far, I have noticed a difference in my endurance.  I curious to see what the next 7 weeks leading up to my oly will bring.  I was skeptical at first but my coach has made a believer out of me. 

2011-08-01 7:22 AM

User image

Runner
OK, how does monitoring your heart rate and trying to keep it below some arbitrary number equate to "smart" training?

Smart training, to me, is training the has a purpose, and meets that purpose. How you determine the purpose and measure success is completely immaterial.

In other words, you went out yesterday with the stated goal of trying to keep your hr under a specific number. Why? How does this workout fit into the rest of your training? What is your training goal(s) (what race, what distance, etc.)? What's your plan for getting there? Does the workout support the plan?
2011-08-01 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3622535

"Donto - 220-age is worthless.  You need to perform the field LT test, use the BT HR zone calculator for the method and then you'll know what your proper zones are.  If you do this please post a follow up to to show how much different they turned out to be.  Also there is a huge thread on this subject, where the llinked article came from."

I did the field LT test this morning on my bike, and the results (as you suggested) were MUCH different than what I was working off of on the obviously out of touch formula for determining heart rate.  Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to effectively bringing in HR training to meet my overall training goals.

2011-08-01 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3623700

User image

Melon Presser

Cuse_Fan - 2011-08-02 12:59 AM

"Donto - 220-age is worthless.  You need to perform the field LT test, use the BT HR zone calculator for the method and then you'll know what your proper zones are.  If you do this please post a follow up to to show how much different they turned out to be.  Also there is a huge thread on this subject, where the llinked article came from."

I did the field LT test this morning on my bike, and the results (as you suggested) were MUCH different than what I was working off of on the obviously out of touch formula for determining heart rate.  Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to effectively bringing in HR training to meet my overall training goals.

That will give you your LTHR, from which you can calculate your training zones, for the bike.

Remember you need to do a separate test for running, since your LTHR is likely to be different.

2011-08-01 2:38 PM

Planning on doing my run test tomorrow morning.....thanks for all the feedback!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Question Rss Feed