General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell me about Pigman Long Course Bike and Run Routes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-31 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Subject: Tell me about Pigman Long Course Bike and Run Routes

Pigman is my first HIM distance race. I haven't been able to make it down to Iowa to ride/run the course.  Could you tell me a little bit about the course?  Is it hilly as in IMMOO hilly?  Or is it rolling hills? Flat as in Illinois flat? The run?

Thanks so much for any/all info.  I look forward to seeing the beautiful Iowa countryside in 3 weeks.

Amy

2011-08-01 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3622885

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Tell me about Pigman Long Course Bike and Run Routes

This will be my first Pigman Long Course and first HIM also.  I am going to ride the bike course on Sunday.  So, I will be able to tell more about it after that.

2011-08-01 5:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa

so this is how it all goes down.

the bike starts at the park and you make your way down probably the biggest hill of the whole course at the beginning.  remember it well, as you need to go back up it to get to the run.  the rest of the course has lots of rollers so you don't get bored, but nothing too outrageous.  

the run course is like running across a giant bunt cake pan.  you run to the top at the park, all the way down when you come out, pretty much flat until just before the turn around where there is a little hill up.  then you turn around and run back.  yes, back up that big hill.

both the bike and run feature typically iowa country side, big open fields will little shade.  that august sun can make things down right muggy, so be sure to bring water and salt.

the aid stations are pretty good and the volunteers work hard.  i think they have ecaps and ice on the run.

it is a great race, enjoy.  oh, and hopewell, sorry i never followed up on leading you through the bike.  i am a horrible horrible sherpa.

2011-08-05 9:52 AM

User image

Agree with the last comment.  The biggest hills will be at the beginning/end of your bike and run.  The bike is light rolling to Flat for the most part and the run is flat for the most part.  If your race is delayed due to fog as it was last year then you could be in for some heavy heat and sun that time of year as there is no tree coverage.

Very well supported so you should be able to live off the aid stations if you need to.  The only thing that might change this is that the race is now a qualifier and I think the entrant cap is going to be higher than it has been in the past. 

Good Luck it is a great course!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tell me about Pigman Long Course Bike and Run Routes Rss Feed