General Discussion Race Reports! » Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Newport, Rhode Island
United States
Naval Station Newport MWR
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 46s
Overall Rank = 206/273
Age Group = F30-37
Age Group Rank = 14/21
Pre-race routine:

I don't really have a pre race routine anymore! This was my first tri in two years. Injuries and life prevented me from racing last year and this year I haven't had much time to be consistent in training. But I enjoy this race and the distances are short so I signed up.

The day before the race it dawned on me that I haven't used my wetsuit in a few years and that I should soak it and try it on (I may or may not have gained a few pounds). I was able to get it on but wasn't too comfortable. I decided to bring it with me and decide on race day if I was gonna wear it.

Then it dawned on me that I haven't worn my new helmet yet. And I haven't ridden outside in awhile either. So, I decide to take the bike for a quick spin. Everything was in good working order thankfully.

I packed my bag and then it was family time. Off to drop off Liam at a sleepover and out to dinner with the rest of the family. We went to our favorite pizza and beer place and I downed some greasy pizza and two beers. Yum.

Back home and I slept like a baby. Seriously, the best night sleep I have ever had before a race. I think I have a new tradition on pre race night.

The morning of the race, I got up at 4:30 and showered and grabbed a bagel and coffee. I threw my bike in the car along with the rest of my stuff and off I went. Nice and smooth. I got to the race site and checked in and got through body marking quickly. I walked to transition and racked my bike and set up my stuff. I chatted a lot with the people around me.
Event warmup:

I walked over to the swim start and chatted with some lovely people. I decided at the last minute not to wear my wetsuit because the water was so warm and calm. Turns out that may have been a mistake but oh well. That was it for a warm up. Perhaps I should have swam a few meters but whatever.
Swim
  • 14m 20s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim sucked, majorly sucked. I lined up to the right of the buoy out of the way of the fast people. The horn blows and I meander out and dive it. The water was a lovely temperature but murky and gross looking. I do not like murky water. I enjoy clear water when I am swimming. Oh well, I found some feet to draft off of and all was well...until she starts the breast stroke and kicks me in the face. Then the chick next to me decided it would be a good idea to swim in a diagonal line and punch my head. Twice. I stop and let her by because she is annoying. By this time, we are only halfway to the first buoy. Ugh, it's gonna be a long swim. I never was able to get comfortable in the water and get a rhythm going. The entire swim was beyond dreadful. My worst ever but I made it out and that is all that matters.
What would you do differently?:

Ummmm, how about actually train for the swim? Yeah, that might be a good idea. I haven't been in the water since May (yes you read that right, May).
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

When I got out of the water, I ran into transition and to my rack. With my horrible swim I was shocked to see only two bike from my rack were gone. I expected to be the last one there. I got my socks/shoes and sunglasses/helmet on quickly and off I went. I hit the mount line and jumped on my bike. I went to clip in and couldn't. No big deal, I tried to clip my left foot in. Nope. Okay...try, try again. It took me forever to get clipped in but I eventually got it and got up to speed.

Clip in the first time and not the 100th.
Bike
  • 40m 19s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 15.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a blast on this course. It is pretty flat and I enjoyed it. It actually felt faster than it was but I really had a great time out there especially once the crowds thinned out. I kept a pretty nice pace and just enjoyed the course. That is what this race was all about for me, to get back out there and have fun. Perhaps I should have remembered to drink a little water but whatever, minor detail. I played leapfrog with a few people, one annoying dude who had no idea how to ride. He would not get over to the right and had no idea how to pace himself. He'd sprint and then slow down. Rinse and repeat. Ugh. Then another girl who was very nice. We shouted words of encouragement back and forth. Eventually I dropped both of them and just rode along. This was the first time in a long time that I really felt comfortable on my bike. It was just fun.

Ride more in training. Simple.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I swapped my shoes and took off my helmet (I almost forgot that!). Grabbed my race belt and hat and ran out of transition while putting them on.

Nothing, it was good.
Run
  • 36m 8s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out running a nice and slow pace and kept it up the entire run. While it was a bit hot I enjoyed this run. If it isn't fun then why do it, right? I reminded myself of that a few times and just enjoyed the run. I certainly wasn't running fast but I was steady. The first mile went fine. During the second mile I felt my hamstrings start to complain. And I was thirsty. I grabbed water at the water stop and kept on running. I took a drink (while still running) and proceeded to spill it all down the front of me. I am quite talented. No matter, I was drenched in sweat anyway. I kept on going and when the 2 mile marker came up I was pretty happy. Grabbed more water (I walked this time and drank my water) and then kept on plodding along. I chatted with some nice dude who came up beside me and then off he went. 300 meters to go and I still was feeling pretty good. I kicked it up a bit and finished strong.

Run more, throw a few bricks in there, run in the heat. Again, simple.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and grabbed some water. I only saw blue Gatorade and passed on that. Then I grabbed my stuff so I could get home to my family and pick Liam up from his sleepover.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. This isn't rocket science here. If I want to get better then I should actually train.

Event comments:

I love this race. I think it is a great value ($30 for military) and very well organized and supported. I just went out there and had a good time. I know it's a 'race' and all but it was a huge win for me to toe the line after all that has gone on this year. I am thankful for all of the support and advice my BT friends have given me through this really hard time.

Last updated: 2011-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:20 | 586 yards | 02m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 205/273
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:40:19 | 10.5 miles | 15.63 mile/hr
Overall: 161/273
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Out and back
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:08 | 03 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 237/273
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-01 6:39 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon

2011-08-01 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3624537

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon
Way to go glad to see you out there having fun.
2011-08-02 6:39 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Great job, all that carbo loading the night before paid off
2011-08-02 7:58 AM

Uxbridge
WOO HOO ERICA!!!!! You deserve a podium for the person who has the guts to get out there and do it!!!! After a year of fulltime school all while raising 3 young kids...you trained enough to actually compete and complete this race!!!!! Hats off to ya chica!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2011-08-02 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Nice job! Glad you enjoyed the race! If you can pull those numbers on minimal training - big hats off to you! Don't tell me the last time you were in the pool was when we went for coffee!
2011-08-03 9:37 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

*\0/* *\0/* *\0/* 

Three cheers for you Erica!!  Congrats on your race, your school being almost done and raising 3 super kids.  Awesome you were out there today.  Strong work!

2011-08-04 4:10 PM

User image

Melon Presser

CONGRATULATIONS Erica and welcome back to triathlon

You RELISHED this race, you certainly deserved to, and wound up doing pretty darn well, too. Making it through the suckiest swim of your life is no small beans, and then ploughing ahead into a super smooth bike and run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naval Station Newport Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed