General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can Speedplays cause toe numbness?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-03 10:33 PM

New user

Denver
Subject: Can Speedplays cause toe numbness?!

I have been doing tris for 4 years. In late 2010, I developed a morton's neuroma in my left foot that incapacitated me for about 6 months. A lot of alcohol injections later, and I was able to compete late last year and am getting ready for my first 70.3 this coming Sunday. Before this year, I was on MTBs (Specialized sz 41) with absolutely no foot problems. I event got custom, from the podiatrist, orthotics last year, and my regular "dress shoes" pair fit in my MTBs perfectly.

This year, I wanted to finally get road shoes. I bought Specialized Pros, size 42, as the 41s seemed a bit too tight. I soon developed toe numbness in my left foot - not every now and then, but constant, numbness to where I couldn't feel the front part of my foot. I could tell my neuroma was being irritated, as it began to bother me in the run. My first sprint this year, I couldn't feel my foot for the first mile. Scary stuff, b/c I didn't want my neuroma to flare up and I have since felt it getting close. So, since then I have tried a variety of things:

• Had bike fittings/multiple cleat adjustments at two different LBS'
  • Had a Retul fitting, with multiple cleat adjustments
  • Tried two additional styles of another brand of shoes, as I was told the Specialized Pros sz 42 are too big (I have tried Giro Factors, which seem overall better, and another Giro style, which were too narrow and also caused my little toe to be pinched)
  • Tried various types of insoles, gel inserts, and my orthotics
  • All of the above in some combination (shoes, inserts, etc.)

And - my left foot still goes numb. Somewhere between mile 7 and 10. Big left toe on the inside, then moves to some of the other toes.

I am using Speedplay Zeros. I have no other problems - knees, hips, etc. are fine. I am beginning to think that I am simply not biomechanically made for road shoes, which makes me sad (and frustrated, given what I have spent so far this year). (One thing that causes me to wonder about all this is when I had the Giro shoes that were too narrow, they were pinching my left pinkie toe - but my left foot is actually slightly smaller than my right. So if the shoes were too narrow, why did my right foot feel fine and the *left* was pinched?!)

My last ride - 3 days in the mountains - I wore my MTBs. I plan to use them in the 70.3 as well (which is also, again, sad and frustrating).

I don't know what else to try. Can zeros put too much centralized pressure on the front of a foot? How can I compare shoe widths (other than buying and riding) - which road shoes brands are widest?

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas. Sorry for the long post. This has been a very long and tiring season when it comes to cycling shoes (especially since I went through something similar last year trying to find running shoes that worked with my orthotics...and I still get blisters on my arch, but that's a post for another day...)

Sarah 

2011-08-03 11:06 PM
in reply to: #3628204

New user

Denver
Subject: RE: Can Speedplays cause toe numbness?!
Oh, I have also tried wedges, shims, and cleat extenders...
2011-08-11 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3628204

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: RE: Can Speedplays cause toe numbness?!
I have heard that the speedplays have too small of a point of contact for some folks/feet, causing numbness. You may want a pedal with a wider platform.

For me, I just go with the numb toes, figure after 25 years of them, with no ill effect, what's the point of changing!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can Speedplays cause toe numbness?! Rss Feed