of 2

2011-08-05 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3629647

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overlea/Fullerton Maryland
Subject: RE: Drafting Violation Question
chris-alfonso - 2011-08-04 7:28 PM

At my first tri last month there was a guy drafting me towards the end of the leg for about a 1.5 miles. I wasn't really sure what to do and the motercycle official never drove by so no penalties were ever given. 

What is the correct thing to do in this situation?

Nothing just worry about your self and not what other people are doing in the race. Don't waste the energy, karma will catch up with cheaters.

2011-08-05 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3630159

User image

Extreme Veteran
tkos - 2011-08-05 8:41 AM

Once your front tire is ahead of the rider being passed it is up to them to leave the drafting zone. And this generally means a momentary lift of the pedals. You don't need to tap the brakes, just stop pedalling. Otherwise you are now drafting and I hate it. 

In one race this year there was a whole train of people that passed me. And they passed the officials. They were never penalized, though everyone else suffered at the next few races as the officials made us wear extra big numbers to stop drafting. ???? What was even worse was that it was people that are RD's at other events.

When in doubt, don't pass.

The other rider also has a time frame where it is legal to be on your wheel before they have to fall back.

2011-08-05 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3629571

User image

Extreme Veteran
You guys all spend a lot of energy worrying about what other people are doing during the race.  Unless you are fighting for a podium spot (which most of us arent) who cares?   I don't waste one bit of energy worrying about what other cheaters are doing. Follow the rules yourself and don't get worked up about other people.  If they draft off you then so be it, they aren't slowing YOU down any, sooner or later the officials will catch up to them.
2011-08-05 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3630620

User image

Extreme Veteran
double post

Edited by Grnfsh 2011-08-05 11:56 AM
2011-08-05 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3629816

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

guppie58 - 2011-08-04 8:58 PM My only option was to break my groove and slow down, but like I said, that wasn't going to happen. He was the one passing, so he's the one that should do the work.  I'm not there to accommodate his race.  I have a road bike so that would have meant leaving the aero position to brake.  Negative on that Idea.  But for the other guy to throw a tantrum was pretty stupid. 

You have 20 seconds to get out of the draft zone...so you can take that much time to create the space so no need to slam on the brakes.

I agree - if you don't want to deal with slowing down to get out of someone's draft -then don't get passed!

2011-08-05 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3630562

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Flapjack - 2011-08-05 11:03 AM

I am new to the sport  and am back of pack biker.  I don't know all the drafting rules like most people here.

Say four people come out of the water all at once, the leaders.  They all hop on their bikes.  Must they immediately form a line of bikes? The last guy will have to be 63 feet behind the first guy.  Its basically a single file race except for passing under very strict conditions?

If he wants to pass, the last guy would have to pass all three people in front of him?

I can see in an Ironman that this is less of a problem, but in a sprint tri, it could be a huge disadvantage.

You're assuming they're all going the same speed. They have 20 seconds to get their passes in or to get behind out of the draft. It isn't that big of a deal unless they all want to go the same speed.  You are racing and will make race decisions - like do you want to surge early and get in front of the pack or do you want to respond to other people surging. You always have a choice to speed up to 30mph for example, but do you really want to do that when your normal pace is 20mph...sometimes you may want to...but it's part of racing.

2011-08-05 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3630562

User image

Master
Houston
Flapjack - 2011-08-05 11:03 AM

I am new to the sport  and am back of pack biker.  I don't know all the drafting rules like most people here.

Say four people come out of the water all at once, the leaders.  They all hop on their bikes.  Must they immediately form a line of bikes? The last guy will have to be 63 feet behind the first guy.  Its basically a single file race except for passing under very strict conditions?

If he wants to pass, the last guy would have to pass all three people in front of him?

I can see in an Ironman that this is less of a problem, but in a sprint tri, it could be a huge disadvantage.

No, the last of the 4 guys (Call him D) would have to pass one rider, that rider would then need to drop out of his draft zone.  Then D could pass the second rider, who would have to drop back.  And then D could pass the First rider and be in the lead.

OR ... they could pass more than one person at the same time, as long as they move in, and out, of the passing zone for each rider in the allowed time.

2011-08-05 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3629623

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
ubersteiny - 2011-08-04 6:03 PM
Experior - 2011-08-04 3:44 PM
lifejustice - 2011-08-04 6:33 PM

1)  You should know if you will be able to complete the pass or not prior to entering the passing zone.  If you can pass them, do so.   If the person is riding the same speed as you and it is questionable...then hold off for a minute to see how their pace changes.  Since you caught up with them in the first place, they will most likely slow down. If they try to prevent you from passing them, then they are in violation per section d.

Just to clarify -- if they try to prevent you from passing by moving left then they are not violating the drafting rule but rather the blocking rule.

If they try to prevent you from passing by speeding up then you better speed up too and get past them or you run the risk of drafting.

What I've heard from a local RD at a race was even if they just speed up when you try to pass they can be called for blocking even if they dont move to the left directly in front of you.

Your local RD was mistaken.  There's a reasonably well-known hole in the rules that would allow someone who wants to, to force passing violations on people by speeding up.  As it stands now, the judge/marshall has the latitude to NOT call a violation...and that's probably what would happen when they recognize this tactic being used.  But the judge has no rule by which to try to punish the person speeding up.  It would not be a blocking violation if they only sped up.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Drafting Violation Question Rss Feed  

of 2