Lake Geneva Extreme Sports
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 29m 2s
Overall Rank = 92/234
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/30
Pre-race routine:

Cindy and I got up at 3am. I walked the dog, grabbed a bagel with cream cheese, banana, coffee and gatorade, we loaded the van and headed to the race site about 1 hr away. Got a bit lost getting there but got there early enough that we still got a great parking spot.
We decided that we werent going to make two trips out to LG so we decided to wait until this morning to pick up our race packets. Went pretty smooth once they opened the doors (about 15 minutes late). After that, a porta potty break, more Gatorade and off to the transition area to set up.

Event warmup:

I was a little slow getting organized this morning so I didnt have much time to do any kind of a warmup prior to the start of the swim. One of these events I will have my stuff together enough to do a warmup run and swim before the start. Did some mild stretching and calisthenics (that has got to look funny in a wetsuit) and talked to a couple of other folks.
Swim
  • 23m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

You gotta know the course was a "little short" this morning. Either that, or I'm calling the USA swim team asking them if they need an old guy on their team... haha.
Swim went really good though as far as comfort in the water, stroke, drafting (tried some of that this time) and sighting. Out of my four events this year, this felt like the best swim. In this event, I somehow ended up in the front of the group at the start instead of to the back where I have been for previous events. I was concerned about getting ran over and getting in everyone elses way, but it wasn't too bad
What would you do differently?:

I still don't feel like a strong enough swimmer to start in the front. Just a mistake this morning. I found myself pulling to the right a couple of times. Gotta work on alternate side breathing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 13s
Comments:

Still not very fast in the T's but feel like I am at least getting more comfortable. I probably would have been down in the 2's today but Cindy and I swapped wetsuits and I got one heel stuck and had to mess with it (and of course it was on the ankle with the chip). Other than that, it was acceptable.
Problem 2 at this point was when I went to jump on the bike and realize that my chain had jumped off the ring in front. The only thing I remember thinking is "Ya gotta be kidding me"... Took a couple of seconds to move out of the flow of traffic and to get it back on the ring but no real big delays.

Just need to find a rythyym in the T's. Times are getting a little better as I do more.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out onto the bike course with every intention of staying between 16-18mph for the ride...yeah right. Right out of the gate and within .5 - 1 mile, we hit a long steep hill climb that had most everyone out of thier seats by the top and a few people walking their bikes to the top. I dropped into the middle ring and managed to climb it out of the saddle, but that was one hell of a wake up call for the legs. From their it was out into the rural roads. I felt really good on the ride. I kept telling myself to slow down and save some for the run but I get this "testosterone" thing going on the bike when I see people in front of me. Kinda like my dog seeing small critters, gotta go and get it. So needless to say, I had a pretty good ride for me but it also effected the run. This course has a lot of long gradual hills on it and today, everyone of them seemed to be going into the wind too. I was mostly riding with a group of three or four other riders and we would take turns passing each other up and it kinda kept the pace up. I think I hit the biking "wall" at about 52 miles. After the turn at the school at about 52, there was a series of gradual hills with a cross wind leading up to Academy Drive (which led back down to the lake). I decided that I really couldnt keep the pace up and had to watch my speed for the last four miles or so settle in to around 17mph. Nothing left in the tank at that point. Overall, I am satisfied with the ride. I think I passed more people than passed me.

I need to ride a lot more distance rides with an increased average speed if I want to continue to hammer on the bike during races and expect to be able to run afterwards.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

No problems with this transition. It was starting to get really warm out so I took a few extra seconds to drink some water and gatorade before I started the run.

Nothing in particular. Just need more practice.
Run
  • 2h 08m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

That was awful! I got my butt kicked!!! First loop I managed to run the whole thing including Franks Killer Hill and some other unnamed for-saken hill at about the 4 mile point but I knew that I wouldn't be able to on the second loop. I realized and planned that on the second loop I would run the flats and downhills and walk the hills and aid stations. For the most part, the planned work pretty good. I did have to walk once or twice on the flats but there were times when I just thought I was going to fall over. I did manage to run a couple of the early parts of uphills to make up for the extra walks on the flats. Surprisingly, the further I got into the second loop, the better the running rythym got with the plan.

I totally blew my nutrion plan today and it really impacted me on the run. I was drinking a lot of water and gatorade and wanted to try and squeeze some hammergel early and in the middle on the run, but I could not stomach the thought of putting anything into my stomach other than fluids.
Post race
Warm down:

Cindy, Typuppy, Hiccup and Coredump were there at the end to cheer me on which was really cool but all I could think of was finding more water and someplace to sit and stretch my legs. I ate a banana, some orange slices and tried to eat bagel halves with cream cheese. CindyK, Hiccup and I then went over and had some beverages and food at a local establishment :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hammered too hard on the bike, didn't stay with my plan. Poor race nutrition.

Event comments:

A couple of big problems today. The swim course was short for all distances. There was no bike aid station until mile 35 and only two on the bike course. Run aid stations were about two miles apart.

On the bright side though, all of the volunteers, especially those at the aid stations were GREAT TODAY! A big THANK YOU to all who were there.

Last updated: 2005-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/234
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Sleeveless
Course: Out and back - short of the distance
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:51:04 | 56 miles | 19.64 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: One loop through the countryside to the west and then south (I believe) of the lake. Last year, I rode SAG for Cindy and Coredump when they rode this a week or two before the race. I had a really comfortable feeling for the ride because I at least had some fimilarity with it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:08:36 | 13.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: The Hilly Run from Hell!! Loop done twice up to the observatory and back to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-10 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: Lake Geneva Triathlon

2005-09-10 6:58 PM
in reply to: #243874

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Triathlon
Congratulations Mark! So, when are you joining the Olympic swimming team?
Seriously, that is a fantastic first 1/2 IM. You are truly a competitor.
Enjoyed your race report too.
Robbie said congrats and good for you!

Edited by bmax 2005-09-10 7:13 PM
2005-09-10 7:28 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Mark, you didn't get your butt kicked on that run, you kicked back! 

That's one heck of a first 1/2 IM.

You put in a solid race, and you're going to own it up next season.

-C
2005-09-11 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

Awesome 1/2 IM!!  I cant believe anyone would intentionally choose to do that run loop twice for a 1/2 marathon. They didnt make it any easier with the way they spaced out the aid stations. But you hammered through!! Congratulations on an great accomplishment and an awesome time.

JT

2005-09-11 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee
Mark - thanks for the kind words in my race report and GREAT JOB! I can't imagine doing this 1/2 IM at Lake Geneva yet and you did great! Way to go!
2005-09-11 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
It was great to get to meet you at the race. Awsome job!! your run time was not bad at all even with walking the hills the second time around!

2005-09-11 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago
I think anyone that does this 1/2 Ironman deserves a ton of credit. I was watching the 1/2's turn around after I was done with the Olympic and I couldn't fathom doing the run course again. Interesingly, I used the same strategy on my first and only loop through the run course that you used on your second and I was surprised at how well it worked.

Congratulations!!
2005-09-11 11:52 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Nice work, Mark! Sorry I couldn't hang around to congratulate you in person! You did what I was too chicken to do this year... and you ROCKED! You and Cindy are two RAGIN' triathletes!!! You should both be proud.

Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2005-09-12 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Wisconsin

Awesome job Mark!  You really did rock!  It was so nice to be able to hang out after the race. 
Loved reading your race report!

2005-09-12 2:37 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Who loves ya, BABEEEE?

Seriously, I'm proud as hell of you...you kicked butt.

IMOO 2007 here we come

Edited by CindyK 2005-09-12 2:37 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Triathlon Rss Feed