United States
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 51m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 68/74
Pre-race routine:

We drove down from Portland Wednesday, visited friends in Weed and Santa Cruz and made our way to Windsor Friday morning around 11:30am. After the mandatory pre-reace meeting, we attended a somewhat long packet pickup (where everything from the pre-race meeting was repeated to us) and dropped run gear at T2. Back to the hotel in Santa Rosa for some food and relaxing.
Event warmup:

Up at 4am after a typically restless night. Mini bagels with peanut butter and some Gatorade made for an easy breakfast. Drove to Guerneville, parked a half mile from the T1, and got into a rather long line. Just getting into T1 took forever! I really wish they had made T1 setup available the day before. It was all pretty chaotic. Found a spot near the tiny changing tent and set up my space. Had to use the loo and got into another really long line. With about 10 minutes before my wave start, I got to use the PortOLet and ran back to spot to get into my wetsuit. No problem slipping it on. Quick walk to the swimmers corral where my wife Jen greeting me with good luck kiss and I was into the water. Finally!
Swim
  • 1h 22m 44s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

First off: I'm a crap swimmer. Bad form. No speed. This time beat my expectations by roughly 23 minutes! I actually thrilled with my time. I felt relaxed throughout the swim leg even though it was the most crowded one I've done. It was hard to fine any open water but I finally found it on the outside, both going upstream and downstream. The current was barely noticeable. The shallow water was a bit of a drag, as it really interrupted my concentration. A lot of people walked around the turnaround but I did my best to keep swimming. It finally became too shallow at one point and I had to walk maybe 25' to find a deep enough area to allow full arm movement.
I used an excellent wetsuit stripper at the finish!
Transition 1
  • 07m 50s
Comments:

Long transition due to changing into real bike shorts. Tri shorts just don't cut it with me on rides over 75 miles. Leaving transition was tough due to a long line of people walking their bikes out onto the course. Immediately outside of T1 was hill with very, very little room to mount the bike. I did so anyway. Got up the hill no problem, waved to my wife and out onto the bike course.
What would you do differently?:

Get a tougher butt to avoid changing clothes!
Bike
  • 6h 38m 20s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.87 mile/hr
Comments:

The road surfaces were crap. Broken up with lots of pot holes and long cracks. The road surface was really a distraction for me 80% of the ride. The endless vineyards and river views were gorgeous. Truly a saving grace.
It was foggy for the first couple of hours of the ride and the air temperature must've been in the middle 50s all that time. As an Oregonian, I felt right at home without arm warmers. The sun eventually broke out but never got too hot. The rollers never seemed to end and I had a hard time finding a good rythym. I kept well fed and hydrated with the help of the 4 or 5 aid stations on course. Gu, Shot blocks, water, and Gatorade were the theme of the ride.
The nasty headwind the last 35 miles just gutted me. My average speed plummeted and I was glad to get back into Windsor High School after 112 miles.

More rides in adverse conditions would help.
Transition 2
  • 10m 39s
Comments:

Longest. Transition. Ever.
Didn't really care about my time here. Talked to my wife for awhile and then moved into T2. Changed into proper running shorts and singlet and went for another loo break as I didn't go while on the bike course.
Talked to my wife a bit more and headed out for the "run" portion.

Take T2 more seriously. This was my first Iron length race in 23 years and I was treating it as a bit of an experiment. Lessons learned.
Run
  • 6h 31m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Ha! What a disaster, plain and simple. My legs were dead from the word go. I ran a very little and walked a whole lot. Still, I gutted it out and got to the finish ahead of my pre-race goal.

I've got to run a hell of a lot more and incorporate lots of blocks. I as bad a runner as I am swimmer! I promise to get better.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some of the chicken breasts and veggies provided at the finish area but my stomach was a bit wonky at the end of the day. More water the rest of the night helped out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crap training. My running prep was woefully inadequate and it cost me. I should've been able to finish a full 60-75 minutes faster. I'm glad the weather remained so reasonable or my day would've gone longer. I plan on utilizing the services of a local tri club for future races.

Event comments:

First off, the volunteers were outstanding. They were very helpful and enthusiastic and I thank them from the bottom of my heart.
The organizational aspect wasn't as good as I thought it would be. From the prerace meeting to packet pickup to weigh-in and getting things into T2 took nearly 3 hours! After the meeting there was a massive line to get into packet pickup which wasn't even open yet. Packet pickup was a cramped madhouse. It really seemed to take forever, with vast amounts of the pre-race meeting agenda repeated to you by the volunteers. Don't get me wrong, the volunteers were friendly and helpful, but they should've been instructed a little differently.
Hopefully in the future the packet pickup will a bit more streamlined, and open immediately upon the conclusion of the noon meeting.
I still plan on coming back next year. It's a damn good race, warts and all!

Last updated: 2011-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:44 | 4224 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/74
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3, Sleeveless
Course: Double out and back course in a very shallow Russian River. 3-7' depth.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:38:20 | 112 miles | 16.87 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Double loop through Sonoma County wine region. Rolling hills the entire time with a couple of short hills, most notably Chalk Hill about a dozen miles from the finish.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:39
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:31:39 | 26.2 miles | 14m 57s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Triple out and back course on rolling hills. One majorish climb near the turnaround.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-06 1:19 AM

Subject: Full Vineman Triathlon

2011-08-06 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3631663

User image

New user
Bay Area
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon
For being what you say "a crap swimmer", I thought you did pretty well on the swim.  I hope to be as fast as you someday.  Good job!
2011-08-07 12:52 AM
in reply to: #3632202

Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon
Jason- that's the most encouraging compliment I've heard in some time. Thanks!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Full Vineman Triathlon Rss Feed