General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
Multisportscanada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 24m 42s
Overall Rank = 124/146
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 15/16
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Calgary this day before. Ate at Original Joe's for supper and had 2 pints, sandwich and veggies. In the morning had a bagel and coffee about 2 hours pre-race and some water
Event warmup:

Took a few strokes in the lake.
Swim
  • 40m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was warm and I could see in the water. It was calm. Swimming was so easy in comparison to swimming at Musreau! I was even doing bilat breathing a few times! Still did a lot of breaststroke and backstroke. Kept it nice and easy and calm. Went off course a lot, so probably swam more than 1500m. really kept my distance from other competitors.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting more in practice. Try for more open water swim practices. Practice swimming in a group more often.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Getting the wetsuit off was HARD. Felt like a slow transition.

Try something to help the suit slide off easier
Bike
  • 1h 31m 55s
  • 40 kms
  • 26.11 km/hr
Comments:

Started to really feel pain and tightness in my right hip, right knee and right quad and had to back off right away. Took in gu brew right away and started sipping at the water. Took a gel at an hour in. Coasted on the steep downhill and powered up but in a really low gear on the uphill. Felt pretty good throughout

I realy need to get into a good habit of regular stretching and core exercises so I can fix up my old lady hip!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Went pretty smoothly but I really had to pee. I was so ready to run! I couldn't wait to start my run!
Run
  • 1h 12m 12s
  • 10.3 kms
  • 07m 01s  min/km
Comments:

This is where it all fell apart! Started off feeling strong but I knew I was going too fast, so started trying to slow it down. Had to stop for a quick bathroom break. Then about 15 minutes in, I was getting awful cramping and side stitches, chest pain and back pain. I had to walk.... a lot. Every time I would run, I would have to stop and walk. I was doiubled in pain at one point. It is my slowest run EVER! I had the biggest mental battle with myself to not drop out.

I wonder if it had to do with gels. I've been cramping on runs lately but didn't experiment around with nutrition. I have a year to experiment, so I plan to try lots of different ones. Maybe it had to do with water intake, but I doubt it because I stopped at an aide station to drink a ton of water and it did not help. I think it was gas pains from the gel.
Post race
Warm down:

I think the run portion was my warm down!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hip pain on the bike. Cramps/Side stitch on the run. Being sick 10 days before the race and missing some really good training sessions.

Event comments:

The race was great. Volunteers were awesome. Amazing amount of spectators. I wish the bike portion was on completely maintained pavement as a few km of it were on poor pavement and I didn't enjoy that. Otherwise it was great!

Last updated: 2011-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:35 | 1500 meters | 02m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 128/146
Performance: Good
Suit: 19 Wetsuit
Course: Triangle shaped, 2 loops. Very clean and warm lake.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:31:55 | 40 kms | 26.11 km/hr
Age Group: 15/16
Overall: 110/146
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 4 10km loops. One steep hill (which you do 4 times), a 180 degree turn (done 4 times) a good stretch of awful pavement.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:12 | 10.3 kms | 07m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 132/146
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops of a flat course. Great spectators!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-09 10:04 PM

New user

Subject: Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Chaparral Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed