General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post iron enthusiasm...am I kidding myself? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-12 5:44 AM

Hamilton, Ontario
Subject: Post iron enthusiasm...am I kidding myself?
Maybe it's my return to caffeine after weeks of withdrawal , but I just finished my first iron distance race just over a week ago and I am totally stoked to just keep going. I want to do a stand-alone marathon at the end of October. (in a weird way, after doing a marathon after 3.8km swim and 180km bike, running a stand-alone seems like a piece of cake COMPARATIVELY). I know I'm supposed to take time to recover and I will soon enough but I am just not tired. My fitness level feels high and I'd hate to waste it. My morning runs since the race have been effortless and faster than when I was peaking. I feel strong when I bike. Is an inevitable crash coming or can I squeeze some more racing into my season before the snow flies?Anyone else have experience with this?

2005-09-12 8:06 AM
in reply to: #244498

Champion
Subject: RE: Post iron enthusiasm...am I kidding myself?
Everyone reacts differently. After Lake Placid, I felt the same way. A week later I figured I was fully recovered and ready to take on the world. I went out on a 40 mile bike ride on a loop that I normally ride. This route goes up a 2 mile climb to the summit of a small mountain. After doing the bulk of the ride, plus the mountain ascent, the last 12 miles coming home felt like a death march. I was trashed. Even a month later when I did a 1/2 marathon as part of a relay team at the Timberman, I thought I was feeling fine, but my time was horrible. I finished about 10 minutes slower than I hoped I would and the final 3 miles were a struggle.

You might feel different, and maybe you're ready for a marathon. Go out for a few rides and runs if you can before your registration deadline, to test yourself. Try a 10 mile run in the next few days and see how you feel. If it's a piece of cake, perhaps you will be OK.

Edited by max 2005-09-12 8:06 AM
2005-09-12 9:17 AM
in reply to: #244564

User image

Elite
San Diego

I agree with Max. The weekend after AZ I went on a 40 miler with my tri club. I hammered the whole way and felt great. The next week I went for a 6 mile run and could barely finish without walking. My buddy did a marathon a few weeks after and did terrible (for him, not me ). Another one of my buddies did AZ then felt so good that he signed up late for CDA, he did 2 IM in 2 months. He felt better at CDA than he did for AZ.

I think everyone is different, I just wouldn't expect too much of your Mary.

2005-09-12 6:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
It's hard to say, without knowing you, how well and how quickly your body will actually recover. Sure, there are some folks who run multiple IM's in a year, but I would say they are more likely the exceptions than the rule. An IM is going to cause a deep fatigue in your body and it's likely that you are still 'peaking' if you trained correctly. I'd give it a few weeks to see how you really feel. If you're still feeling fine/fast, then look to enter a late season race.
2005-09-19 4:50 AM

User image

Veteran
London, UK

I raced an olympic 2 weeks after an IM and felt great, and did a 10k PB a week after that.  My only training in this period was a couple of swimming sessions.  Now, 4 weeks after my IM, I've started light training again but I think this may be too soon and I probably need a couple more weeks of rest.  In my case I think maybe the peak I had for IM lasted longer than expected, so I felt great for the race and for 3 weeks afterwards but now I need to recover.  

Maybe you should just see how you go?  If you're still feeling great do the marathon, but be aware of how your body is responding and plan to take some rest at the first sign of tiredness. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post iron enthusiasm...am I kidding myself? Rss Feed