General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Do I Never Enjoy Running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-08-11 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3640114

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Why Do I Never Enjoy Running?

courtney_leone - 2011-08-11 6:24 PM I absolutely love the purity of running. 

x2

something about just going out for a run is such an escape from everything going on. i can have the worst day and a solid run just makes it so much better. i will say, though, there's something different for me between running for the hell of it and running for triathlon training. my training runs are structured with paces and distances and times, so those i don't enjoy as much. my runs just for the hell of it are much more freeing without having to worry about technical things. 

2011-08-11 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3639987

User image

Veteran
I used to hate it. Now I truly do love it. I agree that even great runs have some moments that hurt and some that are like floating. One of the things that really helped me was joining an amazing, friendly supportive running group.

I have to quote this. Running used to be a chore for me, just like any exercise. But once you get out there on nice days and can actually stand running, it becomes fun. I am starting to enjoy it. It's a good thing because it's the least expensive sport and gives you the best aerobic exercise for your heart health. When I first started, I could barely do 2 miles without wanting to pass out. I can make it 5 miles now, half run / half walking. But I still push myself as much as I can. Today it was soo nice out, near 80 degrees and just beautiful. I don't have nice scenery around here, but once I get out there I enjoy it. I think it's even safer than biking to a level as well. As you grow, you like things you didn't use to like, I am realizing that. When I was little I never liked V8 juice, I know like it a lot. Same as veges and stuff. I never would have thought i would have been doing a triathlon when i was younger. Just stick at it and don't give up, running is great to a point. If you stick at something, and get practice, you will enjoy it once you get to a certain level. Well I don't really know what else to say. I didn't like running before, it is still hard for me and on me, but as I get practice I can already feel myself improving. Don't ever give up. Words to live by.
2011-08-11 6:41 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I tolerated it until this past winter when I trained for a half mary. Something about the longer runs I found to be incredibly relaxing. Hard to describe really, but it was serene. Maybe it was the early AM run times, or the beautiful scenerey (right along the ocean).  
2011-08-11 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
learning to run in vibrams made me love running again.    Pain free and able to simply enjoy a nice night, maybe some good music and my thoughts.
2011-08-11 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Clearwater, FL
I fly solo when I train, so if I didn't like running and were determined to enjoy it I would search for a good coach that is part psychiatrist. They would understand that their job is not to get you to put in the time and distance, but to help bring you to the point where you look forward to running. After that you will put in the time and the miles on your own.

If you're a group-type person, group runs (as suggested above) would be an excellent way to go.
2011-08-11 8:21 PM

User image

courtney_leone - 2011-08-11 7:24 PM

I absolutely love the purity of running. I love running through pain, sweating like crazy and checking my garmin to see my pace. I love being so tired thinking I absolutely can't keep going but I do.
I love running when it's 100+ degrees outside, or 23 degrees or when it's pouring rain and muddy. I love waking up at 4:15am for a long run in the dark on Saturday morning.

When I'm injured and can't run, I feel depressed. I've been running since HS XC and it's part of my identity. Obviously I am a minority, lol.

Guess I sound crazy, huh?

Nope. I see there are English words up there and I recognize all of them. Just put together in that order makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Doesn't mean they're not valid, just that they do not make a lick of sense to me.

I always chuckle at the "run more and you'll see" stuff. I've done months at a time with 30 and 35 mile weeks. Nope.

On the bike I've felt what I believe to be runner's high. I love riding. Never felt anything but loathing for running, though. Maybe next year. I've been saying that since '87 though, so I'm not exactly highly confident it'll happen then either.

2011-08-11 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3640032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayberry

for the challenge of overcoming--not that I'm there yet, but I remember watching the early IM's on wide world of sports thinking how impressive and ballsy that was. 

plus, like it or not running, for me running drops more weight than anything.  that's how/why I started anyway.  I drifted into tri's when I realized I could actually do the requisit run on sprints.  

rsmoylan - 2011-08-11 5:04 PM Why then chose a hobby where running is 1/3 of the activity?  Serious question.

2011-08-11 9:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

I'm curious about people who really don't like one of the three but continue to do it.  Aquathon, aquabike, and duathlon.  I understand that not all of them are always available in all areas, but there has to be some work-around.  I have preferences and ups & downs with each, but generally do like all three.

What are the runs like?  Where are they?  Treadmill hatred is nearly (if not completely) unanimous, but not all running outdoors is great.  Need a trail?  More trees?  More wide open spaces?  More city life around you?  Does something really hurt while running?  Not enjoying the pacing you can do?

2011-08-11 9:59 PM

Running is my fav out of the three then cycling then swim. I enjoy road running just because I'm out there doing it pushing my self while clearing my mind. But i think it is important and most runners will probably agree getting into the trails and hills and not really worrying about mile times is one of the most rewarding parts of running. Last weekend i did a 12 mile trail race in ski country left the gps watch at home and just enjoyed the beauty of mother nature and tight single tracks haha. I ran much better than i thought i would probably because i just relaxed and got inspired by nature, mud, hills and sorry to say the girl with the fantastic butt and 6 pack in front of me
2011-08-11 10:01 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Try listening to an audiobook while you run. I love my audible.com subscription.
2011-08-11 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

courtney_leone - 2011-08-11 6:24 PM I absolutely love the purity of running. I love running through pain, sweating like crazy and checking my garmin to see my pace. I love being so tired thinking I absolutely can't keep going but I do. I love running when it's 100+ degrees outside, or 23 degrees or when it's pouring rain and muddy. I love waking up at 4:15am for a long run in the dark on Saturday morning. When I'm injured and can't run, I feel depressed. I've been running since HS XC and it's part of my identity. Obviously I am a minority, lol. Guess I sound crazy, huh?

This is so me!  Well, except for the 4:15am part...that's the time I'm leaving for work!

I love running and it's the part of triathlon that I look most forward to.  If it weren't for little nagging injuries I'd run a whole lot more than I have been.  Like others have said it can be like therapy to me...it helps me to forget things I don't want to think about and allows me to focus on things that need concentration.  For this reason, the long run is my favorite workout...and the longer the better!

2011-08-11 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3640072

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
blueyedbikergirl - 2011-08-11 5:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that I will absolutely detest running until the day I die. 

But, I keep doing it because I like the other 2 sports enough to endure it. 

Amen, sister. And, I have to run to get to the end of the race.

2011-08-11 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3640032

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

rsmoylan - 2011-08-11 3:04 PM Why then chose a hobby where running is 1/3 of the activity?  Serious question.

Yeah.  I was considering starting a thread posing that question yesterday...you've beaten me to it here, I guess.

For my part, I love to run.  Really do.  I'm 51 years old, have no arch in my left foot (never have had), have arthritis in that foot, a bit knock-kneed, have to wear orthotics to walk without pain from PTT...but I love running.  Mostly the discomfort is in the background and I love the sensation of moving fast.  And moving fast on my own...not because I spent thousands of dollars on a bike...but because I keep at it.

Running wasn't fun in HS when I didn't know what I was doing or when I was fat and getting off the couch after 10 years of doing pretty much nothing.  Really just had to walk for exercise then.  Only added run breaks--then started doing full-on runs--as the weight came down.  First time I tried a one mile time trial, I thought I was going to die...barely finished in 10 minutes (now I can run a mile in around 5:45-5:55).  But I kept at it...because I could feel the progress happening in my body as a result of working through the sweat and the discomfort.  (If you are very overweight and not making serious progress towards losing the weight, I'd suggest that running isn't going to be as much fun as it can be...just my .02 there, though.)

Now I can get out on a trail on a mountain ridge and just go.  Sometimes it feels great...sometimes I've got aches and pains--IT band, arthritis, calf strains--but I always feel like I'm accomplishing something.  And to get that same exercise benefit, I have to go for a heckuva lot longer on the bike (boring) or in the pool (even more boring).

2011-08-11 10:20 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I hated running until I finally ran more than 10 miles. Then I loved the long run.

I still pretty much hated all other running until I'd run a few marathons.

I have learned to appreciate the ease and purity of running. The complex bits are sports bra and shoes. That's it.

You might learn to love running if you do a lot of it and/or make it an adventure (a-books, trails/scenes, bring a camera, bring a friend, etc.) However, some never do, but it seems like they're in the minority. The worst that happens is you get fit and better at running.

For that matter I was none too keen on swimming and did as little of it as possible until I did a 10K ...

2011-08-11 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

I cannot understand how someone would dislike running.  Ok, I understand how someone that isn't good at running or is constantly injured could dislike it but once the fitness is there it's euphoric.  I see, hear, and am a part of so many things when I run that I'd never experience on a bike or in a pool/water.  As was mentioned, try unplugging, don't worry about your pace, RPE, distance, etc but make a conscious effort to immerse yourself in everything that is around you.  Let your mind wander and relax, smell the yummy bacon (curse that person) cooking during the 5am run, the noise of the traffic and faces of the drivers, the sounds of the wildlife, the color of the sky, and everything else.  Start running in new areas, actually I'm a proponent of always mixing up where you run, so you can see, hear, feel and smell new things. Just yesterday I saw three coyotes, a bobcat, numerous smiling faces, smelled some bbq, the sweet aroma of the mesquite trees, tasted the dirt in the air and watched the sunset over the valley.  How can you beat that?

Running is my Prozac.

2011-08-11 11:59 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

I posted months ago about hating running.

It gets better.  I'm still no good, but I've gotten a little faster.

Keep running.

It used to hurt right from the get go. Now, not so much.

Sometimes the 5k loop tires me out, but on days when I decide to go long I eventually get into some sort of groove where it feels a bit easier. Problem for me is that it can take an HOUR to get there.  Sometimes once I reach that point I think I could go a LOT longer.

Now boredom plays a part too. I plan to alleviate that in the near future by going off-road. I don't want to run without tracking distance and time, but I plan on picking up a Garmin and I am certain my new toy will get me out there more.

Keep at it, it gets better.

2011-08-12 1:47 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

I know this is a SENSITIVE subject for most people here, but weight matters. I didn't like running much when I was heavier. I was 35 lbs heavier before I started triathlon. It felt like I was running on a planet with 5x the gravity. My knees would hurt, my lower back ached, and after 2 miles, I was done...

Since I started training/racing, I have trimmed up quite a bit and love to run now. My knees don't ache, my back feels fine, and I can do long runs and still feel fine afterwards.

Also, consistent running has helped. If you are only running 2 x a week, you are not going to get better at it...nor enjoy it much, IMO.

I know those are not the solutions for everyone, but ones that worked for me...

Good luck!

2011-08-12 3:12 AM
in reply to: #3640002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
Chatagirl - 2011-08-12 1:48 AM

I like finishing.  That's what gets me through the running part. 

This is where I ran yesterday.  Sure beats the dreadmill.  Finding great spots to run certainly makes it better(at least for me). 

x2

2011-08-12 4:17 AM

User image

Regular
I used to hate running and I blame my hatred towards it to:  1.  Not being in shape and 2.  Trying to go too fast of a pace.  Now that I have raised my fitness level and decide before I run what my effort level should be so I don't blow up before my required time/distance desired, I have been able to enjoy running instead of dreading it.  For me it simply took more miles and understanding my limits for me to get the "runner's high".

Edited by psteiner 2011-08-12 4:19 AM
2011-08-12 4:23 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
My very first post on BT was about how I hated running.  I struggled with it for years describing it as a neccessary evil of doing triathlons.  What finally changed for me was when I decided to do something about my poor run performances in races and got myself up to running every day at an easy pace.  After about a month, I noticed that I no longer hated it.  Would I say I enjoy it - not really, I have the odd day that I feel fantastic but at least I rarely hate it anymore.    So, my advice is to run more often, slow down and as I think others have mentioned, ditch the mp3 player and gadgets.  Just go run!
2011-08-12 8:32 AM

User image

Runner
I will start off by saying that I don't always love, or enjoy, running. Shocking, but true. Sometimes, it feels like a chore. Sometimes, I'm just not interested in going. And sometimes, I don't.

And that's alright. I can't always be in love with something, and I accept that. But I have a general sense of pleasure and enjoyment that running gives me, so I try to continue.

As to why you dislike running so much, I have some general thoughts based on observations of other people who have made similar statements in the past.

Firstly, your view of running is that it is something you "have to do"; you have a mindset of running being a chore, something that you don't enjoy, but you have to do it to participate in triathlons. I hate filling out my timesheet for work every week, but I have to do it because I want to get paid. It's not fun, it's not sexy, but I have to do it.

So, why is running not fun? It seems to me that there's a couple things going on. You are admittedly out of running shape, and that's a big part of it. I don't generally get much pleasure from doing things that make me feel like hammered dog doo, either. To get through this phase, you have to focus on a couple things. First, accept the fact that the transition is going to take some time, and that it's going to be hard. Eye on the prize, as they say. Second, you need to shift your focus from training your running right now. Training involves a regimented plan, with efforts and volume and numbers and logging and such. That sounds like work to me. Instead, run as many times a week as you can. Make them short; once or twice around the neighborhood, or even your block is great. Not long enough to develop that long-lingering pain, but enough to get a bit of a sweat going, and to leave you feeling like you accomplished something. Focus on your body, and the sounds. You want to feel smooth and fluid. You want to hear steady breathing (not ragged gasps, or huffing and puffing), and soft thuds from your feet when they hit the surface (not a slap, not a loud thud, a soft footfall). Don't wear a watch, don't think about the distance, just go out and jog around for a bit.

Once you are doing that consistently, you should start to feel a little better physically. It may take longer or shorter, but you will get there. Once you do, start trying to run a little bit longer. Add in an extra loop, maybe head down a side street, whatever. You're still not worrying about timing your runs, or about how long/far you've run. Your focus is on consistency, frequency, and keeping your running simple and easy. Keep paying attention to your breathing and your feet. Pay attention to your knees, your thighs, your calves. They will tell you when you're overdoing it.

After a while, your fitness will be improving, but it will be gradual and you probably won't notice any real difference even week to week. But it will be there. Keep going. Keep things light, keep things simple and easy. Those are your watch words for running: Simple and Easy. If one day you feel frisky, hey, let it roll; go with the flow, and see where your body wants to take you today. But don't ever force that feeling. You don't want to strain, you don't want to make this into "work". You simply want to go out and get some time on your feet and some mileage under your belt.

You may never love running, and that's perfectly alright; I will never love swimming or cycling (which, on a side note, is why I don't engage in those activities). But you can learn to tolerate running enough so that you do not see it as a chore, as something to be dreaded. The key, as I've repeated over and over in this post, is to keep your running Simple and Easy, and to stick with it.

Good luck.

2011-08-12 8:38 AM

New user
Connecticut Shore

Every now and then I hot a spot on a run where it all clicks.  I feel like I could go forever; my lungs are working effortlessly, my legs are strong, I am at mile 5 and not even trying.

Every time I start a run, I have a chance of that feeling.  I don't always get it, but there is that chance.

I love that feeling.

2011-08-12 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3640433

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

axteraa - 2011-08-12 5:23 AM ... So, my advice is to run more often, slow down and as I think others have mentioned, ditch the mp3 player and gadgets.  Just go run!

To the OP, I think this is the most important suggestion: you complained that your running was painful.  Running slower will really reduce the stress on your body, prevent injuries, and let you enjoy the run pain-free and stress-free.

I suggest reading this article, the author (BarryP) has converted many to the run often, mostly slow technique.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1311512;search_string=runtraining7;#1311512

2011-08-12 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Maybe your expectation is too high? 

Running is enjoyable but is never going to compare to a roll in the hay!

The ‘joy’ of running is 90% mental…the other half is physical.

Ok, enough bumper sticker philosophy.  Focus on what you like about running instead of what you dislike about running. 

When you run, think on these things:

Being outdoors

Hearing the birds sing

Smelling someone cooking breakfast

Smelling freshly mown grass

Breathing fresh air

Sweating out impurities

Enjoying the solitude

Listening to music

Thinking thru life’s problems

Burning calories

Building muscles

Strengthening ligaments and bone

Getting some sunshine

Building aerobic endurance

Relieving stress

So what’s not to like?!  Oh, it’s ‘hard’.  But with all those benefits and many others, the physical discomfort is a very minimal price.

2011-08-12 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

When I started last year, I enjoyed the swimming and biking and hated the running. Now, I enjoy the running, tolerate the biking, and abhor the swimming.

Can't wait for the off season so that I can just focus on running and working out again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Do I Never Enjoy Running? Rss Feed  

of 4