General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Do I Never Enjoy Running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-08-12 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3639987

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Why Do I Never Enjoy Running?

I was lucky. In HS my friends got me to join the XC team with them. Like most people I asked "Run for fun? Why?" Went to practices, trained. Wasn't great. Then there was a 5K/10K race in town. I used to joke that the XC races weren't long enough for me. I would be tired at the end, but 15 minutes later I would get a major endorphin kick and be super hyper. So after never running more than 3-4 miles on a slow long run I signed up for the 10K to prove my theory. Ran the race at a faster pace than my 2 mile XC races (just over 40 minutes and won the 14-18 AG as a 14 year old).

Only thing I hate now is that the 14 year old version of myself could whoop my butt (moral of the story, don't get lazy in college and then get injured)

2011-08-12 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Probably nothing anyone hasn't already said, but.....

*Ditch the gadgets--Garmin, the heart rate monitor, even the watch if you want, at least sometimes. Just run by feel, either a known distance at a pace that is comfortable, or a set time on a random route.

*Find somewhere nice to run if possible. Depends on you. Park? Trails? Nice residential neighborhood? Run to a goal like a coffee shop? I know for me, traffic and treadmills are real energy-drainers; I love wood chip trails through the forest.  I also don't like running where there will be a lot of faster runners and I feel like I have to speed up. (There are a lot of fast runners in my hometown, so it's an issue!)

*Maybe reward yourself with something (healthy) you like at the end (within reason). A swim, a smoothie, a nice cold beer.

*Don't expect to enjoy it every time out. Until your body adapts to it, you might not enjoy it much at all. Just accept that.  Like others have said, there's a transition, sometimes a long one, when getting back into shape.  Do it sensibly and expect it to hurt a bit. Even when you're in good shape, not every run is fun, and some are downright awful. After thirty years of running, honestly, I really enjoy maybe one in five to ten. With the others, I usually feel satisfied when I'm done, okay during, and thankful for the peace and quiet, but it's nothing transcendant. Some days I'm tired and my legs feel dead from work or other training, or chronic injury issues flare up and make it less than fun.  Occasionally for one reason or another it's just horrible and an exercise in HTFU. It's just part of my day, like teaching my students and brushing my teeth. But I really miss it when it's not there.

2011-08-12 9:12 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
klowman - 2011-08-11 4:36 PM

I just don't get it,

So may times I hear people say or read articles in which people say running is so much fun, or such an enjoyable activity.  That people feel free or an escape when running, or when they were injured and not able to run they felt so bad and missed running.

I have never had these feelings, running has always been a chore for me, never fun - always painful and agonizing.  I liked training for a few triathlons I did, enjoyed the swimming and biking, never liked the running.  To me it was just a neccessary evil I had to endure in order to do the complete triathlon.

How does one learn to "enjoy" running.  I enjoy ice cream, I enjoy a day at the lake or beach, I enjoy a good movie or listening to a live band, I enjoy biking or lifting weights ...but I have never enjoyed running.

I miss the days when I could go out and run 7-10 miles, wish I have never lost that fitness and am now trying to get back into the sport, but I just do not enjoy running.

What am I missing?

I enjoy running.  Always have.  It was my first LOF since I was in grade school.
Now, if you enjoy swimming, then tell you what - you send me your positive vibes to help me enjoy swimming and I'll send you my positive vibes of my enjoyment of running and then we'll each enjoy them both!  Sound like a plan?

2011-08-13 10:10 AM

Akron, OH
I'm in the always hated camp, my favorite quote is "I only run when CHASED!". Having said that, I'm convinced that it's because I always try to run too fast and my heart rate skyrockets. Even when I tried to slow down, it would happen. The fact was that I was so out of running shape that I couldn't run slow enough to be comfortable. If that sounds at all like you, I'd strongly suggest Reading up on Jeff Galloways walk/run method. It made all the difference in the world for me. By planning walk breaks, it kept my pace down and I avoided the heart rate spikes. I can't say I loved running at that point, but I stopped dreading it. I was able to push my distance out to 18 miles over the course of 5-6 mos and ran a HM with an 8:28 overall pace by running 8 min miles and walking 30 sec every 5 min or so. When i started, one 10-11 minute mile felt like it was going to kill me. During that 5 mos I also had several runs that I felt "great" and got to experience what some folks must feel more frequently causing this mysterious love of running. I no longer walk/run on a 5k, but still do when training or when coming back from a layoff. Once I got over the pride issue of walking, I was hooked. Good Luck.
2011-08-13 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3640660

User image

Veteran
Flapjack - 2011-08-12 9:38 AM

Every now and then I hot a spot on a run where it all clicks.  I feel like I could go forever; my lungs are working effortlessly, my legs are strong, I am at mile 5 and not even trying.

Every time I start a run, I have a chance of that feeling.  I don't always get it, but there is that chance.

I love that feeling.

Yes, this. Cry I get choked up when I read that! That's how strongly those feelings are imprinted on my brain and why running is so important to me.

Do I always love it while I'm out there doing it? No. Sometimes it is not fun at all, sometimes it is like torture. But I still love it because of the potential for that blissful feeling.

Oh, and the runners' afterglow is nice, too. Laughing

2011-08-13 11:55 AM

I love to run.  My guess is you are pushing too hard?  I'd second what another poster said and leave all the electronics at home and actually just go out and take a nice *easy* run.  Walk if you get breathless, and go someplace peaceful and quiet.  I love nothing more than an early morning run down the canal bank, just me and the ducks and the occasional dog-walker.

That said, the above will not get you faster   It's about balance, if you really want to enjoy it.

Me, on the other hand, hate the swim.  But that is primarily because I suck at it.  I suspect I suck at the bike as well, but I don't know enough yet to know I suck, so I'm still enjoying that part!

2011-08-13 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
Miami

loose weight run more it will get easier but its not a sport for everyone.

i can run but its one of the least enjoyable activities i can think of.  personally i find NOTHING enjoyable about running. there was a moment or two of runners high but that was it.  hate is too strong a word.  there is just no enjoyment out of it.

however when i lost weight went below 165 lbs (i am 6'1) it became EASIER, i was faster but it was still a chore.  i much rather swim and bike. 

hence i quit and started cycling 7 times a week. 

Edited by trix 2011-08-13 12:44 PM
2011-08-13 7:26 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO

This thread continues to be on my mind and I did a lot of thinking about it on today's run.  I had 7 miles to do and my group was meeting in a location that set me up to go for a run on a trail that has been my nemesis for a long time.  Every single run I'd had for the last year plus on that trail had gone poorly.  And I have a race on it September 3rd.  I started the run with a lot of self doubt but as it progressed I felt better and better and I was getting so freaking excited that it was going so well that I was feeding off of it.  By the time I topped the last hill (this is a course with a big hill to start, then down a creek grade, then turn and come back up the creek grade and back over the hill again) I was so stoked that I caught myself punching the air in victory.  

So how does this relate?  I realized that I went into today's run so determined for it to go well that it simply did.  Mind over matter.  I think many (not all) of you who say you hate running would do yourself a world of good to just quit going out for a run thinking you hate it and just go run.  Open your mind to the freedom, peace and power that running brings many of us and I hope you'll find it can do the same for you.  

2011-08-13 7:38 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

I love running, especially trail running.  I even love running on the dreadmill, that's how much I love running.  I love the #s and consistency of my treadmill pace workouts (I own a treadmill).

I love biking.  I smile when I even think about it.

My motto with swimming: "If you haven't learned to do something well, at least learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

Wish I could find the love in swimming.  I tried many many years ago - even swam over 10K a week for 12 months and still didn't find it.  So now I swim only 2-3 DPW.   But it's okay!  You don't have to LOVE all three sports, you just have to do them.

Andi

2011-08-14 10:21 AM

User image

New Haven, CT
Nothing, I hate running, biking swimming, but I like beer and food, to do the things you like you must pay the man. I've had "good" runs but I have never enjoyed it. Never went on a bike ride I enjoyed. Swimming in the Ows I suppose I don't hate, pool, yup.
2011-08-14 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3639996

User image

New Haven, CT
DanielG - 2011-08-11 5:43 PMI've been running just about every day since I joined the Army 23 years ago. I've hated each and every step of each and every run I've ever done. Abhor is not too strong a word to explain it.It's the price I pay to be able to swim and bike amongst all these nice people and enjoy the day.
Well said sir.

2011-08-14 5:52 PM

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
I enjoy setting and reaching goals. Thinking of ways I can improve my performance. Right now I'm after a 7 min/mile 5k.
2011-08-14 7:08 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
jschristian44 - 2011-08-14 4:51 PMwe as american humans are attracted to things that are easy for us and bad for us. we are attracted to fast foods, no exercise, etc. in the long run these things will make us gain weight, etc. i have learned early on, that the things that you dislike, are better for you in teh long run. to name a few examples.running=i picked this first because its the topic of this thread. running is hard, but its benefits far outweigh anything else.vegetables=always disliked vegetables but eating them made me healthier.college=i always disliked school, but i am finding out i can get no where without it.church=is boring, but accepting Jesus is the only way to make it to Heaven one day.thats just my opinion on things. as you age, you develop more and more toleration or enjoyment for these things that you dislike. but once you realize they are good for you and the benefits they bring, you won't turn back.
Let's keep religion and vegetables out of this. Deal?
2011-08-14 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
two things you dislike, but are good for you?
2011-08-14 7:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-14 7:22 PM

Veteran
Fort Worth, Texas

I have been following this for a few days now and my view is a little different. I have always hated to run. When I decided to do triathlons I was VERY worried about the running. I tried running in the park, running on jogging trails, running on the street, running out in the middle of nowhere. Hated them all. I would find myself slowing down, speeding up, slowing down. My heart rate would spike and I could never get into a groove.

Then I discovered the treadmill. I know the dreaded treadmill. Now I run 100% of the time on the treadmill. I can let the machine control pace. I don't have to focus on the road ahead. I can just zone out and run. This has been my program all this year. The only outside runs I have done have been at races. ALL PR's. I can go and do an hour and a half on the treadmill and almost enjoy it.

My advice. Zone out and let the machine take you at a nice slow pace.

2011-08-14 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3643294

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

melbel1038 - 2011-08-14 7:18 PM I got off the couch 2 years ago and running cured my 8ish year long battle with depression.  All I know is it has truly become something spiritual for me and I could not live without it....LIKE BREATHING.  Cycling is becoming that way...swimming not so much LOL.  I won't pretend that running is not challenging or that it doesn't sometimes even hurt, but I guess maybe that's precisely the point.  Depression was numbness and running is not.  When I'm out there, I solve a lot of the days problems.  I'm alone with ME and my thoughts.  Along with all that spiritual stuff, there's just something about making progress in it:  Pushing myself, speedwork, seeing results the next time and seeing what I'm made of.  I love that too.

^^^

Awesome post! Running can be so uplifting (but sometimes its a real love/hate relationship).

2011-08-14 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3643299

Champion
New York, NY
bdye101 - 2011-08-14 8:22 PM

I have been following this for a few days now and my view is a little different. I have always hated to run. When I decided to do triathlons I was VERY worried about the running. I tried running in the park, running on jogging trails, running on the street, running out in the middle of nowhere. Hated them all. I would find myself slowing down, speeding up, slowing down. My heart rate would spike and I could never get into a groove.

Then I discovered the treadmill. I know the dreaded treadmill. Now I run 100% of the time on the treadmill. I can let the machine control pace. I don't have to focus on the road ahead. I can just zone out and run. This has been my program all this year. The only outside runs I have done have been at races. ALL PR's. I can go and do an hour and a half on the treadmill and almost enjoy it.

My advice. Zone out and let the machine take you at a nice slow pace.

omg the only thing I can think of worse than running is running on the dreadmill!!!!

2011-08-14 9:22 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
klowman - 2011-08-11 4:36 PM

I just don't get it,

So may times I hear people say or read articles in which people say running is so much fun, or such an enjoyable activity.  That people feel free or an escape when running, or when they were injured and not able to run they felt so bad and missed running.

I have never had these feelings, running has always been a chore for me, never fun - always painful and agonizing.  I liked training for a few triathlons I did, enjoyed the swimming and biking, never liked the running.  To me it was just a neccessary evil I had to endure in order to do the complete triathlon.

How does one learn to "enjoy" running.  I enjoy ice cream, I enjoy a day at the lake or beach, I enjoy a good movie or listening to a live band, I enjoy biking or lifting weights ...but I have never enjoyed running.

I miss the days when I could go out and run 7-10 miles, wish I have never lost that fitness and am now trying to get back into the sport, but I just do not enjoy running.

What am I missing?

I did not read all the responses... so forgive me if I am repeating what someone else has said.

Interestingly enough, myself and another coach for our tri team were talking today about people who run at too high of a HR. They run at too high of a HR, they are use to being at that intensity... and they are also plagued by pain, and eventually injuries.

So, I guess my question would be this: Have you tested for your HR zones... and have you built a base running in zone 2?

While I haven't always LOVED running... I have had some agreeable times with it, where it made me feel really awesome. I had a good year of running where I PR'ed the heck out of my races. Then I got injured and now for the past year running has been a painful chore. Of course, the last 3 months haven't been too bad, and I have done 90% zone 2 running in 100+ degree heat. And I injury free. Might be something to this zone 2 stuff.

2011-08-14 9:23 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
melbel1038 - 2011-08-14 7:18 PM

I got off the couch 2 years ago and running cured my 8ish year long battle with depression.  All I know is it has truly become something spiritual for me and I could not live without it....LIKE BREATHING.  Cycling is becoming that way...swimming not so much LOL.  I won't pretend that running is not challenging or that it doesn't sometimes even hurt, but I guess maybe that's precisely the point.  Depression was numbness and running is not.  When I'm out there, I solve a lot of the days problems.  I'm alone with ME and my thoughts.  Along with all that spiritual stuff, there's just something about making progress in it:  Pushing myself, speedwork, seeing results the next time and seeing what I'm made of.  I love that too.

There have been studies done that show running can help with depression... and you are living proof of those studies. Nice to know!

2011-08-14 9:51 PM

Lafayette, CO

melbel1038 - 2011-08-14 6:18 PM I got off the couch 2 years ago and running cured my 8ish year long battle with depression.  All I know is it has truly become something spiritual for me and I could not live without it....LIKE BREATHING.  Cycling is becoming that way...swimming not so much LOL.  I won't pretend that running is not challenging or that it doesn't sometimes even hurt, but I guess maybe that's precisely the point.  Depression was numbness and running is not.  When I'm out there, I solve a lot of the days problems.  I'm alone with ME and my thoughts.  Along with all that spiritual stuff, there's just something about making progress in it:  Pushing myself, speedwork, seeing results the next time and seeing what I'm made of.  I love that too.

Wow, that is powerful.  And I can see how effective it can be.  When my 23 year old cousin passed suddenly almost 2 years ago I had just joined a running group 2 weeks before hoping to like running one day.  Their friendship and support in both my personal life and in running is part of what got me through those dark times.  I remember how life affirming every step, every breath was.  I truly believe there was a higher power that pushed me to the group just before her death enabling me to find the relief I did in running.  

Edited by COSkiGirl 2011-08-14 9:51 PM

2011-08-14 11:17 PM

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
klowman - 2011-08-11 3:36 PM

I just don't get it,

What am I missing?

You learn to love running by actually running. Your logs are either woefully incomplete, or you do so little running as to be non-existent.

I was a lifelong hater of running. It was not something I enjoyed, so it wasn't something I did. One year to maintain some hard gained fitness when I was almost 45, I started running. Hated it, but kept doing it to keep my fitness. Gradually, the more I did it the more I started liking it. I just kinda dinked around for a few years with no real purpose.

Then I started setting some running goals. They were personal and mostly based on seeing how much I could do in a week/month/year. I went from running a couple hundred miles in a year to over 3100 miles last year. This year my goal is to run every day. Along the way all that running helped improve my race times and results - and that made it even more fun.

Get out there and do it. Challenge yourself to run 500/1000/2000 miles in a year. See if you feel different after you actually do it.

2011-08-15 1:12 AM

Master
Redlands, CA

When I was a kid I planned to run from San Francisco to Miami, but it never happened

I will say its odd and somewhat odd that so many people dislike at least one aspect of triathlon;  all 3 sports alone have alot to offer.  I think I'd rather be 'chicked' than passed by someone who doesn't even like running!

2011-08-15 2:11 AM

melbel1038 - 2011-08-15 8:18 AM  I'm alone with ME and my thoughts. 

That right there is partly why i dont like running, too much time with just my own thoughts drives me mad (i'm hanging out for my new phone armband to hurry up and arrive from Hong Kong so I can listen to some tunes whilst i run). My own thoughts are my own worst enemy.

Cycling on the hand i find so relaxing and unwinding and my thoughts dont get in the way. With swimming i'm too focused on my stroke or i'll drown (really not a good swimmer lol).

I use to hate running because my fitness wasnt there and i just couldnt seem to run very far. Now that i've been working on it over winter in prep for my first City to Surf I am growing to enjoy the endurance of it and the freedom. But my own thoughts are an absolute killer.

Edited by Grilledmonkey 2011-08-15 2:13 AM
2011-08-15 10:12 AM

Pro
Twin Cities

What am I missing?

Nothing.

You like movies and ice cream and long walks on the beach and bike rides and bench press. You don't like running. Pretty simple.

If we all liked the same things, the world would be a boring place, no?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why Do I Never Enjoy Running? Rss Feed  

of 4