General Discussion Race Reports! » Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Emmett, Idaho
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 57s
Overall Rank = 1/11
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Event warmup:

Swam around for a little bit.
Swim
  • 21m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

When the gun went off I took off at a good pace. I saw some other good swimmers to my right so I gradually moved over to them. 1st place just took off from right around the first buoy and ended up about a minute and a half ahead, so I had no chance to stay with him. I did settle into a nice rhythm with Rick though. We were swimming side by side to the turn buoy where I had a half a body length lead on him. Once we turned back towards the finish he was on my feet for about a 100 yards. Then he passed me and I jumped on his feet. My shoulders started to get a little tired and he started to pull away from me. I finished about 6 or 7 seconds behind him I think. Came out of the water in 3rd place overall though so I was happy. I think the course was a bit long because 1st place should be around 17-18 minutes usually and he was at 20+.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Long run to the bike racks. I had my top off and wetsuit down to my waist by the time I got there. Took a bit too much time getting my helmet on. Stuffed my suit into the bag and then ran my bike to the mount line. Jumping onto the bike I couldn't get the shoes to stay up so it wasn't that fast of a mount for me.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I used the first few miles of downhills to really try and get my legs under me. I got passed by about 6 people in the first few miles and dropped back to 9th overall. After mile 5 I started pushing hard. I was holding a steady 25-26MPH for the next 10 miles or so. Unfortunately this is because there was a nice tailwind. Once we turned to go up the little hill, I really tried to attack the hill and I think I used up too much energy here. After the u-turn, I dropped my chain trying to get into my big ring. Tried to catch it back on, but no luck. Jumped off and manually put it back on. Probably cost me 20 seconds here. My legs were very tired from pushing up that hill and I didn't recover from it until we turned around and started heading back towards town. Unfortunately there was a head wind and I was struggling to push 19-20mph now. My legs were exhausted and the head wind was killing me so I could see my average speed dropping fast. I pushed as hard as I could the last few miles, but I just had nothing in my legs. Hit the aquabike finish line and pulled my bike out of the way.
Post race
Warm down:

Ended up 4th fastest swim and 47th fastest bike split for the olympic distance racers. Better swim than last year, but worse bike than last year. I was in 12th place overall after the bike.

Event comments:

This is a great race. Rudy Project donated some prizes for the winners so I won a brand new pair of sun glasses, which was awesome. They also gave out sweet cowbells to the overall winners and I got one of those as well. This is an excellent race.

Last updated: 2011-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:48 | 1640 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/11
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:51 | 24.85 miles | 21.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/11
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-14 8:32 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
Subject: Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-08-20 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3642741

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course

Nice race Josh! You are a freakin' dolphin, wish I could channel you in my swims I also like your bike pace but you mentioned it was slower than last year, guess I'd be let down if that happened to me, stupid chain, urghh, why do they have to drop!!! I saw you mentioned that your shoe wouldn't stay put when you were mounting, what if you used those rubber band things I see in the magazines? I think they're supposed to help with that...I'm maybe gonna try this next season. Oh, also, if your interested, Jimbo and Sean go to some kind of time trial on Thurs. eve's at I think 7pm, it's a 10mile all out bananza, you may like that kind of thing..me not so much, so I skip it.

Well, I'm glad your entering the running world again, take it slow and leave the watch at home, just get in the groove, it'll grow back on ya.

Deirdre

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emmett's Most Excellent Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed