General Discussion Race Reports! » Bangs Lake Multisport Festival - Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bangs Lake Multisport Festival - Duathlon - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wauconda, Illinois
United States
RAM Racing
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 41s
Overall Rank = 2/99
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Warm-up was running up and down the sidewalk along the street. Various short jogs in the parking lot too as start time kept moving around. Light stretching, high knees and other various things to loosen the hips and legs up.
Run
  • 21m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Hoping to keep it at or under 7. Not sure about pacing as I haven't done a duathlon before. Went for a hair under threshold. Course talk was awful. The guy doing this didn't know where to send us (likely was assigned to it at last minute) and had to constantly radio for directions. We all still ended up going the wrong way at first. Instead of restarting they just redirected us to the chutes we were supposed to go down. Only the mob was now backwards, with slow people in front and fast people in back trying to get through. Once out of the chutes we could go wherever and it was fine.

Very happy with pace, as it was closer to 6:34/mile when adjusting for the added distance. Happy to keep effort as high as I did because I haven't gone that hard in awhile.
What would you do differently?:

Insist on better directions for how to proceed. Get the guy on the bike to start near us, or at least at the first turn, not 300+ yards away past a couple turns.
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Made it through effectively. Doing ok with shoes on the bike.

Not really anything.
Bike
  • 29m 13s
  • 19 kms
  • 39.02 km/hr
Comments:

Pushed myself on the bike course. 24.2 mph average. Was watching power, HR and RPE throughout to balance it all out. Some hills here and there, but it was big ring all around. Wind kept me from feeling like I was really flying. Shared course time with She-Bangs women's sprint tri. They were spaced well, so just had to dodge them. Glad to avoid the crowds of the main Olympic crew.

Power output was 309 watts average (not normalized). Wanted to break 300 and did that. First half (roughly) was 322 and later was 292. More uphill in first and all of that was into the wind. Second part speed was actually a full mph faster.

Work on position. In spite of my size (6'3" 182 lbs) think I should be faster for my power output. Body is flat when setting position, but I raise my body up a little too much at times, kind of shrugging shoulders forward (ie down). Head is also positioned too high. Increase neck flexibility. Need a different pair of sunglasses too. The bar on the top affects my sight when head is in the right position.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Made it through ok. Got feet out of shoes on a downhill near the end, so barely lost any speed from that.

Not really anything.
Run
  • 20m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Same idea as the first run, just a little more tired going in. All the bricks seem to be helping as my legs did really well in getting adjusted. Saw first place near the turn-around and no one else in the du. Saw a few others not too far behind after I turned around, so made sure to keep effort up. Picked it up in the last mile.

Ran this pretty well for what I wanted to do.
Post race
Event comments:

Fun day for a race. Really enjoyed the du as an alternative to the tri. Wanted to get in a hard bike/run and this was a great way to do it.

After doing a couple RAM racing events, these guys really need to get it together with course talks. They have potential, but are really lacking here. They wait too long to have them and give no description of starts, transitions or finishes, often the most confusing sections. Information is inconsistent between website, hand-outs and boards. People at the site didn't know too much outside of their task at hand. Understandable for the most part as they are volunteers, but not from the guy who's running that segment of the race. They do seem like they want to put on a nice event, so hopefully they listen. Overall the event was still a lot of fun.

Last updated: 2011-08-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:14 | 03.11 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/99
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:13
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:29:13 | 19 kms | 39.02 km/hr
Overall: 2/99
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Course was fun. Wind was noticeable, but not overbearing. We all had to face it.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:28 | 03.11 miles | 06m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 0/99
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-14 6:13 PM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: Bangs Lake Multisport Festival - Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bangs Lake Multisport Festival - Duathlon Rss Feed