General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-08-15 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Paleo Diet!

I've struggled with weight my entire life.

I've tried everything - calorie counting (WW) being the most sucessful method for me in the past (lost an average of 0.5lbs/week)

My husband just bought me The Paleo Diet for Athletes, and I've been (sort of) following that for the last two weeks, and I'm down 6 lbs in 2 weeks!  WITHOUT counting calories!

I'm just wondering who else is doing this.  What tricks have you found?  How do you eat out (we do a lot)?  What are your favorite recipes (both "normal" and "recovery").

I know it's a "restrictive" diet, but it is SO freeing for me to be able to eat whenever I want, to not have to weigh and measure all my food, and not to push off snacks because "I only get 1, and don't want to be hungry later."

2011-08-15 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3644060

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Paleo Diet!

rbtrumpet,

I have been considering the paleo diet. I have been reading a lot about it regular paleo diet. how is the atheletes different than regular. A few more carbs?

where did you get the book? what are your goal for the diet?

Good luck. I hope to make it inside of 180 I am hovering right around 190 right now. so i have a little over 11 more pounds to loose. I think that paleo might be the trick but my wife and I are not sure of the cost to eat in that manner.

2011-08-15 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

I read Paleo Diet for Athletes last year, then plopped it on the bookshelf.  Then I was sidelined from ALL athletic activity with a complicated stress fracture from Sept-Dec.  Gained 10 lbs.  Lots of pity parties!

In January I resumed training and went back to my regular "clean" diet: lowfat dairy, grains, lean proteins, veg.  Weight did not budge.  I was frustrated and went back and read the Paleo book again and ordered The Paleo Diet Cookbook (awesome).  I went 100% Paleo in March and haven't looked back.

Now, I'm standing by for all the naysayers to jump in... but here's what it did for me:

• Lost 20lbs and am currently at 135-138 - for two years prior could not get past 150 (ok I got to 149 for one day) despite my healthy grain/dairy diet and training for triathlons.
  • Perceived recovery times are shorter - I say "perceived" because recovery times are a little ambiguous and are completely individual - but I have limited or no DOMS after hard workouts where in the past I would need 2+ days of rest.
  • My skin is healthier - lifelong acne sufferer with the clearest skin I've ever had, and the mysterious rash that plagued my chest area has completely disappeared.
  • The quality of my sleep has improved dramatically
  • Zero heartburn or indigestion of any kind (used to have 3-4x month)
  • Zero migraines (used to have at least 1 a month)

I do not miss dairy.  I do not miss bread or grains and I used to eat oatmeal 3-4x week.  I eat more variety of fruits and vegetables now than ever before.  I put spinach in my smoothies (yes, it's good; no you can't taste it).  I had a 40 minute PR in my Oly this year, most of which I atttribute to being at a lighter racing weight and better fueling.

My blog has some resources and suggested links in the sidebar if you want more info, or email me personally and I'll answer any questions the best I can.  I'm not a nutritionist or by far an expert, but there are some ins and outs that I can go into more detail.

I have no trouble eating out - most restaurants you can order lean protein with a side of veg - I will ask for more veg instead of bread/potato.  You'll begin to question why you eat out when you can make great dinners at home.  Red wine is OK.

As far as cost, when you aren't buying processed, packaged food, diet soda, etc. you'll have more $$ to spend on fresh fruits and vegetables.  I just told my husband for our anniversary I would rather have a nice piece of fish than flowers. :-)

I adhere to the plan about 98% of the time.  I will have a piece of fine chocolate once in a great while, or a bite of something off my husband's plate, or a cold beer after a race or long ride.  But those are rare exceptions.

I urge you to try it for 30 days and see for yourself.  You can experiment with what works for you.  It's not so much of a diet as a lifestyle.

Edited by DiOnMaui 2011-08-15 5:54 PM
2011-08-15 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran

Paleo for Athletes allows carbs (actually recommends) within a certain window of working out.  I don't like diets that complete eliminate food groups - so I like that on this one I can eat carbs around my workouts, and I can "cheat" with dairy (not really cheating - they say to aim for 95% Paleo, 5% "cheat")

My goal is weightloss.  I took a year an a half off working out/dieting (planning my wedding and other stressful stuff - I stress eat), and gained 35lbs - I was hovering at 5 over goal, so I had 40 (34 left) to lose.  

My other goal is also to improve athletically - I like that Paleo focuses on fast recovery and muscle building

2011-08-15 6:03 PM

User image

Veteran

DiOnMaui - thank you!  I'll check out your blog - like I said I'm trying to follow it, but it's very overwhelming (for starters).

I'm impressed - even with just a "good attempt" I've still lost weight!

2011-08-16 5:59 AM

User image

Regular

I tried the diet for a little over a week.  I didn't lose weight, but I did feel better.  I have stomach issues and have for a long time.  I think it's an excellent diet, and I mean diet in the lifestyle sense of the word.  Here is my problem with it-I hate meat!  I mean I can force myself to eat it, but gag with each bite and have to wash it down with water.  I like veggies and I love fruit!  So after the 1st 3 days, I quit eating meat and just started mainly eating fruits, veggies, and nuts.  So in the long haul, it wasn't going to work for me without the meat.  I need my beans for protein.  I have cut back on the dairy.  In fact I gave up greek yogurt (which I love) and my stomach is feeling much better.  I have very little milk but when I have dairy I have stomach distress.  I think I have found out that I am lactose intolerant.  Good luck with the diet, because if you like meat I think one can be very successful with it.

jami   

2011-08-16 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran

thanks for the responses

Di I am impressed with what I have read in your post. I have lost 25lbs working out and eating less in the past 10months.  I am wondering if Paleo would be want I need to make it to my goal weight. 175-180lbs. I am 5'9" and everything says my i should be 169 and I don't think I would like to get down to that weight. Might look anorexic! :/

Meat is expensive! I am not sure my family would be able to afford it. U don't think it costs more than regular food? Have you all ever watch jamie oliver's food revolution?

Do you feel that you eat less or more than before?

Does anyone have a book they would be willing to share? I would pay for shipping media rate?

Edited by ridingpastor 2011-08-16 8:04 AM
2011-08-16 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3644832

User image

Veteran
rbtrumpet - 2011-08-15 5:54 PM

Paleo for Athletes allows carbs (actually recommends) within a certain window of working out.  I don't like diets that complete eliminate food groups - so I like that on this one I can eat carbs around my workouts, and I can "cheat" with dairy (not really cheating - they say to aim for 95% Paleo, 5% "cheat")

thanks for clarifing about the carbs. I have tried to restrict carbs but it is hard to do. I like bread, pasta, and stuff. I love me some cold milk after a workout. I have drank milk after workouts even while in high school during cross country.

does this mean I can't eat this delicious creamy ice cream my wife bought a few days ago?

2011-08-17 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3645309

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
ridingpastor - 2011-08-16 3:01 AM

Meat is expensive! I am not sure my family would be able to afford it. U don't think it costs more than regular food? Have you all ever watch jamie oliver's food revolution?

Do you feel that you eat less or more than before?

Does anyone have a book they would be willing to share? I would pay for shipping media rate?

All great questions!  There are a lot of decisions/compromises you need to consider when eating Paleo.  Here are a few:

1.  Prices/Cost:  Even though there are only 3 of us in the house (my husband and MIL plus me), we frequently shop at Costco and buy in bulk whenever we can.  Watch for sales and stock up.  GET A FOODSAVER.  If you prep and freeze your food properly it will last for several months in the freezer, resulting in huge savings.  You may not be able to afford organic grass fed meat or wild seafood (or it might not be available where you are).  Try to buy the best you can afford and buy the really good stuff when it's on sale.  My husband and I also hunt (there is an abundance of axis deerm pheasant and chukker's (sp?) on our island so we supplement with game when we can.  I recently bought a 3lb piece of wild salmon on sale at WF and it was a great deal.

Dairy and grains (cereal especially) are very expensive in Hawaii, so we see a considerable cost savings when we don't buy these items.

I loved Food Revolution and loved it.  I work for a Boys & Girls Club, so I am surrounded by kids and see what they eat on a daily basis.  It breaks my heart.  I am doing what I can to instill change at our 6 clubs, but it's a big job!  I am the accounting manager, so I don't work directly with the kids, which makes it even more of a challenge.  I speak up on health and fitness issues whenever I can.

2.  I eat a LOT because I train a LOT.  :-)  But I eat more leafy greens and veg to fill me up.  I eat more fruit than the average Paleo person because I need the carbs for fuel.  I eat a lot of sweet potatoes and pumpkin.  We have an avocado tree in our back yard and I am patiently waiting for them to be ready (probably not until November/December). 

3.  Books - try your local library to check them out before you buy.  Some are just informative and you won't need to have them on hand, but the cookbooks are invaluable.  See if you can find a used copy for cheap on Amazon.

As an aside, Scott has a great post on 7 things to consider about food:

http://scotttriingforkona.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-am-fat-kid-racing-weight-and-whole_16.html

2011-08-17 9:34 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
I was curious about something that I read on a paleo website. Some people follow paleo and eat only lean, organic and grass fed meat, Others add lots of fat to their diet (bacon, lard). Both sites called themselves paleo. Which one is it?
2011-08-17 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3648279

Scottsdale, AZ
jezzieswims - 2011-08-17 9:34 PM

I was curious about something that I read on a paleo website. Some people follow paleo and eat only lean, organic and grass fed meat, Others add lots of fat to their diet (bacon, lard). Both sites called themselves paleo. Which one is it?

Both can work, just depends on what is available, what you can afford, etc. I try to buy ONLY grass fed, organic beef - better ratio of omega 6/3, leaner and higher quality. BUT, if you can't afford it or find it in your area, then regular meat is fine. Paleo would rather you eat meat of any kind than eat legumes/grains etc. I don't usually buy organic chicken/pork since it isn't on sale as much as the beef is, but don't really worry about it and just try to buy quality cuts, from trusted sources and not stress about it too much.
Same goes with bacon. Try to find organic, nitrite free kinds, but if I cant, I either buy turkey bacon or regular pork bacon.
A quote from the paleo solution podcast with Robb Wolf: "If you can hunt it or hit it out of a tree with a stick, then it is fair game" :-)!
Protein and fats keep you full, and both are YUMMY!

2011-08-17 10:38 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Like Di, since I train a ton, I allow myself to eat more fruit, sweet potatoes etc than most Paleo followers. If I was really serious about getting lean (which I should one of these days) then I would cut out most fruit and all other sugar sources. But, I can't do that while training for a HIM so try to follow The Paleo Diet for Athletes more than strict Paleo. There are differences and it can get confusing. Just aim for lots of protein, with every meal, LOTS of veges, and a good dose of healthy fat. My fav is cooking with coconut oil and avocados! I need to work on limiting the amt of nuts I eat...kinda can get carried away and they should be considered a 'treat' or condiment (to salads etc) but not as primary protein source due to high caloric content. Peanuts are a no-no (a legume) and Almonds are high in omega 6 (proinflammatory) so shouldn't be overdone.
Dairy seems to be the gray area...I think that if dairy bothers you, then stay away from it, but if you are ok with it, then a little from quality sources is ok...esp with fermented dairy (kefir).

check out everydaypaleo.com for some great recipes and good blog too!

I have to say since starting I feel amazing! More energy, better faster recovery, my face cleared up immediately (and will show when I 'cheat'), no more IBS or late afternoon brain fog. I am sold. Not much weight loss right now for me (which I could get rid of 5-10) but again, not my priority right now. Once my race is done in Oct...will get a bit more serious and not have to worry about comprimising performance!
2011-08-18 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran

wow - thanks, runspingirl!

Talk about overwhelming....it's OK, I'll get the hang of this.

Here is what I'm trying to do, I *think* it corresponds to the PDFA...(please feel free to comment)

my "5% cheat" usually consists of 1/2 a packet of raw sugar and some milk in my coffee.  I also use a fat-free sour cream dip (based on Trader Joe's sour cream which is super low cal!) for my veggie sticks - all-in-all about 50-60 calories/day

I am not limiting fresh fruit or sweet potatoes, at least not until my weightloss stalls, but I have so much to lose that I think I'm fine for a while

I am using dried fruit and seeds sparingly

besides for the mentioned above, I have cut out all dairy ( - I LOOOOVE cheese!)

I will eat whole grains, potatoes and fruit juice in limited quantities, directly after a workout (with protein and veggies - particularly highly alkaline veggies & fruits - I'm trying to balance that)

I buy the organic, grass-fed beef from Trader Joe's - chicken, turkey, salmon, etc... are just from the super market.  I also do not buy organic veggies (the book said it's not that big of a difference), but will buy local whenever I have the chance.

I will only *buy* lean meats, but if non-lean meats are all that is available to me (i.e.  I'm going to a friend's BBQ tonight - he usually cooks steaks), I will eat them.

What about suppliments - I know the book has a chapter on it (that I have just skimmed) - but if you do take any, what are you taking?

2011-08-18 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

I made this the other night and it was SO GOOD!

I had a couple of leftover baked sweet potatoes (I always make extra).  I put them in my mini food processor with almost a tablespoon of coconut oil and about an ounce of walnuts and pureed it.  YUMMY!  We ate it with grilled salmon and strawberry/spinach salad.

As far as supplements go, I take Vit D with Calcium, fish oil, Vit E and magnesium.  Occasionally I take an EmergenC, but I eat a lot of citrus so don't think I'm missing out on C.

The only thing I've noticed since taking the vitamins is that my fingernails are a lot stronger.  Laughing

2011-08-18 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3649196

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
DiOnMaui - 2011-08-18 12:58 PM

I made this the other night and it was SO GOOD!

I had a couple of leftover baked sweet potatoes (I always make extra).  I put them in my mini food processor with almost a tablespoon of coconut oil and about an ounce of walnuts and pureed it.  YUMMY!  We ate it with grilled salmon and strawberry/spinach salad.

As far as supplements go, I take Vit D with Calcium, fish oil, Vit E and magnesium.  Occasionally I take an EmergenC, but I eat a lot of citrus so don't think I'm missing out on C.

The only thing I've noticed since taking the vitamins is that my fingernails are a lot stronger.  Laughing

Do purple sweet potatoes come out the same as regular ones?  I got some in my organic veggie box and wondered if I could do something similar with them.  Have you ever tried it?

2011-08-18 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3648632

Scottsdale, AZ
rbtrumpet - 2011-08-18 8:23 AM

What about suppliments - I know the book has a chapter on it (that I have just skimmed) - but if you do take any, what are you taking?

I take 1000mg Calcuim (I have borderline osteopenia), 1000mg Vit D, Fish oil, Magnesuim, probiotics and B complex. Sometimes I take a multi but they will upset my stomach unless I have a big meal with it.

I also do way better with no gluten...so I avoid all gluten containing foods and if want something crunchy...go with Popcorn or gluten free non GMO corn chips. Sweet potatoes are a staple! I usually cut them up, coat with coconut oil, some spices and bake them for sweet potato fries. These are easy to grab after a workout so a perfect left-over.
I wouldn't worry about the leanness of the meat. I know the PDFA recommends only lean meats, but if all is available is ribs...then go for it :-)...enjoy yourself. Better than chowing down on a bowl of pasta salad and baked beans (yuck).

It is always to bounce ideas off each other esp with something like this...so let us know how it goes!

2011-08-19 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran

stupid questions:

where would I find coconut oil and "protein powder from eggs" (I think that was on Di's blog)?

2011-08-19 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3650256

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
rbtrumpet - 2011-08-19 8:02 AM

stupid questions:

where would I find coconut oil and "protein powder from eggs" (I think that was on Di's blog)?

No idea about the protein powder, but you can find coconut oil even in grocery stores (or health food stores).  It would probably be kept near the other oils in a grocery store OR if they have a specific "health foods" aisle it could be there too.  It's in a jar about the size of a peanut butter jar (typically) and if the store is cold enough it will be solid white.

It liquifies at a fairly low temp.  I know my house is getting too warm when the coconut oil isn't solid anymore.

2011-08-19 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Wallingford, CT
Many stores have coconut oil, try to find one that is "unrefined". Nutiva makes a good one, which I get at our local health food store in the larger jar, Shaw's carries coconut oil in the smaller jars. Wholefoods has it as well but you are probably going to pay a little more.

I spread it on my toast/waffles or mix it into my oatmeal after it has been made. And I swear that this is the single food that has helped with my knee aches, my coworker has rheumatoid arthritis and she told me she takes 2 tablespoons a day of coconut oil and her aches have lessened. I believe her.
2011-08-19 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3650412

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Boosted333 - 2011-08-19 10:13 AM Many stores have coconut oil, try to find one that is "unrefined". Nutiva makes a good one, which I get at our local health food store in the larger jar, Shaw's carries coconut oil in the smaller jars. Wholefoods has it as well but you are probably going to pay a little more. I spread it on my toast/waffles or mix it into my oatmeal after it has been made. And I swear that this is the single food that has helped with my knee aches, my coworker has rheumatoid arthritis and she told me she takes 2 tablespoons a day of coconut oil and her aches have lessened. I believe her.

Does this mean just straight off the spoon or in food?  I use it to cook with but never tried it just straight. Want to make sure before I try it :-)
2011-08-19 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Wallingford, CT
I would put it on or into foods, after the foods have been cooked. Don't "nuke" the coconut oil, it destroys it. I wouldn't cook with it on high temps either. That is why I spread it on my toast after i toast them, same with oatmeal - after cooking.

My coworker was eating the coconut oil right off the spoon, she would just heat it up a little. I tried it and its not good, at all. I told her to spread it on toast, add some cinnamon, honey, pb or nutella... The best snack ever (going against Paleo here, hehe).

You can also look for this... Its called Coconut Manna.
https://store.nutiva.com/coconut-manna/

Edited by Boosted333 2011-08-19 11:14 AM

2011-08-19 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3650256

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Re: purple sweet potatoes - YES! They are wonderful.  They are a little drier than garnet yams, so they are best cubed up and steamed until tender.  You can eat them that way or whip them with some coconut milk.  They will get a little stiff, but they are so good.  I even eat them cold.

Coconut oil - even most supermarkets are carrying it - usually with the specialty oils (walnut, olive, etc.), but ask if you can't find it.  I've found it in the strangest spots.  Shop around.  It isn't cheap.  But it only takes a little.  I like WHole Foods 365 brand because it's the most reasonable.  Try sauteeing spinach in a little. 

Coconut Manna - so good!  I whip it into sweet potatoes or add a little here and there to things.  It was very expensive here ($11 a jar), so I am savoring it.  Still researching the best ways to use it.

Bacon - yes, I eat bacon.  You're going to find a lot of variations in people who follow paleo.  Some are stricter than others. 

Eat veg with every meal/snack - one of the best pieces of advice I've read recently.  I still probably don't eat enough, so am looking for ways to incorporate it.  I like to cook and love food, so this is a fun adventure for me.  But you can go with the basics and you don't have to stress.

Oh, and EGG WHITE PROTEIN.  I'm havign a hard time finding an affordable source in Hawaii.  I think the last batch I bought was NOW at Mothers in So. Cal.  One store here carries MRM, but only in Vanilla which has stevia and I can really taste it and don't care for it.  Whole Foods will order it for me, but it's a premium price.  Most places won't ship it to Hawaii - you'd think it was an illegal substance or something.  Perhaps because it's a powder?  But most health food stores carry it with the whey and soy proteins.  FYI - chocolate flavor may or may not be paleo depending on who you ask.  I'm not particularly fonf of chocolate anyway.  I will have a small pieceof very fine chcolate every now and then. Surprised

2011-08-22 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran

This thread has answered so many questions, and genereated so many others!  haha - you guys are great .

Q about coconut oil: so I looked for it at 3 grocery stores this weekend, and couldn't find it - gonna try Whole Foods today.  However, I was looking at the book, and coconut oil is not one of the "recommended" oils, so I was wondering if it still counts as Paleo or not?

2011-08-22 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3653478

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
rbtrumpet - 2011-08-22 9:49 AM

This thread has answered so many questions, and genereated so many others!  haha - you guys are great .

Q about coconut oil: so I looked for it at 3 grocery stores this weekend, and couldn't find it - gonna try Whole Foods today.  However, I was looking at the book, and coconut oil is not one of the "recommended" oils, so I was wondering if it still counts as Paleo or not?

So weird.  The grocery stores around here don't carry ANYTHING weird and they carry coconut oil!  What sections were you looking in?

2011-08-22 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3653478

User image

Master
PNW
rbtrumpet - 2011-08-22 7:49 AM

I was wondering the same thing.  I read the Paleo Diet and the Paleo Diet for Athletes years ago and didn't remember coconut oil in the equation and yet its a major player in most of the recent recipes I've found.  This guy explains it pretty well:

http://paleodietlifestyle.com/is-coconut-an-optimal-source-of-fat/

This thread has me thinking about going Paleo again (I've followed it off and on over the years).  This time, I've got my husband on board, an easy, local and affordable source of all the grass-fed meat I could want, a HUGE garden full of organic veggies and my very own source of raw, whole goat's milk, so I think we are really well set up to give this a shot.  If nothing else, it will help me clear out our chest freezer full of meat and our garden overflowing with veggies for the next couple of months!

(I'm keeping raw dairy in my diet in limited quantities)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet! Rss Feed  

of 3