Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-08-22 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3653788

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Paleo Diet!
jldicarlo - 2011-08-22 1:11 PM

So weird.  The grocery stores around here don't carry ANYTHING weird and they carry coconut oil!  What sections were you looking in?

I was looking in the oil section, like everyone said.  I went to Giant and Safeway (two local chains) and Trader Joe's - I finally found it today at Whole Foods.

I'm excited to try it - sounds interesting

2011-08-22 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3644060

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Check out www.nomnompaleo.com.  Such an awesome blog!  Great recipes and gorgeous pictures.  Paleo is great.  I got into it to reach "peak" fitness and get rid of the horrible acid reflux and insomnia I've had for years.  I was almost Paleo before reading the PDFA but have now cut out all grains and dairy and added more good fats.  I've been following for about a month and I feel great.  Absolutely fantastic.  My honey recently got on the paleo wagon, too, and already feels better.  The key for us is planning all meals ahead of time and prepping ingredients so we always have quick meals and healthy snacks available.

(gopaleo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
gopaleo.jpg (44KB - 17 downloads)
2011-08-23 6:58 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
LOVE nomnompaleo!!!!!! just found that site a week ago...what fun!
I found coconut oid at our local Sprouts and Sunflower Market. Don't know if you have these stores in your area, but lots cheaper than Whole Foods!
2011-08-25 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran

Just out of curiosity, I've been tracking my calories for the last few days.

I'm surprised at how high my fat intake is (35-45% of my daily calories) and how low my protein is (25-35%).

I feel like I'm close, but not quite getting this.  So I come on here hoping you can help me critique my meals.

A typical day:

Breakfast:
- 2 egg whites, 1 egg, lean protein (beef, turkey, chicken), veggies, olive oil - scrambled
- coffee (weaning myself off cream and sugar - down to just cream, and only a little at that!)

Snack 1:
- piece of fruit
- veggie sticks w/ ff sour cream/ranch dip (not Paleo, but only 20 cal!)

Lunch:
- left overs from night before (see below) - or salad w/ lean protein (same as above - or salmon)

Snack 2:
- almonds (12-20 usually - yes, I count)

Dinner:
- lean protein cooked w/ veggies, olive oil - with whole grains if directly after workout

Post-workout snack (varies based on intensity of workout):
- orange juice
- banana
- protein (usually dinner)

From my understanding, this should be a fairly good menu - and I am still losing weight, which is encouragining, however just seeing 45% of my daily calories came from fat one day earlier this week makes me nervous.  True, they are mostly good fats, but still - that just doesn't seem to be healthy to me (I don't mind closer to 30, but 45?!?)

If you have any feedback, please share!  I'm still learning

2011-08-25 1:16 PM

User image

Master
PNW

Most of what I've read - closer to 75% of your calories should be coming from fat, so you probably need to eat less of the 'low fat' things, actually.

The first thing I noticed was the egg whites - eat the whole egg, the good stuff is in the yolk!

2011-08-25 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3659241

User image

Veteran
GLC1968 - 2011-08-25 2:16 PM

Most of what I've read - closer to 75% of your calories should be coming from fat, so you probably need to eat less of the 'low fat' things, actually.

The first thing I noticed was the egg whites - eat the whole egg, the good stuff is in the yolk!

really?!?  Maybe I just need to get over my "diet mindset"...

I don't remember seeing a range for fat/protein in the book (but I've just skimmed) - I do remember seeing a carb limit. 

The book also said something about trying to keep eggs to below like 6/week or something - that's why I've been doing  2/3 whites...but I could be wrong...

2011-08-25 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

I think your plan looks really good.  It's so hard to get over the mindset that FAT IS BAD!  Of course, bad fat is actually bad but good fats are great.  I also eat a maximum of one egg per day and then egg whites after that.  That is one point of contention between Paleo (PDFA) and Primal (Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint for example) people.  Paleo means a lot of different things to different people.  PDFA focuses on lean meats and produce, whereas people who eat Primal, in general, eat much more fat.

One suggestion: maybe instead of whole grains after a workout, you could try yams.  They're super yummy and are great for recovery.

2011-08-25 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Also, I think your workouts need to be pretty intense for you to be able to eat recovery foods following them.  I have no idea what your workouts are, but I know for me that I only eat the recovery foods if I lifted weights or ran long/hard or biked long/hard.
2011-08-25 3:02 PM

User image

Master
PNW

Yeah, what nerdjock said.  It's VERY hard to let go of the idea that fat is bad!  Even good fats!

The PDFA is lower fat (as is the original Paleo Diet) but since both were published, some changes have been made to the theories put forth by both Loren Cordain (the original author) and Robb Wolfe (his disciple, for lack of a better word!).  Robb wrote 'The Paleo Diet Solution' which further expands on the most current research about the healthiest way of eating using the Paleo diet as a basis (he studied under Loren Cordain).  I've been digging into his website while I await my copy of his book, but I think the general idea is to use the way our ancestors ate as a guideline, knowing that we don't actually live in the paleolithic era and that it's ok to accept some modern interpretations.

That said, I just cannot eat that much fat.  Maybe my body could eventually adjust to it, but it certainly doesn't like it right now (it grosses me out!).  I've only been following this again since last Saturday and I haven't keyed in any days yet, but my guess is that I'm in the 45-50% fat range, 35-40% protein and 20-25% carbs (all veggies, fruit and some yams).

I am eating grass-fed, organic, raw, goat's milk in my coffee and in my smoothies, so I'm not dairy free.  I also think the egg limit in the original paleo diet and the PDFA stems from the cholesterol fear and the idea that cavemen wouldn't have had access to unlimited eggs.  We do, and if ours are free-range, they are perfectly healthy and I don't think we need to limit them.  I can only eat about 8-10 a week (in total), so it's not like I'm living on them anyway.  I get sick of too much of the same thing!

2011-08-25 6:03 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
+1 on what everyone else said. Loren Cordain has even changed some of his recommendations since writing the original Paleo Diet. Robb Wolf is more current with research/recommendations. He even says to not rely on eggs EVERY morning for breakfast but doesn't set a limit on them. Choose omega3 organic (if available) eggs and you are good to go. Ditch the egg whites and make a 2 egg omlet- your body is MUCH more satisfied with the additional fat and there are so many good things in an egg yoke to throw it away!
The Paleo community is (from what I have read and experienced) is very pro strength training and not too supportive of the endurance sport community, so when you read certain recommendations regarding carbs...they are taking this into account. PDFA is more geared to all of us who enjoy spending hours doing cardio :-) so the carb recommendations are a bit different. I think if you combine the two, you find something that can work for everyone!
A Few other things...ditch ANY fat free products...if you read ingredients, it is full of fillers and stuff you have no idea where it came from and your body doesn't know what to do with it. Read the ingredients and chose whole, non processed foods. If you want some dip, try greek yogurt or something natural. salsa is a great dip for veges and good for you too!
I would ditch the whole grains as well...they are pro inflammatory and can inhibit nutrient absorbtion! yams, sweet potatos and tubers are GREAT sources of carbs, easy to digest and yummy! toss some in coconut oil, bake and they are the perfect finger food!
Your diet looks pretty good other than these few things. I put some milk in my coffee in the morning, but that is it for dairy. There are some other views that dairy isn't an issue if you can digest it fine. most recommend organic, non processed dairy though, and that is hard to find and expensive, so I don't bother. if putting some cream in your coffee makes it more enjoyable to you, then I would keep it (unless you are doing a 30 day challenge). You have to live a little and coffee (at least for me) is one of the joys of life !
Don't worry about calories or fat. eat protein with every meal, limit processed, unhealthy carbs and use healthy fats!
2011-08-25 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3659876

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

If you want some dip, try greek yogurt or something natural. salsa is a great dip for veges and good for you too!

My latest dip craving is guacamole.  I think I am currently addicted to guac with carrots...

2011-08-25 8:16 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
oh wow, can't believe I forgot this...I am ADDICTED to avocados and guac - YUMMO! bought a 3 pack of Wholly Guacamole at Costco - 2 are already gone....heehee! I slice up jicama very thin and use these 'chips' for dipping!
2011-08-26 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3659927

User image

Veteran
jldicarlo - 2011-08-25 7:54 PM

If you want some dip, try greek yogurt or something natural. salsa is a great dip for veges and good for you too!

My latest dip craving is guacamole.  I think I am currently addicted to guac with carrots...

hehe - I was just thinking - I plan on making some guacamole for dip, but I'm still using up stuff I have at home.

Yes, it would probably be better to throw everything away, but I just can't do that - so once my ff sour cream dip is gone (only have about 2 servings left), then I'll make guac instead for my next go-round

I miss hummus, though

Also, for the whole grains - when I say whole grains with dinner, I usually mean brown rice.  DH is chinese, and a WONDERFUL cook - and chinese food without rice is just a bit off.  So I'm cutting down, and cutting back - and will only have 1/2 a cup after a hard workout, but I dont' think I'll every fully be able to cut it out

2011-08-26 10:00 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
yes, make some guac...sooo yummy and good for you!
Are you trying paleo due to stomach issues (I forget). If so, I would switch from brown rice to white rice. With the bran removed, white rice is easier on the stomach and in the grand scheme of things, 1/2 cup isn't a huge deal, as long as consumed after a workout. Check out ChrisKresser.com...great resource along with all the other Paleo sites. He has a podcast as well "The Healthy Sceptic" which I listen to and is very interesting and informative, while easy to listen to. I listen to this, The Paleo Solution Podcast, Everyday Paleo, and BenGreenfield Fitness podcasts when I run and learn SO MUCH! The first ones are wonderful info regarding Paleo, and Ben Greenfield is a triathlete and exercise physiologist. While he isn't strict paleo (eats oatmeal, quinoa), he does follow a LOT of rules regarding timing of carbs and workouts and is a great resource for training, nutrition and interviews some awesome people! Check it out! I may even try one of his training plans for my next HIM!

With 2 small kids in the house, it is hard to stay away from all the junk and I am no where near 100% paleo. Once my race is over, gonna get a bit stricter and get my kids more into it too (cuz right now they don't like meat very much...crushes me!) Altough my 4 year old asked for a plate of bacon and eggs this morning - yay! I have stopped buying LOTS of the crap I was getting before, and while I am spending more on meat, I think it equals out with not buying all the processed stuff! work in progress! Keep it up - good luck!
2011-08-26 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran

not doing it for tummy issues - I'm as healthy as can be, except that I'm 25 lbs overweight.

Doing it 1) because I do think it's the healthiest diet out there, so for general long-term health, and 2) for weightloss.  I'm more in weightloss mode than tri mode riight now, I put on 35lbs while I was engaged (stress eater!), I rollercoastered for a while after getting married - WW, calorie counting, trying to eat "clean" - but I couldnt' stick with anything so the weight stayed about the same.  So far, 3 weeks in on Paleo, and 8lbs down!  I feel like I can stick with this one.

DH and I plan on starting our family soon (by soon I mean "next year or two" not like next month), and I really want to be healthy and fit before I take on the responsibility of another life (also, I want to be comfortable in my diet, so I don't gain a bajillion pounds whenever I am pregnant)

2011-08-26 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3659996

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

runspingirl - 2011-08-25 8:16 PM oh wow, can't believe I forgot this...I am ADDICTED to avocados and guac - YUMMO! bought a 3 pack of Wholly Guacamole at Costco - 2 are already gone....heehee! I slice up jicama very thin and use these 'chips' for dipping!

The 100 calorie Wholly Guacamole packs have to be the greatest invention EVER.

2011-08-26 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3660849

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
jldicarlo - 2011-08-26 12:09 PM

runspingirl - 2011-08-25 8:16 PM oh wow, can't believe I forgot this...I am ADDICTED to avocados and guac - YUMMO! bought a 3 pack of Wholly Guacamole at Costco - 2 are already gone....heehee! I slice up jicama very thin and use these 'chips' for dipping!

I just saw these at Sam's Club last night and I think I did a happy dance right there in the aisle.  

2011-08-26 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3660999

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
StartingToTri - 2011-08-26 1:24 PM
jldicarlo - 2011-08-26 12:09 PM

I just saw these at Sam's Club last night and I think I did a happy dance right there in the aisle.  

They are a bit expensive, but LESS expensive than throwing away guac because it turned brown!  As a single person guac and avocados are CONSTANTLY going south on me.

I COULD eat a whole package of their regular size guac, but I really shouldn't (good fat or not, sometimes fat is still fat!).  It's nice to have portion control with guac!  And not feel like you are wasting it!

A friend of mine had 100 calorie almond packs the other day.  Seems a silly concept when you realize how much cheaper buying the big bag is.  However, we both have the same issue.  When you buy the big bag you might start by eating 12-13 almonds at a time.  But then a week later your 12-13 almonds has creeped to 20.  Next thing you know you could eat the whole bag in a sitting.

So, enforced portion control can be good.

2011-08-26 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3660641

Scottsdale, AZ
rbtrumpet - 2011-08-26 10:25 AM

not doing it for tummy issues - I'm as healthy as can be, except that I'm 25 lbs overweight.

Doing it 1) because I do think it's the healthiest diet out there, so for general long-term health, and 2) for weightloss.  I'm more in weightloss mode than tri mode riight now, I put on 35lbs while I was engaged (stress eater!), I rollercoastered for a while after getting married - WW, calorie counting, trying to eat "clean" - but I couldnt' stick with anything so the weight stayed about the same.  So far, 3 weeks in on Paleo, and 8lbs down!  I feel like I can stick with this one.

DH and I plan on starting our family soon (by soon I mean "next year or two" not like next month), and I really want to be healthy and fit before I take on the responsibility of another life (also, I want to be comfortable in my diet, so I don't gain a bajillion pounds whenever I am pregnant)

I WISH I had known about this diet when I was trying to get pregnant. We had to do fertility treatments with both my kids and it was awful...drugs, drs and not to mention lots of $$$. Totally worth it of course, but knowing my issues (PCOS, Insulin problems etc). it could have been different. Also, I had huge eating issues in high school, ran track and lost my cycle for almost a year...I am SURE that had something do to with it too! Robb Wolf jokes about how many women at his gym started getting pregnant (with no trouble at all) once they became compliant on Paleo. and yes, some of them had issues before starting. The key is reducing inflammation of the gut,increasing nutrient absorbtion and hormonal balance...this includes cortisol levels. I think you are totally on the right track starting NOW and not waiting a year and then saying "hey, we want to get pregnant, lets get healthy too". Again, check out Chris Kressers site...he has an entire project dedicated to growing a healthy baby and it starts WAY before getting pregnant. So it is win/win. Get healthy now, get a healthy baby later! Glad it is working for you! 8 lb is AWESOME! Good luck!
2011-08-26 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3660641

Scottsdale, AZ
rbtrumpet - 2011-08-26 10:25 AM

I WISH I had known about this diet when I was trying to get pregnant. We had to do fertility treatments with both my kids and it was awful...drugs, drs and not to mention lots of $$$. Totally worth it of course, but knowing my issues (PCOS, Insulin problems etc). it could have been different. Also, I had huge eating issues in high school, ran track and lost my cycle for almost a year...I am SURE that had something do to with it too! Robb Wolf jokes about how many women at his gym started getting pregnant (with no trouble at all) once they became compliant on Paleo. and yes, some of them had issues before starting. The key is reducing inflammation of the gut,increasing nutrient absorbtion and hormonal balance...this includes cortisol levels. I think you are totally on the right track starting NOW and not waiting a year and then saying "hey, we want to get pregnant, lets get healthy too". Again, check out Chris Kressers site...he has an entire project dedicated to growing a healthy baby and it starts WAY before getting pregnant. So it is win/win. Get healthy now, get a healthy baby later! Glad it is working for you! 8 lb is AWESOME! Good luck!
2011-08-26 6:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
To the wholly guacamole fans..... I'm addicted to this stuff too. If you 'like' them on Facebook, they do a weekly $1.50 coupon via FB, which means (yum) MORE guacamole!!

2011-08-26 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

All the references mentioned are good.  Don't forget about Nell Stephenson - she follows a very strict Paleo program but she is also an Ironman triathlete, so I feel she is a great reference for training and she does nutrition coaching as well.  I follow her blog and she's got great information there and good recipes.

I follow a pretty strict Paleo plan also.  Nell's recommendations are for fairly even balance of protein/fat/carbs.  Right now I'm trying to limit nuts and add more veg.  She also recommends a protein and veg at every meal.  I used to have an apple and 1/2-1oz nuts for a snack, now I will have sliced turkey (Columbus at Costco - no preservatives and low sodium and inexpensive!) rolled around spinach and bell peppers and avo when I have it.  I also throw spinach in my smoothies (you can't taste it, but sometimes it isn't pretty).

I eat a lot of sweet potatoes! :-)

2011-08-28 1:03 PM

User image

Master
PNW
rbtrumpet - 2011-08-26 8:25 AM

These are my reasons as well.  That, and I think I've finally got my husband convinced to do it with me and that's VERY hard to do.  He's always been resistant to restricting his eating in any way since for most of his life, all he had to do to lose weight was think about it.  Now that we are getting older, it's not so easy for him, either!  (he needs to lose a few as well - and he needs to stop eating crap just for health reasons).

I severely miss hummus (and I don't like avacados or guac!), but I did just find two potential substitutes.  One is a walnut red pepper dip and the other is paleo Baba Ghanoush.  Both are from the Everyday Paleo book (I ordered it) but they may be available on her website as well.  If they turn out good, I'll let you know (trying them this week!).

Edited by GLC1968 2011-08-28 1:03 PM
2011-08-30 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

a little paleo help please.  I'm 2 weeks into Whole 30.  I'm feeling great and plan to continue with paleo or primal well past the initial 30 days. 

My problem is that I've been very slow to recovery from training.  Basically my legs are sore and fatigued all of the time. 

Generally, my diet has looked like this:  Usually 2 maybe 3 eggs at breakfast with a piece of fruit.  10-13 almonds with fruit as a snack.  Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner which is usually chicken, pork, or steak with lots of veggies and salad.  The first 7-10 days I ate several sweet potatos and I'm regularly eating salmon, tuna, and sardines.

I've stepped up my training a little bit the past two weeks but not significantly and my legs are more sore and fatigued than usual.  I'd like a solution b/c I'd like to start ramping up for a HM in 2 months.

thanks

2011-08-30 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Sluggo - check out Paleo Diet for Athletes, pages 55 and 58 for recovery drinks and homebrew recipes.  Basically, they are a mixture of fruit juice, fruit, glucose, protein and sodium.  I really like egg white protein - NOW makes a plain one with no additives.

Make sure you're eating enough, hydrating A LOT and getting a good amount of rest.  It sounds like your training load has increased (or is increasing) and, no way around it, there are going to be some rougher days, but if you do your best to get all the above elements in, your recovery times may improve.

I found the recovery windows shortened the longer I've been on Paleo.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet! Rss Feed  

of 3