Yellow Jacket Racing
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 22s
Overall Rank = 96/192
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Week ago pulled my right calf. Didn't try it out for a week. Felt OK but didn't hold. Ken and I headed up at 6:00ish. We excepted lot of rain but was a great looking day and held. Arrived with lots of time, with 200 spots i0t was easy and breezy.
Went with my OLD FART TEAM jersey.
Event warmup:

Waded through a bank of seaweed piled up on the shore line. Stink for sure. Took a little swim 50 yds out and back. There was no starting line per say just a general grouping. Two waves girls first boy five minutes later.
Swim
  • 12m 55s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started up front. Watch the girls go off and one turn around and throw in the towel. The water is flat as it gets. She is just to nervous I guess. Her husband is disappointed and she go do but he leaves with her. Good guy.
Wave to Ken and blow him a good luck kiss. Off we go. I am actually kicking, where did that come from. It s little bit of a fray I get caught with some one and get a whack in the back of the head.
The swimming which is usually natural feel heavy today. Maybe it the full suit haven't been in it much. I start picking past some buoys and things start to feel better. Hit the last leg. Have been drafting well off one guy but his navigation goes to hell and I pick a line and head in.
Hit the walk zone and the sticky seaweed. Up the beach. Its the first time I've run in a week and can feel I'll need to take the run easy.

What would you do differently?:

Practice more in full suit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Must get out before Ken shows up. I have trouble thinking is that all I need to do. I follow out some one who wanted to walk down teh middle os the lane. Excuse me its a race move it.

Move faster.
Bike
  • 41m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 18.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Love the new course. There are a three hills but really but they are short and no big deal. Pass a few and got passed by some. No pain from calf. Wish I had something witty to say about the bike but it was just bike, I tried to hammer it as hard as I could. Pretty sure there are no officials for this race, but only one incident of drafting I saw. Looked like the lead of the TdF.

Loose wgt to make the hills easier.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Move IT or get out of the way!! God lady even if you don't want to move it others do. Kens coming move it!!!
Once I got by her I was racked and putting on first run shoe and here Hey Old fart I'm coming better move it.
Ken was right there. We racked right next to each other. Unfortunately he was there and was unable to deposit the egg in his shoe without his knowledge. Damn it. Moved it to exit transition before Ken. Yelled I'd see him in 3 minutes and took off.

Put egg in Ken shoe before Ken get in off the bike.
Run
  • 34m
  • 3.12 miles
  • 10m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Knew I was going to have to walk the hills and take it easy. Calf was there but feeling OK. Figured it would give me a little warning. Ken caught up in a 1/4 mile or so. He was looking good. So now dessert and a steak. Oh well the boy deserves it he has trained his feet off this summer. It like a keyhole course where run out do two loops and run back. At he break there is a hill and walked that. Half way up a girl mention my jersey and asked my age said 52 she said the same but we aren't really old farts. At water stop that lady yells out "Good job old Fart". I take a back with how it sounds at first but kinda like it. Past water stop there is a hose lady. Her husband standing to the side proclaims "you have to water the old fart". I let her have at it but she is gentle. Moving along well but half way down the back side of loop PING! goes the calf. I catch it right away but it is re-injured and figure I'm done for the day.
I walk a little bit. Couple runner give me that You can do it old fart. Thanks. I try twice to give it a little jog. No go. Still walking OK. Thinking I'll just walk it home. In a 1/4 mile I can slog on it keeping it turned in bit figure it wasn't worth pushing it, until this cute little 20 something goes by and tells me "Com'on Old Fart you can do it!".
With that I know I have to finish the race. So off with my side ways gait. My ortho guy says I run like a German Shepard, a little sideways anyhow. Where is he today with the cortisone shot.
I'm running a little more then walking but it ain't pretty. Hit the water station again and get a lot of cheering from my girls that the Old Fart can do it. Thanks
Water spray lady give me another shot. I hit the back side and Tom Dutton actually cheers me on with a "Nice job old Fart" as he speeds by. He is my senior by 10-15 years. The lady in front of the Fire Dept giggle and send me on my way. I always pick fire hydrants to walk or run to and pick the next one to stat running. Some chick passes me a pulls up walking right in front of me with like 10 feet to go. So I did get to pass someone. Mister right to finish, left second loops proclaims he has seen this old fart an its time for him to finish. You run along he bay for a 1/4 mile. There is a lot of people cheering seems like a 1000 plus triathlete sprint going on. It was great when the lady yelled very loudly "Way to go Old fart you are almost there". Then the finish. My name but no mention of the Jersey. Ken cheers me in. What is it with some finishers like you need to cut me off 5 feet from finish line when its apparent at best we are middle of the pack. Should have tripped him. That what a real old fart would have done.

Not pull calf.
Wear one of the 3 pairs of calf sleeves I have.
Post race
Warm down:

Went pee, ate hot dogs, went home, cried we didn't stay to get my valuable award.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Calf strain

Event comments:

Had a lot of fun with this race. Did lose dessert bet,(made before the injury). The OF jersey was fun to wear, hope not to many kids were offended.

Last updated: 2011-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:55 | 800 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/192
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Vortex
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:47 | 13.1 miles | 18.81 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:00 | 03.12 miles | 10m 54s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-15 5:20 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Sodus Point Triathlon

2011-08-15 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3644777

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Sodus Point Triathlon
I'll  handle dessert! You had a great swim and bike, get the leg healed up and we can have some fun at FL!

Thanks for suggesting Sodus, we got a good day with a flat lake! 
2011-08-15 7:34 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Nice work up until the calf went ballistic.  AG place and you didn't stick around to get it....
2011-08-16 9:20 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Great job, Old Fart!  Nice report too!
2011-08-18 5:18 PM

User image

Expert
Congratulations on a great race and the podium spot!! Very impressive especially considering you are in by far the coolest AG of all. Well done on a bum calf.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sodus Point Triathlon Rss Feed