General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Triathlon
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 52s
Overall Rank = 22/285
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4AM, ate some breakfast and drove up to Flagstaff. Set up transition (which they closed 10 minutes early). Forgot to get body marking, but at least remembered to get my chip.
Event warmup:

Some dynamic stretching on the way to the start line.
Swim
  • 28m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

In my last race here (4 weeks prior), the swim was a disaster. One of my goals was to relax more and stay on the edge of the course instead of mixing it up too much. Overall this worked out much better. I didn't get run over, and had pretty smooth water for most of the way.
The water was probably the dirtiest I've ever seen. I couldn't see my hand during any part of the catch or pull. Not a huge deal, just felt like pointing it out.
What would you do differently?:

It took me half the course to get into a rhythm. I also didn't kick very much, which slowed me down. I need to practice with the wet suit a bit more to get used to the added buoyancy. Having my legs higher made me feel like I didn't need to kick. I think I can knock several minutes off of this time with a little more OWS practice. That would have put me on the podium...
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Transition was smooth. The biggest issue was people leaving the transition area at the same time and stopping to get on their bikes. It's no different from any other race though. I just ran my bike past them and did my running one-foot mount.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 38s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.19 mile/hr
Comments:

There were a couple of small hills (the steps) mid-way to the turnaround and another climb right before the turnaround. Nothing too bad, but it definitely slowed people down. I did my best to maintain a more constant power than I have in the past. I'm not sure if it helped or not, but figured I'd give it a shot. I was hoping to go sub-1 hr but just missed it. At the same time, I needed to save something for the run.

I should have pushed a little harder on the slower sections. There's a good mix of constant power and pushing a little on the hills that I need to find. With the downhill back to T2, it would have given me plenty of recovery time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Nothing spectacular. Dropped my sunnys so I had to pick them up but aide from that it was a fairly good T2.
Run
  • 48m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

The run wasn't too bad. I felt pretty fresh after the bike, but was dreading the 1.2 mile climb up that hill. I took it pretty easy on the hill climb, trying not to burn myself out. It ended up going pretty well overall. I think the course was a little short.

I'm close enough to the course that I could probably have run that hill a few times. The actual change in elevation is only a few hundred feet. Knowing that, I could have pushed it harder up the hill. As it was, I was scared of it. Instead of attacking it, I went slow and steady up it.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with my teammate, met Bryan and chatted a little bit, gathered my stuff and watched the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming practice with a wetsuit and running. I need to learn to push myself harder, particularly on the run. As I get more confidence with the distance I think I'll be able to push harder without being afraid of blowing up.

Event comments:

The organizers do a good job. I wish they hadn't closed transition earlier than advertised, but it wasn't a big deal. It's a fun race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-01-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/38
Overall: 58/285
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Flash
Course: Rectangular course departing South ramp and ending at North ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:38 | 24.85 miles | 24.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/38
Overall: 9/285
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back along Lake Mary Road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:48:08 | 06.21 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/38
Overall: 53/285
Course: Out and back up a 1.2 mile hill
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-16 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2011-08-16 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3646087

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great job! Super bike split, my man. Really great to be able to chat post race. I'll have to get back up to Flag for some training this fall and maybe we can hook up.
2011-08-16 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
WOW! You are getting very fast!  So close to that podium spot too...next year for sure!  I completely agree about the water condition.  When we were driving out to pick up my packet I saw a boat on the lake and I was surprised at how brown the wake of the boat was.  And the call to close transition 10 minutes early was pretty messed up.  Every aspect of your race seemed so strong.  What's next?  SOMA 1/2?
2011-08-16 6:17 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

That would be great, Bryan! We have an extra room if you need it...

Wade, I have a road race this weekend near Prescott, and a TT in Tucson in Sept. I had a full tri calendar but I may bag out of a few of them. Anthem reverse is a lot of fun, and Amica were both on the calendar and I'm thinking of dropping them. Soma 1/2 for sure, Tour de Tucson 109 too. Bike racing season ramps up in Dec/Jan, and I'll probably throw a few HM's in there to keep me motivated on my feet

2011-08-19 8:05 AM

User image

Elite
the desert
wow - super fast race. I thought the same thing about the water. I don't expect to see very far, but this was bad.  I think the swim may have been a tad long too. Great job on the bike leg and the run!
2011-08-19 10:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Tim you are getting to be a monster at this sport!  You will be seeing the podium regularly very soon at your constant improvements.  One of these days I am going to talk you into a longer distance, just to see how awesome you do there as well.  Great job!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed