General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you wear a hydration system for IM run?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-09-19 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3646588

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Do you wear a hydration system for IM run??
papson14 - 2011-08-16 9:34 PM

Living off the course doesn't work for me.  I like the fuel belt and have worn it during my last two IMs.  I don't like gu's or gels and Powbar Perform doesn't do it for me and yes I've tried them in training and in IMs.  I can put an hours worth of Infinit in one fuel belt bottle and sip on it as I go grabbing water as needed.  I once ran with dry Infinite powder in the belt and a handheld which I could sip off of then do a quick mix at the aide station when needed.  Didn't like running with a bottle in my hand so I scrapped that.  Running with four bottles doesn't bother me but if I wanted I could stash 2 in special needs and change them at the half way point.

It comes down to your needs and what works for you.

I like this idea since I rely on Infinit.  I was planning on tripling my Infinit formula in my fuel belt; but I completely forgot I'd have a special needs bag to stop at.  I can either refill my fuel belt or ditch it there depending on how I feel.

2011-09-19 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3646386

User image

Veteran
I did Ironman Louisville recently with a 10 ounce hand held bottle.  I had the volunteers fill it up at each aid station for the first half of the run, and then about every other to every third aid station thereafter.  Used the water to drink a bit while eating cookies or pretzels and then to also cool off my head.  This strategy worked much better than running without a bottle like I did on my HIM earlier this summer.
2011-09-20 10:51 AM

User image

over a barrier
I carry a handheld 20oz bottle that is loaded with 600 calories of Infinit, I squeeze a tiny amount into the dixie cups at the aid station. The bottle holder has a tiny pocket as well, which I stuff Tums, Tylenol, and Pepto.

When empty I just leave at an aid station....
2011-09-20 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

The IM run course is a great place to find a used fuel belt. I typically see at least 3-4 lying on the side of the road, but I am always too tired to pick one up.

2011-09-20 3:43 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I hate lugging things around when I run, so NO.

I train with a camelbak because in Florida it's just downright necessary, but at IM I live off the run course.  The aid stations really are close together....you won't be "waiting" for one...

That being said, I see a lot of people with fuel belts out there.  How anyone can stand to have that much weight around their waist I will never know....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you wear a hydration system for IM run?? Rss Feed  

of 2