General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bartlett Lake Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-16 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Subject: Bartlett Lake Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread
As the weather gets better and cooler. Ya..right?

I am looking for workout buddies for Tuesday mornings olympic distance training. Start time 5:30am and would like to do the olympic in reverse until the weather is more tolerable. Please PM me if you would like to meet up.

Tracy ;)

2011-08-31 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3646626

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Subject: RE: Bartlett Lake Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread
Who else is doing the Bartlett Olympic? The event is coming up and I am wondering how everyone is training for it? Outside vs. Inside. Or, you planining on wearing a full wetsuit? How are you training for the hills?
2011-09-01 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3666968

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have been far too run-focused this year to even think about that.  I don't remember the date, but if it works, I would be open to doing the run leg for a relay*.  The hills would be good practice for me for my Mt Lemmon prep.

* Not that I would be wicked fast or anything, but it would be fun.
2011-09-06 10:19 AM

User image

Phoenix AZ

if you tri veterans don't mind if i hijack the thread for a bit, i'd like to pick your brains. 

the bartlett lake sprint will be my first open-water tri. i've done other sprint triathlons, just not in open water. the weather is usually a *bit* cooler in early october, so i wonder if i'll need a wetsuit for the morning swim in bartlett? or will i be able to get by comfortably in tri shorts and a tri top?

thanks!

2011-09-06 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3674521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Bunsbert Montcroff - 2011-09-06 10:19 AM

if you tri veterans don't mind if i hijack the thread for a bit, i'd like to pick your brains. 

the bartlett lake sprint will be my first open-water tri. i've done other sprint triathlons, just not in open water. the weather is usually a *bit* cooler in early october, so i wonder if i'll need a wetsuit for the morning swim in bartlett? or will i be able to get by comfortably in tri shorts and a tri top?

thanks!

You should not NEED a wetsuit for Bartlett, as just a couple weeks ago the water was very warm, and I doubt the temps will drop that much in the next month.  The sprint here is 400m for the swim, so a wetsuit should not be too much of a factor in regards to buoyancy and speed.

That being said, there is a strange comfort to wearing a wetsuit, knowing you are 100% buoyant.  If you are a relatively strong swimmer, you should be fine either way.  What I would recommend is this - try to get out to Rattlesnake cove at least once before the race to swim.  It is relatively peaceful and accessible there, and the swim training will help you immensely.  But if you cannot get out there before, then just make sure to hit the water about 10 minutes before the race and get your 'OWS legs.'  No matter what - RELAX.  It is totally safe, and you should have a BLAST!  Besides, it is the bike and run that are killer at Bartlett - way more than the swim.  Good luck!

2011-09-13 2:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
I signed up for the sprint. It is only my second Tri and will probably be more than I can chew, BUT, I am going to give it all I have...plus some I will find on the course! . I WILL finish. BTW, I heard they made the swim uphill this year to math the bike and run!

Edited by Mikeylee 2011-09-13 2:40 AM

2011-09-13 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3683681

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Mikeylee - 2011-09-13 2:36 AM  BTW, I heard they made the swim uphill this year to math the bike and run!

What was brutal was the 2010 Bartlett Tri, which was in March, so the water was like 55 degrees.  No need for uphill there, it was just terribly COLD.

Good luck, that is a tri that once done you can brag about the course.

2011-09-19 11:14 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

SunshineEstrella - 2011-08-16 7:01 PM As the weather gets better and cooler. Ya..right? I am looking for workout buddies for Tuesday mornings olympic distance training. Start time 5:30am and would like to do the olympic in reverse until the weather is more tolerable. Please PM me if you would like to meet up. Tracy

I'm not sure how consistent I can be because I have to work Tuesdays and live about an hour and a half away, but I'm definitely gonna show up tomorrow morning and may even try to make next Tuesday for a lite workout. I'm doing my first OLY at Bartlett and would like to do the course at least once before race day. If anyone on here wants to meet any other day of the week to prepare let me know and I'll do what I can to make arrangements...

2011-09-20 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3693001

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Hi GoodStash,

Sorry I missed you today at Bartlett. I got there at 5:45am and started with the bike. I went 27.2 miles (time 2:10) because I couldn't figure out where the turn-a-round is going to be. Also, your not gonna believe what I saw this morning on the first bike loop! Going up steady up the hill I heard something to my left and looked over on the other side of the road. It was a huge javalina running back and forth not knowing what direction to run. Then finally it ran into the brush off the road. I look up ahead and I see something coming at me. It looked like a big Golden Retiever dog. My eyes had sweet in them so it was hard to see but it had a yellow coat and it was bigger than a coyote. Finally, it crossed the road in a low posture. It was a young Mt. Lion stocking the javalina! It was so cool to see!!!! I couldn't believe it! I finally got to see one.

The run was so hot!!! Finished but ugh.... 1:10:02 time
The swim was nice and no wetsuit needed. 40:00min

2011-09-20 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

That's great, Sunshine! (If you weren't sure, this is Jasen from the JCC race)

I actually did end making it up to Bartlett this morning...Got there around 6:10am. I really wanted to experience this run that you guys were talking about before the 2nd and, man, was it tough. I really wasn't sure where to start so I started at the furthest corner of the lower parking lot and just followed the road up to Yellow Cliffs. I didn't officially time myself, but I'm estimating about an hour (with a short bathroom break at the Yellow Cliffs rest room.) I was actually pleased with my run, but the whole time I was climbing I was thinking to myself, "How the heck am I gonna be able to do this off of the bike?". In fact, I was the guy in the white truck who waved at you as I was leaving...(at least I hope it was you.)

What a beautiful course...I saw a lot of lizards and a coyote as I was leaving (not to mention a bee who loved my bright yellow shirt and shoes) , but no mountain lion. Maybe that's a good thing, though...I may have freaked out a little if I saw a mountain lion during my run Undecided. If you're doing it again next week let me know. I'd like to do the bike course even if it is at a less intense pace before race day.

Talk to you later...

Jasen

2011-09-21 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3694118

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Jasen!

I had no idea this was your user name. I remember someone waving while I was on my second loop with the bike. I thought maybe it was someone I meet earlier.

The bee's are real bad and aggresive at Bartlett. I try to get rid of any colors and I eat in the car. My friend Katie got stung twice. I am going to contact Mark the director so he can send a warning out. I hope no one is allergic to bees. They will need an epi-pen (sp) to bring with them just in case.

Yes, the run is brutal after the bike. It's such a mental game with your head. When you get off the bike and start the run at the lower parking lot. Just keep telling yourself that the first hill is only 1.5 mile up. After that nothing is worse until you do the turn-a-round. After the turn-a-round I tell myself don't stop and wait for the "flats" I have been mentally telling myself that the "flats" between the 6 or 7 hills are the breathing and leg breaks. I also only drink from my water bottle on the "flats" (they are not really flats just 2% or 3% of an incline but any little relief really helps.

On the down hills my stomach is having a hard time dealing with the bouncing. I would recommend strong abs to keep your stomach strong or cramps will become a problem.

The Mt. Lion was really cool but your right about facing one during the run. I am not worried about it bu the javalina I am....yikes they are big!

Hope to see you Tuesday between 5:30am - 6:00am. I will start with the bike and only do one loop and then run. Swim is always last since it feels so gooood to get in after a hard workout.

Tracy

2011-09-22 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Hey, Tracy...

I will definitely be up there Tuesday for the Bike loop and run, but probably will have to start heading back to work before the swim...I'm actually going up there on Sunday with a couple of guys and we're going to do the entire course to see how it is. If something comes up I'll either write you on here or on Facebook.

I'll look forward to seeing you...

2011-09-23 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran
I'll be there on race day to cheer you guys on. Next year I'll do the race for sure.
2011-09-24 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
Cool Steve! So, Steve if I flip you off that means I am good.... LOL.... See you Tuesday Jasen. I might only do one bike loop. I don't want to push it to hard since the race is coming up.
2011-09-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3698947

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

SunshineEstrella - 2011-09-24 11:54 AM Cool Steve! So, Steve if I flip you off that means I am good.... LOL.... See you Tuesday Jasen. I might only do one bike loop. I don't want to push it to hard since the race is coming up.

I'm with you 100% on not wanting to push it too hard...I'm actually going to run through the course tomorrow with a few guys so I'll be taking it fairly easy next week...

2011-09-24 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
I have a question that seems somewhat appropriate for here since you know the Bartlett Lake course with you so well. I am doing the sprint course at Nathan's tomorrow and am also doing the sprint course at Bartlett Lake next week. Any suggestions on how I should train this week? I did part of the Bartlett Lake bike course a few weeks ago on a different bike. I have no training logs, but any suggestions is appreciated.

2011-09-26 11:30 PM
in reply to: #3698947

User image

Veteran

SunshineEstrella - 2011-09-24 1:54 PM Cool Steve! So, Steve if I flip you off that means I am good.... LOL.... See you Tuesday Jasen. I might only do one bike loop. I don't want to push it to hard since the race is coming up.

So, do you flip off all your friends or am I just special? Cool

You know in scuba we're taught to return the "okay" signal to acknowledge that we saw it. So I may out of reflex return your okay signal.

2011-09-27 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3699177

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Mikeylee - 2011-09-24 6:48 PM I have a question that seems somewhat appropriate for here since you know the Bartlett Lake course with you so well. I am doing the sprint course at Nathan's tomorrow and am also doing the sprint course at Bartlett Lake next week. Any suggestions on how I should train this week? I did part of the Bartlett Lake bike course a few weeks ago on a different bike. I have no training logs, but any suggestions is appreciated.

I really haven't been doing triathlons long enough to tell anyone how they should train, but I am doing the Olympic at Bartlett this weekend so I can tell you how I trained...

Sunday, a group of us went out to the course and basically did the course in its entirety...(Brutal course, by the way.)

Monday, I rested.

Tuesday morning I went out to the lake and did one loop of the bike and ran to the highest peak of the run course. (about 1.5 miles up the course and back to my truck.)

Wednesday, Ill be heading to the gym for some stretching and maybe do some swim drills/light swimming for 1000-1600 meters

Thursday, going to Saguaro Lake for an open water swim...Approximately 1500 meters. (You're welcome to join. I get there at around 5:30pm after work)

Friday, Light jogging 4-5 miles and a short ride 12-14 miles.

Saturday...Just Chilling.

If anyone has any other input or can critique my plan, feel free...

2011-09-27 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3701534

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
sksharp - 2011-09-26 9:30 PM

SunshineEstrella - 2011-09-24 1:54 PM Cool Steve! So, Steve if I flip you off that means I am good.... LOL.... See you Tuesday Jasen. I might only do one bike loop. I don't want to push it to hard since the race is coming up.

So, do you flip off all your friends or am I just special? Cool

You know in scuba we're taught to return the "okay" signal to acknowledge that we saw it. So I may out of reflex return your okay signal.

Your so special! It just means I am getting the hard work done and it hurts like a ......... Well, you know the pain. I might be flipping everyone off. LOL
2011-09-27 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3702384

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
GoodStash - 2011-09-27 11:36 AM

Mikeylee - 2011-09-24 6:48 PM I have a question that seems somewhat appropriate for here since you know the Bartlett Lake course with you so well. I am doing the sprint course at Nathan's tomorrow and am also doing the sprint course at Bartlett Lake next week. Any suggestions on how I should train this week? I did part of the Bartlett Lake bike course a few weeks ago on a different bike. I have no training logs, but any suggestions is appreciated.

I really haven't been doing triathlons long enough to tell anyone how they should train, but I am doing the Olympic at Bartlett this weekend so I can tell you how I trained...

Sunday, a group of us went out to the course and basically did the course in its entirety...(Brutal course, by the way.)

Monday, I rested.

Tuesday morning I went out to the lake and did one loop of the bike and ran to the highest peak of the run course. (about 1.5 miles up the course and back to my truck.)

Wednesday, Ill be heading to the gym for some stretching and maybe do some swim drills/light swimming for 1000-1600 meters

Thursday, going to Saguaro Lake for an open water swim...Approximately 1500 meters. (You're welcome to join. I get there at around 5:30pm after work)

Friday, Light jogging 4-5 miles and a short ride 12-14 miles.

Saturday...Just Chilling.

If anyone has any other input or can critique my plan, feel free...

Thank you for being out there today on the course. It helped my anxiety with the Mt. Lion from last Tuesday. It was a great day out at Bartlett. There were two others on the run when I went out. Nice to see others out doing the course.

See ya Sunday!
2011-10-02 8:37 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

It was a beautiful day out there...Good job to everyone who came out. Tracy, you weren't at O'Briens to collect your medal!!

2011-10-02 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
GoodStash, You are correct, it was a beautiful day at Barlett Lake today, full of hard work and great energy!

Edited by Mikeylee 2011-10-02 11:03 PM
2011-10-03 12:34 AM

User image

Phoenix
awesome picture jasen! i bet it was a blast!
2011-10-03 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3708525

User image

Veteran
Goodyear
GoodStash - 2011-10-02 6:37 PM

It was a beautiful day out there...Good job to everyone who came out. Tracy, you weren't at O'Briens to collect your medal!!

Wish I could of been there. Was planning on it but got sick.

I got sick on the run throwing up 4x on the course. Just couldn't get done fast enough before the heat started wtih the sun over me. I finished but was very ill. The cramps got so bad on the second bike loop and I knew I was in trouble. They tried to stop me on the run but I was so stubborn I continued until I finished. Maybe stupid because I am still recovering from heat illness. My weight-in before the race was 133 and after 127. Not good at all! The drive home was horrible. Stopped 3x to throw up in parking lots along the way. This poor family watching me at Starbucks throwing up outside my car on Tatum. I wasn't thinking straight at all. I couldn't keep any fluids down and the thought of drinking anything made me sick. Called my husband and said I was going to stop at the hospital but then decided not too.

I trained so right for this couse but always did it in reverse to avoid the heat. Bummer. If they have the Bartlett race in Nov or cool months I want to come back and do it again. The Mt. Man Olympic in July I completed in 3:14 hours. Very awesome. This one took forever and just wanted to stop and die on the asphalt. That run I should had finised in 1:07. Darn it!!!!! But, I guess when your sick your sick and just have to decide to quit or go.

There was a very nice volunteer helping out and would run over to me to pour water on me. She was so awesome. She even practically carried me to my car. Great team of volunteers. Mark and Tony put together awesome races! I will have to call Tony and Mark to let them know I am ok.

When I started tri's I took Mark's class in Scottsdale four years ago. Awesome bunch!
2011-10-03 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3709049

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
To say that you were a warrior isn't enough...When I saw you climbing that hill on the run holding your side I knew how determined you were. I didn't even realize how bad it was. You are a shinning example of what being a "triathlete" is all about. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bartlett Lake Olympic Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2