General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after a flu bug? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-16 10:26 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Training after a flu bug?
Is there a general rule of thumb about how long to wait to train after getting a flu bug?  It was a minor stomach flu, mostly bad on day 1, and was much better on day 2 - just a little weak/tired, but not bad.  I already missed a group OWS, and tomorrow is a run boot camp workout that I'd hate to miss.  If I feel generally ok, should it be fine to go - or is that asking for trouble?  I don't quite know when to listen to my body vs. suck it up and go for it.

2011-08-17 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3646719

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Training after a flu bug?

Personally, I would go with listening to the body!  My general rule of thumb with viruses is that I won't do any training unless I'm feeling okay (normal energy level, no below-the-chest symptoms for colds, no gut symptoms) with normal non-workout activity, and I won't do anything hard until I've felt okay for a couple of easy workouts. I definitely wouldn't do anything like "boot camp" the first day back. It's too easy to relapse. There are rare but real cases where someone got heart damage by pushing too hard while still infected with common viral illnesses.  It happened to a good friend of mine in her early 30's, and she was left with permanent heart damage after a minor bout with the flu. Not to scare you, but boot camp will still be there next time. If you're feeling great, I'd do an easy run, swim, or bike.

2011-08-17 7:50 AM

User image

Champion

1.  That's not the flu.

2.  Train when you feel ready.  Don't overcomplicate things.

2011-08-17 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Ohh I could tell you stories.  After a few very nasty experiences in the Army, where they aren't impressed with people who miss PT for sick call, I learned to not mess with a virus.  Listen to your body very carefully, wait one day after you start to feel "pretty much OK" before you work out at all, and another day or two after that before you hit it hard.  As has been already said, the workout will be there again next week.  Going too hard too soon can really mess you up, take it easy.
2011-08-17 8:56 AM

User image

New user

SE Wisconsin
My general rule of thumb is when I feel like I'm ready to return to training, I then take 2 more days off. Better to take an extra day or two than rush back to soon. Once you get back at it, take the first few workouts slow and easy, and a bit shorter if necessary. Hope you're feeling better soon!
2011-08-17 8:59 AM

From a running background--they always say you can run with a head cold, but don't mess with a chest cold, and anything in the tummy you probably don't want to run anyway!

I'd go to the boot camp but tell the trainer you're getting over a bug, and then just listen to your body.  You'll probably start feeling tired more easily.  When you do, rest a minute.  If you don't make it all the way through, then at least you tried.

The only other thing I'd say is be really careful of your hydration--drink plenty.  It helps you heal as well as train

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training after a flu bug? Rss Feed