Firm Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 46s
Overall Rank = 147/223
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

I didn't 'carbo load' with beer the night before so I didn't sleep very well. I was up before 4:00. Ick. I showered, made coffee and had a quick breakfast. I loaded my bike on my car (which is not easy to do in the dark) and was out of here around 4:30.
Event warmup:

I got to the race site around 5:30 and picked up my packet and got body marked. I just hung out and didn't do much of anything. Not too many friendly faces to chat with. I hit the port a potties (ewwwwww) and checked out the water. That is about it.
Swim
  • 09m 38s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

People need to learn to swim. Good golly, I haven't trained in the pool so I positioned myself toward the back and outside. Yeah, I should have been right up front. I kept running into backstrokers and breaststrokers. No big deal but it was really tough to get around them. I was able to settle in and swim my own little swim so all wasn't lost.
What would you do differently?:

Start in the front and avoid all of the breast/backstrokers.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

There was a bit of a run to the transition but nothing crazy. People were coming out of the water and walking so I had to weave through. Got into transition and threw my socks/shoes on, put on my helmet, grabbed my bike and off I went to the mount line. Had trouble again clipping into my pedals. Not sure why as I never have issues in training.

Move faster?
Bike
  • 40m 58s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.11 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a three loop course. First loop was crowded but pretty good. I enjoyed the route, it was right along the water. Just a nice ride. The second loop thinned out and I just was riding along. I was pushing myself but nothing too crazy. The third loop is where is started to go wrong. I was mashing and barely going 14mph. I thought maybe my tire was flat. I asked a girl passing me and she said nope. I was feeling a bit tired but still didn't think my effort was equaling my pace. No matter, I mashed it out and finished the bike.

Turns out that I broke a spoke. Whoops!

Not have mechanical issues and train more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I ran into transition and promptly lost my rack. I ran right by it and had to turn around. Clearly I lost lots of time because of that. I racked my bike and swapped my shoes, grabbed my race belt and hat and off I went.

Not lose my rack.
Run
  • 29m 12s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I loved this run. It was along the water and flat. I settled into a nice pace and just ran my race. I was happy to see the turn around though. Grabbed some water and kept on plugging away. While I didn't pass too many people, only a few passed me. So I am pretty pleased with that.

More training outside and just run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the line and grabbed some water. Then I went and packed up my stuff and headed to my car. I loaded up and was about to leave when I decided I wanted to see if the results were up. I walked back to the transition area and found the results. It took me awhile to find my name but when I did I was shocked to see I was 1st in my AG. I was sure it was a mistake. I have NEVER placed in a tri before. I stuck around for the awards and was shocked when they called my name. You just never know who will show up on race day and today the fast girls must have stayed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Simple, I need to train more and be consistent. I am very happy with how I raced today. It is a huge improvement from my race two weeks ago. I plan to be back next year to race this event again. With a year of consistent training, I think I can knock off quite a bit of time.

Event comments:

Overall I liked this race. The roads were a bit rough but the closed course is very nice. This is a nice flat course which can be hard to come by here. A low key event and just a fun time.

Last updated: 2011-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:38 | 440 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 145/223
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:03
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:58 | 11 miles | 16.11 mile/hr
Overall: 131/223
Wind:
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:12 | 03 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 174/223
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back along the water.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-17 8:22 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: Wild Dog Triathlon

2011-08-17 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3648176

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Wild Dog Triathlon

Congrats on the first place finish!

I love the course, it is fun and fast...where I did my first tri.

Broke a spoke...yikes and you still won.

Enjoy your victory....well done

2011-08-18 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island
Dig it!! Nice job!!!
2011-08-19 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Hardware way to go! I did a race last year came off the bike and had no bearing of where my rack was. What a bad feeling.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wild Dog Triathlon Rss Feed