General Discussion Race Reports! » TRI Peachtree City Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TRI Peachtree City Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Peachtree City, Georgia
United States
Tri Peachtree City
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 29s
Overall Rank = 18/955
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/133
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the crack of stupid and got in the car by 4:10, at the parking lot at 5:20, it was quiet!
Event warmup:

Chatted with thecaptin before hand then hit the water for about a 150 yard easy swim.
Swim
  • 08m 22s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

TT start so didn't go out way too fast like a wave start, moderate effort pace but definately not a sprint pace, which felt comfortable. Got into a groove relatively quickly and thought I seeded myself correctly, in fact was faster than my 1:35 seed pace. Unfortunately a high % of those in front of me chose to either start early or mis-seed themselves cause passing was furious and frequent, in fact, passed one guy on his back after 100 yards??? Dude, you are going to get swum over. Anyway non-eventful swim, no contact and starting around 7:15, the sun was just peaking up so not a factor at all with sighting
What would you do differently?:

Push a little harder at the start and actually wear the speed suit.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

So first transition without having to take off the speedsuit/wetsuit or even bother putting on a watch or sunglasses. I wore my garmin from the start so just ran up, helmet on, grabbed bike with shoes mounted and took off. Unfortunately I was really close to the swim exit and far from the bike exit so had quite a ways to run with the bike. Then you leave transition and have to run through the lot with a hairpin turn before the mount line. No passing for the first 1/4 mile to exit the parking lot made for some bottlenecks however that gave me plenty of time to get the feet into the shoes, otherwise I would have been frustrated stuck behind the no pass zone.
Bike
  • 33m 11s
  • 13 miles
  • 23.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed hard from the get go after leaving the parking area. Legs didn't feel like there was much power and the HR was spiked for basically the whole ride, I was definately pushing it past the comfort zone. Never got passed, that was cool!
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

So come into T2 right behind 2 other guys, we all three are approaching the dismount line and the two of them swing the legs over, brake and stop at the line. So I swing to the inside and hop off in a full sprint right past them, awesome! Then about half way through T-2, the left shoe pops off the pedal, argh, turn around pick up shoe and now the bike on my shoulder and go sprinting to the rack. Socks on, shoes (thanks yankz), grab hat/race # and hit the run exit.
What would you do differently?:

Since this is such a bumpy transition area and I had a long way to go, just carry the bike on the shoulder from the beginning.
Run
  • 21m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of T-2 at a high turnover rate and started plugging along. Was feeling gassed at the 1.3 mark and saw thecaptin coming the other way with his typical race face, that is classic and I look forward to seeing it any chance I get. So yell Captin! we high 5 as we pass. That gave me a little mental boost. Hit the turnaround and then around 2.3 is a slight uphill and I'm super gassed by now, I see thecaptin up ahead so push on as I have a rabbit to chase..... finally catch him on the downhill with about .4 miles to go then hustle it home to the line.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and chatted with thecaptin for quite a bit, said hey to 15step and chatted with Derek (haven't seen him in a while either so we caught up a bit about racing). Loaded the car and headed home.

Event comments:

This is my 4th PTC race and there is a reason why I come back. I love the whole experience from the pre-race, transition area, super volunteers, on-time, awesome swag (yankz, gel, water bottle, longsleeve shirt, cowbell), rolling bike course and shady run. Plus seeing and hanging out with your racing buddies is always cool!

Last updated: 2011-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:22 | 586 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/133
Overall: 0/955
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: TT start 2 every 5 seconds, cross mat, enter water and swim about 200 yards to a 90 degree right, then about 200 yards to another 90 degreee right, then back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:11 | 13 miles | 23.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/133
Overall: 12/955
Performance:
Course posted as 14 miles but garmin was at just over 13.
Wind:
Course: Power rollers on basically closed roads, no vehicle traffic at all.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:02 | 03.1 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/133
Overall: 0/955
Performance:
Course: Mostly flat and shaded on golf cart paths near the lake with one out of back section between 1.3-1.8 mile mark
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-20 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: TRI Peachtree City Sprint Triathlon

2011-08-21 3:17 AM
in reply to: #3652109

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: TRI Peachtree City Sprint Triathlon

Outstanding race, brother...

Man, you are one fast SOB.

Not getting passed on the bike during a sprint is a sign you're a very good cyclist...Rock on.

Edited by d00d 2011-08-21 3:19 AM
2011-08-21 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Dude, you are FAST! That race has tons of fasties and a podium in your AG is awesome!
2011-08-21 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
I call you sandbagger, but really mean humble beyond belief!  You have every right to stand up and beat your chest on this result.  it was a great race and 3rd is your reward.  The field was strong and you got it done...but then you have been getting it done all year long.   

If I ever figure out how to run, you will not be chasing me down.  I have a goal...I have a dream.  
2011-08-23 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Good to see you, and way to go on putting down some sick times!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TRI Peachtree City Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed