Other Resources My Cup of Joe » help me plan the next family vacation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
help me plan the next family vacation
OptionResults
Hawaii5 Votes - [18.52%]
Italy3 Votes - [11.11%]
All Inclusive Family Resort - Beaches or ClubMed9 Votes - [33.33%]
Cruise3 Votes - [11.11%]
Disney cruise - keeps kids busy & adult friendly6 Votes - [22.22%]
cabin or cottage on lake/beach=family time1 Votes - [3.7%]

2011-08-21 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: help me plan the next family vacation
I'm at a loss for where/what to go.  In April my husband has leave from Afghanistan.  The US ArmyCorps of Engineers will fly him where ever he wants...  I'll still have to pay airfare for myself and 3 kids though.

Looking at April 6-16...

I'm thinking Hawaii (have friend there who can house us).  Maybe Italy?   Some place that is relaxing and allows us to enjoy time together.  Something that gets us outside (aka warm and sunny) but not on a hectic schedule... our own pace.

Have checked out cruises and not sure how'd we'd feel being so confined.

The kids are ages 6, 10, 12 so where ever we go it has to be child friendly

So BT - any ideas for our next family vacation?

Anyone ever done an all inclusive FAMILY resort?  Thinking Beaches or ClubMed...

Edited by tri-mama 2011-08-21 7:23 PM

2011-08-21 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3652846

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: help me plan the next family vacation

I'm a big fan of the National Parks, great active and out-doorsy sort of stuff to do at all of them.  In the Four Corners area in the Southwest, there is Bryce, Zion, Arches, and my favorite, Mesa Verde.  You might be able to rent a camper and have a really fun time.  Check the weather at these places though - it could be cold depending on the elevation.

I really like Mesa Verde - the cliff dwellings are very interesting, its fun to climb around on the ladders and junk to see the various "houses."  Plus, the people who lived there just disappeared, so that's a little freaky too.  There are Ranger led tours, kids tours (usually, I don't have kids so I don't always check), and its near Cortez - which has some nice restaurants.  The west is really different, especially when you are coming from the East.  Its huge - even great pictures cannot convey the scale of what you will see.

I have to get back out there.

2011-08-21 8:27 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

If Mexico wasn't such a problem now, there was a beautful All-Inclusive place my family and I went about 8 years ago through Apple Vacations -

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=5908609956076744288&q=Hotel+Riu+Palace+Riviera+Maya&hl=en&dtab=2&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&ie=UTF8&ll=20.650856,-87.11566&spn=0.00008,0.000086&z=14&vpsrc=0

Maybe check out the U.S. or British Virgin Islands?  I think for the U.S. Virgin Islands you don't require a passport -
http://www.virginislandsmap.com/

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2011-08-21 8:29 PM
2011-08-21 8:33 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Hawaii is fabulous but that will make a long flight from Afghanistan.

An all inclusive in the Caribbean would be easier to get to.  Plus, you can relax as much as you want or do as many activities as you want.  Check out the Beaches resorts as they are kid friendly
2011-08-21 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3652964

User image

Pro

dodgersmom - 2011-08-21 8:33 PM Hawaii is fabulous but that will make a long flight from Afghanistan.

An all inclusive in the Caribbean would be easier to get to.  Plus, you can relax as much as you want or do as many activities as you want.  Check out the Beaches resorts as they are kid friendly

x2

2011-08-21 9:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

never been there but maybe check the Mediterranean? i have friends who have gone and they always espouse how great it is almost anywhere there.

personally I am also a fan of the national parks or state parks. if you have never checked them out try a few, I like redwoods and Yosemite for that time of year though the southwest may be a lot better weather wise. if you were going in the summer i would aim you to some in the PNW.

2011-08-22 12:47 AM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
I'd reconsider cruises.  Lots of really big ships nowadays that are really spacious, plus all kinds of shows, activities, etc.  Plus most of them have kid's programs so you can get some couple time as well as family time.  The most child friendly is Disney Cruise Lines (go figure) but most of the other lines have good children's programming as well.  Staterooms can be kind of small (especially with five of you) but you don't wind up spending a lot of time in there anyway.  If the budget allows and your kids are mature enough, I'd think about a balcony cabin for you and your youngest, and put the two older kids in an inside cabin just across the hall.

Otherwise I'd vote for chilling out in Hawaii.

Edited by tjh 2011-08-22 12:51 AM
2011-08-22 1:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
Big fan of all-inclusive resorts. There are a ton of great ones in Mexico, but as mentioned not the best situation down there but not as bad in the resort areas as close to the border. I don't have first-hand knowledge of resorts in any other areas down there but I'm sure there are many. We have never done a family-specific resort but I think as long as you don't go to an adult-only one I think it would be fine. That would be my vote.

Italy would be great but not for what it sounds like you are looking for (rest, relaxation, care-free, etc.)

Edited by jneugeba 2011-08-22 1:25 AM
2011-08-22 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3653119

User image

Pro

tjh - 2011-08-22 1:47 AM I'd reconsider cruises.  Lots of really big ships nowadays that are really spacious, plus all kinds of shows, activities, etc.  Plus most of them have kid's programs so you can get some couple time as well as family time.  The most child friendly is Disney Cruise Lines (go figure) but most of the other lines have good children's programming as well.  Staterooms can be kind of small (especially with five of you) but you don't wind up spending a lot of time in there anyway.  If the budget allows and your kids are mature enough, I'd think about a balcony cabin for you and your youngest, and put the two older kids in an inside cabin just across the hall.

Otherwise I'd vote for chilling out in Hawaii.

...and Disney cruise lines lets you bring your own booze on board.

2011-08-22 9:50 AM

Master
Houston, TX

I'm your lone Italy vote.  The reason is because of your sentence "Something that gets us outside (aka warm and sunny) but not on a hectic schedule... our own pace."  There is a caviat to my suggestion though:

We've done the stereotypical all inclusive thing and if you haven't, then maybe that's a good idea.  Everyone should probably do it once.  I wouldn't go to Mexico for it, right now though.  They have them in Jamaica or Dominican Republic, etc......  I'd go to one of those places right now.  They are ok, but you tend to spend all your time AT THE HOTEL.  They have kids clubs, beach activities, snorkeling, and stuff like that, but you won't really get a sense of any different culture, which to me, is part of reason to travel.  Why spend all that time and money to go somewhere and not see anything new or different??????????  You really won't be saving all that much money and you can get a beach vacation with about the same type of stuff here in the states........   If you are there long enough, you also get tired of the food.  They serve everything on about a 7 day rotation and it just gets old to be honest.  You also HAVE to pay attention to the reviews of the food.  it's real easy for a bad buffets to ruin your stay. I'm just saying.

I'm suggesting Italy because Europe in general is VERY family friendly.  VERY.  They are probably more accommodating to kids than adults.  At least that's been my experience.  Italy moves at a slower pace, much more relaxed and has a much deeper sense of culture.  I'm suggesting places like Amalfi, Matera, Positano, Capri, Cinque Terre.  You can make trips to Rome or Florence from any of these cities if you choose (other than Cinque Terre, that's better for Venice).  There is also the island of Ischia that has a bunch of resorts.  This is a different type of vacation though.  For me, these types of vacations relax my soul.  The all inclusive's just takes my mind off of things for a while, about the same as your average weekend just more fun.  IMO a trip to Italy is going to be a little more memorable than an All Inclusive. 

I don't know what exactly you are trying to accomplish on the vacation, but if your choices are between an all inclusive and a trip to Italy....... I'm sorry but I just don't think there is even a question.  just my 2 cents.

2011-08-22 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
I'd vote for a Disney Cruise.  Kind of an all inclusive resort and cruise all in one.  Plus there's lots of places to ditch the kids for some grown up time.  

2011-08-22 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3653481

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
jgaither - 2011-08-22 9:50 AM

I'm your lone Italy vote.  The reason is because of your sentence "Something that gets us outside (aka warm and sunny) but not on a hectic schedule... our own pace."  There is a caviat to my suggestion though:

We've done the stereotypical all inclusive thing and if you haven't, then maybe that's a good idea.  Everyone should probably do it once.  I wouldn't go to Mexico for it, right now though.  They have them in Jamaica or Dominican Republic, etc......  I'd go to one of those places right now.  They are ok, but you tend to spend all your time AT THE HOTEL.  They have kids clubs, beach activities, snorkeling, and stuff like that, but you won't really get a sense of any different culture, which to me, is part of reason to travel.  Why spend all that time and money to go somewhere and not see anything new or different??????????  You really won't be saving all that much money and you can get a beach vacation with about the same type of stuff here in the states........   If you are there long enough, you also get tired of the food.  They serve everything on about a 7 day rotation and it just gets old to be honest.  You also HAVE to pay attention to the reviews of the food.  it's real easy for a bad buffets to ruin your stay. I'm just saying.

I'm suggesting Italy because Europe in general is VERY family friendly.  VERY.  They are probably more accommodating to kids than adults.  At least that's been my experience.  Italy moves at a slower pace, much more relaxed and has a much deeper sense of culture.  I'm suggesting places like Amalfi, Matera, Positano, Capri, Cinque Terre.  You can make trips to Rome or Florence from any of these cities if you choose (other than Cinque Terre, that's better for Venice).  There is also the island of Ischia that has a bunch of resorts.  This is a different type of vacation though.  For me, these types of vacations relax my soul.  The all inclusive's just takes my mind off of things for a while, about the same as your average weekend just more fun.  IMO a trip to Italy is going to be a little more memorable than an All Inclusive. 

I don't know what exactly you are trying to accomplish on the vacation, but if your choices are between an all inclusive and a trip to Italy....... I'm sorry but I just don't think there is even a question.  just my 2 cents.

I'm with jgaither on this one. Cruises and All-Inclusive resorts do nothing to relax me and don't make me feel like I'm experiencing anything new.
2011-08-22 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3653672

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I've been to Italy and Hawaii and can't imagine taking the 6 year old there.   The really interesting things are for grownups (museums in Italy, ecotourism in Hawaii which can be dangerous or not built for little kids like ziplining) and you'd end up dragging the kids around quite a bit.  Save that for a few years.  Especially Italy.

I voted for the Disney cruise.  I don't have kids, but have heard this suggestion for years and it sounds ideal to me.  A close second would be a resort.
2011-08-22 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3653672

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
graceful_dave - 2011-08-22 12:19 PM
jgaither - 2011-08-22 9:50 AM

I'm with jgaither on this one. Cruises and All-Inclusive resorts do nothing to relax me and don't make me feel like I'm experiencing anything new.

I'm with Jgaither and Dave with the Italy suggestion.  I have to admit that i'm a little biased because i spend a lot of time there, but from what you described you would like you won't find a better place.

The area of Positano or Pescara if you go to the other side are great suggestions.  Weather will be very nice, and you will be able to relax, or spend an entire day discovering things.  I would recommend you to look to the Livorno area to the North but keep in mind that in the south they are more family oriented and more kid friendly than in the north.

I would only go with the all inclusive if budget is a big concern, but if its not and you can spen a little more go with Italy, you wont regret it.

2011-08-22 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON

M2C...with the age of your children, the Disney Cruise sounds like the way to go.

Please tell your husband we are greatful for his service!

2011-08-22 1:25 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka

Come to my Luxurious 4 bedroom home in Minnesota.  I will let you spend the week with my Two kids, use or Fabulous blow up blue pool in the backyard (Not after 7 P.M. though, mosquito's are too bad).  There is a lovely lake nearby, but you will have to rent your own boat.  Oh, My wife also has two cats that need attending to.  one pukes in the kitchen, and one brings dead animals in.  What more could you want ?  Meanwhile, my wife and I will go check out one of these places for you...

Seriously though..

Hawaii would be my first choice.  I've been there a few times.  I vote for Kauai.  less nightlife and quieter for the kids.  Also a lot to see Look up waimea canyon 

Italy is fantastic, we've gone back a few times.  (Before kids).

We took a 4 and 5 year old on the Disney cruise, and they really know how to do it.  They also have "Private" clubs for Tweens and teens.  We are not cruise people, but this really worked.

Good luck, where ever you go PLEASE Thank your husband for us! and Thank you too!!

2011-08-22 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

With kids those ages I would do something like a resort or the Disney cruise. Disney is fun for younger kids, my parents tried to take us again when we were teenagers and it was boring as all heck (Disneyland in CA). Might be the best time to take your kids on a Disney cruise if that is really something you want to do.

Italy is great, but my wife and I are architecture and museum admirers so dragging kids along would be a nightmare for us and for them. Also I'm not sure that a kid could really appreciate Italy as well as they could a Disney adventure. I hated museums and buildings when I was a kid, love them now.

Just MHO with a large grain of salt as I have no kids.

2011-08-23 7:25 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
I was at Beaches Turks & Caicos for Memorial Day weekend this year.  Great Place!  Very child friendly.  Lots to do!  Good Food, lots of options.  Check it out, for sure.
2011-08-23 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3654921

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
japarker24 - 2011-08-23 7:25 AM I was at Beaches Turks & Caicos for Memorial Day weekend this year.  Great Place!  Very child friendly.  Lots to do!  Good Food, lots of options.  Check it out, for sure.

I was just looking at this 1 the other night... what was your room like?  clean, comfortable beds/pillows.

The problem I'm finding right now is that with online pricing they want to charge me for husbands airfare when i don't need that - I just need his accomdations (aarrgg)

Still looking and taking suggestions!
2011-08-23 1:32 PM

User image

Expert
Denver Area
Hawaii over Italy 'cause everyone speaks English, and not knowing the language can aid subtle stress.  I've never done all inclusive, so I can't speak to that, but I lived in Hawaii for almost 4 years (Oahu, Kauai, Maui).  For diversity of things to do I recommend Oahu or Maui.  Kauai does have kickazz hiking but can be difficult to get around, and the beaches are differenter than younger islands.  Flight packages can be wicked cheap, too.  You can pack light 'cause mostly all you need is slippahs, swimsuit, sarong, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen.  

If the persons who would house you are loving and welcoming, then definitely save the price of hotel and stay there. If you think there'd be any friction at all, don't do it.  The money saved on a great flight package would be well spent in a decent condo/suite where you wouldn't have to clean up everyday.

my $.02 
2011-08-23 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Disney Cruise all the way, particularly with the kids at the ages they are. Went on one in February of this year with my family (wife, 2 girls 11,8). Spectacular time. NEVER felt crowded, a million things to do, FANTASTIC kids clubs, fun from morning to night for EVERYONE, Castaway Cay (Disney's own Carribean Island) is a great, great spot. You can't find a more family friendly thing to do. It was awesome, and I'd go on another one tomorrow.

2011-08-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3655420

Master
Houston, TX

tri-mama - 2011-08-23 11:46 AM
japarker24 - 2011-08-23 7:25 AM I was at Beaches Turks & Caicos for Memorial Day weekend this year.  Great Place!  Very child friendly.  Lots to do!  Good Food, lots of options.  Check it out, for sure.

I was just looking at this 1 the other night... what was your room like?  clean, comfortable beds/pillows.

The problem I'm finding right now is that with online pricing they want to charge me for husbands airfare when i don't need that - I just need his accomdations (aarrgg)

Still looking and taking suggestions!

This is pretty common.  I've done the all-inclusive thing on several occasions.  The way I've done this in the past is to try to coordinate your flights to arrive at roughly the same time.  You will have to call the resort directly and explain your situation to one of the managers.  They will set you up a rate for just your husband (should be discounted).  part of the All-inclusive thing is that it's "all-inclusive", meaning Airfare, food, drink, room, transportation to/from airport (the inclusiveness of amenities can vary) so you'll have to make different arrangements.

When shopping for resorts I would just start with yours and your kids info, get the pricing and all the amenities, etc......  then when you settle on a place, call the resort direct for your husbands arrangements.  As I stated before, you will be very well served to pay attention to food/buffet reviews when picking a destination.  I know it sounds trivial, but the food can make or break a vacation.  consider that you will be eating it 3 times a day for the duration of your stay.  A lot of the resorts will have themed restaurants on site that will let you change it up, some will give you 1 free night per 3 nights stayed, some it will be a la carte, so check that out if finances are a consideration.  Additionally, there are different activities at the resorts like swimming with dolphins or eco tours or aquariums or what not.  For most of them, you don't have to stay AT that particular resort to take advantage of those activities, you can stay at one close by and travel to and pay the entry fee for whatever day you want to go.  Sometimes they charge it whether you stay on property or not.

Pay attention to hurricane season and if you plan to go during hurricane season ask what strength the hotel is built for.  We were going to have our wedding at one and a category 5 hurricane (wilma) squatted over us for 3 days during our wedding.  Needless to say, we didn't get married that day.  But the hotel was built to withstand a cat 5 and we never lost power and had food, plumbing, movies and water the entire time.  Afterward during the evacuations, we were sipping pina coladas on the beach eating steak and lobster, while virtually every other hotel was severely damaged and people were sleeping at the airport or convention centeres with backed up toilets and low water supplies and at staging areas for days.  It only makes a difference if it happens, but when it does, trust me you'll be glad.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » help me plan the next family vacation Rss Feed