General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One year to first tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-21 7:07 PM

Subject: One year to first tri?

I just posted this in the general chat thread, but thought maybe I'd get more input from the Ironman experience/specialty here...

I got bit by the IronMan bug after one of my swimming buddies did Kona last year, and have had it in mind to register this fall for an IM in 2012.  I am a marathoner runner with a swimming background, pretty new to biking.  Since winter 2010 I have done my base building "tri endurance style" training 10-15 hours per week [with cut weeks and taper <10] and long rides, bricks, and runs at 3hr+.

I really want to do an Ironman, but I struggle with making a commitment so far in advance because I'm the kind of person who wants to have the training in the bag and be "sure" I'm ready before I sign up for something. Obviously, this isn't possible here.

So for those more experienced, would doing an Ironman next fall be reasonable? My plan would be to base build with that focus after my fall marathon in October, get outside with a real training plan + some sprint/oly maybe a HIM during the buildup through July and August.  

Good time table? Or totally naiive?

2011-08-21 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3652861

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: One year to first tri?
Totally doable...especially if you're as fit as you sound to be in this post.  I went from non-athlete t0 12:23 IM finisher in a year.
2011-08-22 4:22 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
I'm going to assume that your swim volume is high because you are swimming with someone who has done Kona and that you maintain a decent run volume.

It won't be that hard to ramp up to an IM in one year for you.  Biking is about time in the saddle and has a very low risk of injury, so you should be able to build your mileage over the winter.

It's hard for someone with zero back ground in swimming to learn good technique and increase the volume in a year, and building running volume without injury takes a long time.  So you are fortunate to be strong in both those areas.

I would suggest that you focus on learning as much as possible about triathlons and Ironmans.  There are a lot of details that go into training and racing 140.6 miles, and you don't want to learn that stuff on race day.  This place is a great place to lurk/post.  You can ask anything here and nobody will think you are stupid.

Good luck.
2011-08-22 7:09 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
You very likely could but I would ask what is the rush? For someone with limited cycling experience, I would suggest a more gradual build rather than simply building to a 180km bike leg as part of a >8 hour race.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One year to first tri? Rss Feed