General Discussion Race Reports! » Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Course - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orillia, Ontario
Canada
World Endurance Canada
23C / 73F
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 40s
Overall Rank = 29/262
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5:30 am for breakfast and to pick up friend to head to race. 2+ hour drive to get there. Hit a bit of rain on the way but only overcast when we arrived. Watched some of the racers doing the sprint race before us. Got my race pack and set up transition.
Event warmup:

went for 10 minute run and stretch. Talked to a bunch of people. went down to race start and swam out and back to first buoy. Little bit of a bio break in the water to settle the nerves. Stayed away form other people during break :). Back to chore and hit an all out swim sprint for and about 25 me3ters to make sure my body was ready to be called on.
Swim
  • 08m 8s
  • 410 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a great start. I decided to start at the front of the wave. As the horn sounded I bounded like a frightened deer into the water for about 5 steps and then the water was too deep. I hit the water and thrashed my way forward like a pail full of snakes. ( water snakes though ). I then fell into my swim rhythm and looked to see where I was. Low and behold I was right up front where I was hoping to be. Great start. One you guy slowly pulled up and passed me. I snuck in behind his swirling vortex and drafted most of the way to the first buoy.I had caught quite a few of the previous wave before I reached the first buoy. It was a bit of a bar fight (Sugar's terminology but quite appropriate) at the first turn but managed to get through nice and close to the buoy and missed getting kicked or punched. After that it was just hit the jets and let her rip to the end of the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Noting except hope to swim a little faster. I thought my time was OK but I am sure if I had swum in the last 2 weeks I could have been a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

I had set up my bike in what I though was an excellent position, straight down 5 rows from the swim entrance and run exit. As I got back into the transition they had changed the run and I had to turn left and run to the end of the transition area around the last racks before I could cut all the way back across the transition area to where I had racked. I was disoriented and looking in the wrong row for my bike until I realized what happened. When I got to my bike I was frazzled and took too much time getting my wet suit off. Once I got it off my brain kicked back in and I grabbed my gear and ran out to the bike start. probably a 150m run to the mount line,

Not much. I thought I was well situated and set up. Nothing you can do when they change the route 10 minutes before a race and you've already gone to the swim start.
Bike
  • 22m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 16.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall not a bad ride. I had a little trouble getting into one pedal. I had the shoes on the bike but one elastic had broken and it took me a bit to get my foot locked and loaded and the shoe done up. Didn't help that we started on a tough up hill grade. There were quite a few people walking their bikes up the last part of the hill. I didn't think it was all that bad. Great coming back though :). Overall the course was mostly rolling with only a couple of very short hills other than the first one. Once up the first hill I was able to get into aero position and was able to stay there a good part of the time. The ride was a little slower than usual due to the first hill and the slippery turns. There was a fair amount of water on the road due to a down pour just as we were starting the race and I saw several people flopping around like fish out of water on corners they missed.

Get better rubbers for my pedals to hold them in place :).
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

great transition. Very happy especially with the 150M run from dismount to racking.

nothing.... smoother than goose poop slipping between your toes.
Run
  • 12m 31s
  • 1.55 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

For a change passed a number of people on the run. Definitely one of my better ones. Had some unexpected friends cheering as I came out of transition and then about 200m from the finish. I did a negative split which was exactly what I had hoped for. It helped that I ran like I had stolen something for the last 200. Whatever it was I stole though couldn't have been very expensive cause I think I could have gone faster with a cop chasing me :)

I still want to improve my running. I felt much more comfortable but I know I can do better. Probably work intervals more to improve my speed.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around. head back to the finish line to catch my friend finishing. He got 5th in age group. Same age group as myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

short legs. rain and no cops chasing me.

Event comments:

Other than the change in the transition area after a lot of us had left it was a well organized race.

Last updated: 2011-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:08 | 410 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 22/262
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: rectangular about 150m out 75m across and 150m back in
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:22:03 | 06.21 miles | 16.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 61/262
Wind: Little
Course: out and back through the town. about 5 K was on an access road beside the main highway. Slightly rolling with one long flat stretch and several steeper hills strategically placed with sharp turns right at the bottom..
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:12:31 | 01.55 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 61/262
Course: Out and back along the lake shore road. small easy rolling course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-21 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Course

2011-08-22 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3652872

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Course
Nice job Rob!! 
2011-08-22 6:48 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Well done. Way to negative split the run.
2011-08-22 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3654484

User image

Great job, Rob! And an entertaining RR, too. Goose poop - ew. 
2011-08-23 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Great job Rob!  Glad to see you out racing again.  :-)
2011-08-23 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
like a pail of snakes... LOL!!!!!   awesome job rob!  esp the run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Northern "Orillia" Triathlon - Try-a-Tri Course Rss Feed