EndorFun
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 39m 39s
Overall Rank = 1335/1692
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 158/173
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at Ellacoya at 3:50 a.m. and got right in and parked. Napped on and off til 5, set up transition before it got really busy, then went back to the car to nap a bit more. I ate the box of Wheaties Fuel from the race packet and tried to nap some more. My family arrived on the shuttle a little after seven, and we watched to pros come out on the bike then headed over to the swim start.
Event warmup:

A little swimming and lots of stretching. I had a gu and water 15 minutes before my wave started.
Swim
  • 45m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was the best part of my day. Smooth and steady the entire time. I lined up towards the back and left on the clockwise swim but ended up near the buoys pretty quickly anyway. I drafted well for the first half of the race but then passed the guy whose feet I was on. After making the second turn and heading towards shore, the following waves caught up with me and it got a little rough. I passed a couple people from the waves that went off before me. That was pretty cool. I planned on a 45 minute swim and clocked in at 45:07. Not too shabby.
What would you do differently?:

I tried to turn to shore a little early when the buoys changed from yellow to orange. Next time I'll make sure to know exactly where the turns are on the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

I discovered the best thing ever: wetsuit strippers! They were awesome. I was pretty dizzy coming out of the water, but I did jog in. Took my time but it all went smoothly.

Move faster.
Bike
  • 4h 01m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.89 mile/hr
Comments:

At the first timer seminar the day before the race, Coach Snow said that he didn't think the course was hilly at all. After racing the course, I've decided that pro's definition of hilly isn't the same as mine. Most of the hills weren't actually too bad. Marsh Hill was a Monstah, and the hills on Brown Hill and Farrowville were short but steep. It was nice and cloudy for the first half then it warmed up. I lost a bottle and didn't stop to pick it up, so I was really thirsty between miles 35-45. The last 15 miles were pretty rough.

Eat more; drink more. Train more hills.
Transition 2
  • 04m 12s
Comments:

Got off the bike fine with my shoes and walked it to my spot only to find a bike on the ground on top of all my stuff. So I just racked my bike in the next stop. No big deal, but I'd rather take an extra couple seconds to make sure my bike is racked well than to find it on the ground at the end of the race. I exchanged the clif bars for gus in my pocket, put my toe socks on, and walked out.
Run
  • 1h 45m 15s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 16m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Walking the run was a big part of my plan since I hadn't run in the three weeks prior to the race due to knee pain. I didn't have anything left after the bike anyway. Despite blisters forming within the first mile, I enjoyed the run course. As I walked out of transition by the announcer's tent, he announced my name and told me to pick it up and get moving. It was pretty cool. The aid stations were great and lots of people cheering us on. One aid station was handing out snowballs. There was a barbershop quartet singing near the turnaround. I was feeling better after a couple aid stations so I started running the downhills.

I drank lots on the way out trying to rehydrate

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my run/walk. The last six miles on the bike I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make the cutoffs, but I went a minute/mile faster than my goal pace. I would have finished the second lap in time even though I may have been dfl.

Run focused off season.
Post race
Warm down:

My wife had already got all my stuff out of transition due to the incoming storm, so I stretched well while waiting to get out of the park.

Unfortunately the massage tent was closing up as everyone was getting out ahead of the storm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Low training volume, poorly executed nutrition plan, and not having my garmin.

Event comments:

Timberman was a great event. The course was challenging but fun. It was a great first 70.3 race for me.

Last updated: 2010-10-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:07 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 158/173
Overall: 1357/1692
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Volt
Course: Single loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
04:01:55 | 56 miles | 13.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 172/173
Overall: 0/1692
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Single out and back. Very little of it was flat. Mostly rolling hills with a few short steep hills and one long steep hill. Most of the course has nice wide shoulders that were pretty smooth, but a couple of the roads were pretty rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:45:15 | 06.55 miles | 16m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/173
Overall: 0/1692
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps out and back. The sourse was closed early due to weather. A huge thunderstorm with high winds and hail was coming in, so they let me complete only one loop. At that point I was feeling good and had two hours to complete teh second lap before the course closed. I feel confident I would have made it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes