General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Help for first race (Oly) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-23 6:19 PM

Subject: Nutrition Help for first race (Oly)

Hi, I am here to ask for your help!!! I hope everyone is doing great. Turns out this Saturday is my first Tri, and its an Olympic distance. I have followed the 16wk 2x plan from this site and I feel great and ready. I just have a few questions regarding race day nutrition.

1. Should I drink extra water/Gatorade the day(s) before the race to be extra hydrated?
  2. On race day I should try to have a light breakfast 1.5 – 2 hrs before the race? I usually work out on the afternoon or if I swim or run in the morning I do it on an empty stomach. The only time I have breakfast is for long rides in which case its something light. Some fruit, bread, etc.
  3. I’m thinking of taking with me some gels, is it necessary for Oly distance? Or should I stick to Gatorade and water.
  4. What’s a good strategy to be well hydrated, take a couple of glasses of water with breakfast and then a Gatorade right before the race and anotherone at the end of the bike? What do you think

Thank you very much for all the advice I can get, I feel ready but I’m getting a bit nervous!!! Mostly very exited, I am hoping to finish between 3:00 and 3:15 hrs. but I understand that I should just enjoy this first time!!!

Best regards and thank you in advance for all your advice and help during my training.

2011-08-24 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3656107

User image

Veteran
Columbus
Subject: RE: Nutrition Help for first race (Oly)

1.  Water can tend to flush out some electrolytes but don't overdo the Gatorade if that is your choice drink.  G2 would work fine but just stay normally hydrated.

2. Go with what you have been working with.  Since it seems like nothing, try not to eat so it feels like you are carrying around a lead weight in your stomach.  Half a bagel and some PB or maybe some cereal should work.

3. You should be able to live without gels for an OLY but if you think you need them then bring a couple just in case.

4. Just being hydrated from the days before should be good.  Some people sip Gatorade the morning of but it makes me need to pee quite a few times.  If anything I like to be a tad thirsty when I start mine but do with what works best for you during your morning workout.

Have fun and good luck!  PS....nothing new on race day!  Seems to be why people have terrible times on their first race is they changed something last minute because their best friends, sisters, friends, uncle tried it and it worked.

2011-08-24 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3656107

Subject: RE: Nutrition Help for first race (Oly)

Thank you very much for your suggestions, i will take them into account!! And ill let you know how it went.

Thank you again!!!

Best Regards.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition Help for first race (Oly) Rss Feed