World Triathlon Corporation
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 01m 37s
Overall Rank = 903/2075
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 41/129
Pre-race routine:

Stayed 3 miles up the road. Woke at 4:15 got dressed and had 2 blueberry waffles, banana and mini chocolate donut. Lots of gatorade. Had my husband drop me off at 5:10..still parking spots left. No one was racked in the 2 spaces to my left (YEAH!) nice big transition area. Had plenty of time to hit the porta potty and take my time getting set up.
Event warmup:

Quick swim to test the goggles and a gel and some water.
Swim
  • 36m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Easiest swim ever! Just stayed with my plan to keep swimming and not deviate due to crowding to nerves...was able to stay very calm. Couldn't believe how easy it was.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers were great! Got a little confused going into T1 and ended up going down the wrong row, but soon realized my mistake and was able to cut through. Was a very typical, easy transition.

Make sure I know what row I'm in...write it on my hand or something!!
Bike
  • 3h 02m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was a lot easier than expected. Took it very easy on the hills and stayed at the comfortable pace on the flats and rollers. Lost my spare bottle at mile 7, so grabbed some gatorade...not the best choice as I just didn't take in enough for the last hour of the ride.

Choose water for additional hydration and maybe bring Hammer Fizz tablets with me.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

This is where it fell apart for me. Saw that the race clock was at 4 hours and I started 20 minutes after the pros, so I knew I had some wiggle room to get sub-6 hours. Spent too much time in T2 getting garmin on my wrist. As I ran out, realized the zipper on my jersey was stuck but the zipper part at split open..ugh!!

Run while putting garmin, double check jersey (and bring a spare) before leaving T2.
Run
  • 2h 17m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Had planned to stop at the first porta potty, so I did and then spent about 5 minutes (VERY DUMB!) wrestling with my tri jersey to get the zipper to go down. Finally just ripped the zipper off and started running only to find that my garmin was dead and I had no way of knowing my pace. Was very disappointed as I had really made huge improvments on my run over the last year and knew I could easily throw down a 9:30 pace...but with all the mis-steps I just lost it mentally and never really found my stride.

Check and re-check everything is working the night before (thought the garmin was charging but..who knows!) Bring a spare watch and a spare tank next time. Get better and knowing my pacing and how slow is too slow.
Post race
Warm down:

Straight down to the beach and soak the tired legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting too caught up in the little things on the run. Need to understand pacing better.. I was trying to take it slow only to find it's too slow and it drains my energy and I'm unable to pick up the pace.

Event comments:

Ironman needs to step it up a bit and not just rely on name recognition. The expo was seriously lacking, the SWAG bag was a joke and you get a shirt at registration and a hat (if you finish) but it doesn't even say finisher on it. The race itself was fairly well organized and the volunteers were outstanding. But after the race it's quite confusing were the different tents are...took quite awhile to find the food tent, never found massage tent and just too many people in a smallish area.

Last updated: 2011-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/129
Overall: 444/2075
Performance: Good
Suit: Nineteen
Course: Easy course...a little difficult seeing the red turn buoys. Just stayed calm and stuck to my stroke plan. Was a little crowded until the last turn buoy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:02:01 | 56 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/129
Overall: 829/2075
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very typical of what I usually ride. Couple of rollers on the first part and then a long steady climb at mile 10...then it's pretty much rollers and flat for the next 30 on Rt. 106. Coming back in a couple short steep zappers and a semi-long steady climb, but more descents on the last 15 than the first 15.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:17:52 | 13.1 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/129
Overall: 903/2075
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops out and back. One hill at mile 5 and 11. Overall fairly flat, some rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-08-24 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Timberman

2012-07-02 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3656687

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman
Hi there,  I saw your race report on the Timberman link, and that you are signed up again for this year - wanted to wish you a great race - seems like we had very similar experiences last year, nearly the same times on the swim and run.  This year I hope and pray to NOT get a flat on the bike.  Good luck, hope your training is going well, and maybe we'll cross paths in NH.
2012-07-02 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3656687

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman
Hi there,  I saw your race report on the Timberman link, and that you are signed up again for this year - wanted to wish you a great race - seems like we had very similar experiences last year (except for my flat on the bike  ), nearly the same times on the swim and run.  This year I hope and pray to NOT get a flat on the bike.  This year I talked two other friends into trying their first 70.3 there.  Good luck, hope your training is going well, and maybe we'll cross paths in NH.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Timberman Rss Feed