WTC
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 16m 6s
Overall Rank = 716/2600
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 123/350fin
Pre-race routine:

Bike and Gear bag check-in was Sat. Other than obsessing about forgetting something, this was uneventful. Had my own personal volunteer to show me to my bike rack location and walk me through transition. I got an excellent feel for the flow.

Race morning I awoke at @0400. Showered and began fueling: Oatmeal, PBJ, half a Lara Bar, Ensure, Coconut Juice, and 5oz of Diet Mt Dew. Sipped on Water rest of the time. Not a coffee person. But plenty of caffeine anyways. Got my Bike/Run/morning clothes together.
Event warmup:

Walked down to transition with my sister. She flew in from her new home in Arizona to support me. You Rock Sis! Got to transition and it was buzzing with nervous energy. I quickly borrowed a bike pump and filled up the tires. The race officials were harping on folks to deflate their tires the day before. In the heat some bike tubes had "burst" last year apparently. I'm not sure about the physics of that but it didn't hurt to drop the air pressure a little. In fact, when I got to my bike in the rack, a guy discovered he had a flat tire and was in the middle of a freakout. Felt sorry for him. My advice is to invest in some new tubes/tires and check all the mechanicals of your bike before your A race.
Anyway, I dropped off my nutrition--3 hour bottle of Infinit and bottle of water. Then I dropped off my special need bike/run bags exiting transition. Then sis and I walked the 3/4ths mile down to swim start.
Swim
  • 1h 11m 15s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got to swim start about 5:45. Some folks had been there since before 4am I imagine...which is crazy considering swim start was at 0700. I thought we were about middle of line but as they starting compressing the line we got pretty close to start. Pros went off at 0650 and they were cruising in the calm, open water...must be nice. I entered the water around 0715. I found out later that EMS/divers had to pull a man from the water about 300y out. They held the age-groupers line as they pushed him up to the ambulance doing CPR. Later, found out he died. I didn't see that..Must have been terrible for his family.
The swim was otherwise uneventful. Crowded in the first 500y, cleared out a little as people veered off. I caught on to a few people's feet but none were consistent..they either slowed down or I didn't like their lines to the buoys. So I just moved around them and kept going. It would open up at times and I could lengthen my stroke and pull stronger. Other times I was fighting to get around slower swimmers. Overall it was very easy to navigate. I stayed on the buoy lines and counted the bridges. The down river segment was faster. Not sure if there was current or just more open water so I could bilateral breath and move along better. I was planning for 1:15 so was happy I had banked a few minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my goggles are well seated before diving in. Got a little water in them and had to adjust quickly. Could have gone with clear lenses as it was overcast but didn't have too much trouble sighting. Those tyr nest pro goggles were super comfortable..better than the speedo vanquisher--socket-type or this distance at least.
Transition 1
  • 06m 6s
Comments:

There was a short run up from swim exit, across a foot bridge, and down to transition. Called out my race number and a volunteer had my bike gear bag for me. Ran into the changing tent and sat down. I put my helmet and shoes on. Put my gels in my pockets and ran out with my sunglasses( they were too foggy to put on). I didn't need socks and I didn't have to change clothes from the swim. There were quite a few folks doing full kit changes..must have taken forever with wet skin. A volunteer took my bag after I put my swim cap and goggles in. I stopped to get lathered in sunblock from the volunteers and made quick pit stop at PP. Then I quickly located my bike and was flying out of transition. Awesome, to see my family at the bike start yelling for me. I was still smiling, they said.

Nothing this race. I could save a few seconds here and there if it was important. It wasn't.
Bike
  • 5h 58m 28s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed this ride. I had a goal race wattage and tried to stick to it. There was a crossing to headwind heading out. I just started drinking and eating. Took it easy for first 20miles. The out/back on 1694 was entertaining. There was a guy in a devil's costume and another dressed up as the grim reaper. Felt I was at the Tour de France..but these hills were Cat 5 at most. I went screaming down the downhills and spun up the inclines. That over, I knew the two 30mile loops were next. I wanted to stay patient, be careful with power surges and keep my nutrition up. Everything was going well..actually faster than I had expected. With so many rollers it was hard to keep in a rhythm but I planned for that. I stopped at special needs(mile 65) to get another 3 hour bottle of Infinit and replenish my gels. I also put a red bull in my back pocket. I had promised myself that for mile 90. I rode with pretty much the same group...we'd trade positions. I was able to take my nature calls on the bike so didn't need to stop any other times. I knew I was hydrating well. Plus the temp was just in the low 80s. Around mile 80 we turned back on 42 to head back into town. There were a few crosswinds but mainly a tailwind especially the last 20miles. There was only one aid station between miles 87 and 107, so I loaded up. Around mile 100, I started to get a twinge of a cramp in my right thigh. I was able to take a salt tablet and drink alot of water to knock this down. I took it easy on the last 20 miles. My watts were low but I was moving along at 20-21mph. I just let the wind take me. I wanted to rest my legs a little also. I knew I would break 6 hours. That was not what I expected given the training ride I did in July..but 105 heat index might have something to do with that.

Maybe consider a compact crank to keep power surges very low. Or ride to a slightly lower wattage to leave a little more in run tank. Either way, I need to work on my FTP next season.
Transition 2
  • 08m 46s
Comments:

Pulled feet out of shoes and dismounted quickly. Volunteer took bike to rack. I ran down to get my run gear bag. Into changing tent, I, slower than wanted, put on my socks and running shoes. Got my hand-held water bottle filled and grabbed my nutrition, hat, watch and sunglasses. Got lathered in sunblock again and stopped for quick PP pit stop. Then out to the run.

Dump out my bag completely so I'm not hunting for things. Pre-fill water bottle.
Run
  • 4h 51m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Running out of transition, I saw family again cheering. always a energy boost. I admit at that point, I was feeling a little discouraged about running a full marathon. I ran up over the bridge and back down in to town. I felt good and kept pace slow. I was moving pretty well through mile 12. My pace was slower due to walk breaks at the aid stations but I was ok with that. It was starting to heat up and I wanted to stay on my hydration and fueling schedule. As it turned out I probably didn't drink enough during the first 2 hours. I stopped at run-special needs to change socks and grab more gels. First my left then right hamstring cramped. The nice volunteers were putting my new socks on and struggling to get my shoes on..I was just sitting there like I was paralyzed. It would be comical if I wasn't in so much pain. She was like, "Sorry baby, we just need to get you back running". It was reassuring that she knew what I needed to do. I just had to get running again. I eventually got back up and shuffled until the muscles loosened up again and I was running. I didn't want my family to see me walking and I knew they would be near the turn around @mile 14. I saw them and was so happy. I kissed my wife and smiled at my awesome kids and rockstar sister.
Unfortunately, the finish line is 100y from the start of the second run lap. Man, that's hard to take. It was equaling maddening that as I was turning a guy was finishing. That sucked to see..I hope his urine was tested. Anyway, I turned back and started out again. I knew I had about 6 miles out and 6 miles in. My energy was ok but my feet and legs hurt to run. I had to slow down and do a walk/run. This was when I realized I was stopping for water but not really drinking it. But I also knew, ironmans are going to hurt so suck it up and finish this B#tch. Yes I did say that under my breath at mile 18 when I was having a low moment. I thought about my family, my sister, and my parents. I pulled strength from them. I ran the last 6 miles for the most part..speeding up slowly with a shorter stride to keep the hamstring from cramping. I had to go back to salt tabs and water drinking to keep cramps down. I chatted with a few people..comparing aches and pains..Everyone was in the same place. We would curse the 20 somethings that were on their second loop, flying by, looking too fresh. On my first run loop, most people were running. By the second loop, alot of people were walking. I also discovered most of the walkers had just started their first loop. I made that mistake telling a guy, "4 more miles". He was quiet for a few seconds and then said he was still on his first loop. I said sorry dude and wished him a great race and ran ahead.
The 2 most popular cheers were, "You got this!" and "You look Great!". I got very irritated by both at the end of the run. I just wanted to hear, "You look like crap, your trishorts are white from salt, and if you don't run faster you won't beat 5 hours". So I picked it up and finished my first Ironman..running stronger down the last 1000m, smiling, waving at people and waiting to hear, "Bill Gannaway, You are an Ironman". Just freaking awesome to complete that epic day. Saw family at finish line. So glad they were there. I am very grateful to them for making sacrifices this year.

Stay on top of run hydration. Stop to get socks to carry with me. put on later if needed
Post race
Warm down:

Walking and more walking. Sipping on Sprite and Water. Then got hungry for pizza. Forgot about getting my Jelly Doughnut.

Last updated: 2011-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:11:15 | 4224 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 117/350fin
Overall: 732/2600
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to Point swim but wraps around Towhead Island before going down river to swim exit. @1300m out and about 2500m in.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:58:28 | 112 miles | 18.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 122/350fin
Overall: 637/2600
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back on mostly rural roads. Flat to start before a 10 mile spur with 2 moderate climbs, then a lollipop loop repeated twice before heading back. 3000-4200ft elevation gain depending on source. Relentless rollers on course. Wind was from N-NE. Historically the wind is E. The north wind was the best we could have asked for this race. It was steady when a headwind but their were gusty crosswinds that my deep dish wheels didn't like.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:51:31 | 26.2 miles | 11m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 123/350fin
Overall: 716/2600
Performance:
Course: 2 flat loops through downtown Louisville. A little shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-08-29 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-08-29 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3664926

User image

SWOH
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congratulations, Ironman! I was one of those people yelling that you all looked great... but to me, you all really did. Salt and all.
2011-08-30 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

Lol, funny stuff in there!  I like the part about the urine being tested....he, he.  AND...you look like crap, your tri shorts are white.....run faster......ha, too funny!

Huge congrats on your first IM finish!  Enjoyed being part of the LOU forum with you.  Don't think I got to meet you though, were you at Starbucks?  .........Well, maybe next time!

2011-08-31 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Strong first IM finish... congrats!

2011-09-01 6:31 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Way to go!
2011-09-02 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Holland, Mich.

What a great time!  Well done!  I'm pretty sure I'm the one that you said "only four more miles to go" to when I was on still my first lap.  But that's entirely ok!  I reallly, really wanted to respond "Yes!" and it took me a couple of seconds to remind myself I still had a long evening ahead ;-)

But I made it and appreciated the encouragement a great deal!  When I was coming back north on my second lap I remembered the place where you said "only four more miles, " and that's just about exactly where my daughter showed up to walk with me and encourage me.  Best wishes on your future races!

Tailwinds, Todd

2011-09-06 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Congrats ironman! Glad you enjoyed the bike, I sure didn't. I hope in the last few days you did get your jelly doughnut
2011-09-07 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Great job out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed