United States
Sun Multisport Events
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 19/34
Pre-race routine:

Yeah this was different. What was SUPPOSED to happen was I was to fly into Providence friday, Pumpkin was supposed to fly in to the Cape saturday and then I was supposed to race teh Oly on Sunday. Because I signed up late there were no indivdual oly spots left so I had to sign up for the combo sprint/oly although I had NO intention of racing the sprint. I was on a flight from Houston to PVD that stopped in philly but we were not supposed to get off. We land in Philly and they say we all have to get off because our flight is canceled. Awesome.

In the mean time I had gotten a text from Pumpkin saying his flight was canceled and rescheduled and one from Kathy saying that the race was canceled for sunday. Awesome. Meanwhile I called my mom and dad as soon as I knew the flight was canceled but they were already in Providence more than 2 hours early for my original flight. Great. So figured out Pumpkins flights were going to be OK for his arrival saturday. KathyG generously offered to pick me up from the airport and a bed for the night so I could do the sprint.

So I don't get to Providence til 10ish and then I was kind of concerned my bike/luggage would not make it as my flight got re-routed and now I was on a different flights but it made it. Kathy helped me put my bike together and I raced the sprint. I'm not into sprints. Really.

When we got to the race site I got registered etc and the bike guy was nice enough to give me a new long stemmed tube as we were having trouble pumping the tire with the vale extender plus he gave me a mini bike tune up. SCORE

New pre race routine :LARGE beer in the airport. Stressful day. Put your bike together at 11pm. have a glass of wione and chat with friends. Get 4 fitful hours of sleep and go race. MMMkay

Event warmup:

heh I almost took a nap on the picnic table
Swim
  • 08m 17s
  • 550 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Knew this was NOT a 1/2 mile just looking at it. No way. Was not wetsuit legal and i was actually glad of that. I didnt' really want to wear it for a sprint anyway. Went out hard as I could and actually was able to draft some. Kept with the lead pack. Watch time said 8:11 when I got up out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. My swimming has been crappy and my training has been a challenge due to pool issues. I'll take this swim all day long.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Its a ways from the pond to the transition area. I ran and walked some. I don't like to start the bike winded. Helmet and glasses on, shoes were on the bike. Nothing exciting

run more
Bike
  • 35m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I was not a fan of this course. LOTS of turns. A hill straight out of T1. I passed a LOT of people. Only one woman passed me and dropped me. Pushed super hard. I didn't have any water bottles with me. My aerobottle was at my parents and I never got there before the race. Kathy offered me one but I knew I wanted to kick it hard and I would not drink out of a bottle anyway.

4 in AG and 18th overall female. I can't complain.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Racked bike and sat down. Helmet off, shoes and socks on, hat on, belt on. Off I go. I ran and walked. No need to start winded.

Nada.
Run
  • 35m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Started by running 3 moniutes then walking one. Then I was on a good downhill stretch so I just ran it til I got to an up hill. Just didn't bother with water because I didn't want wet feet and its only a 5K. Wlked a minute. Would not allow myself to run on a down hill. Came to a BRUTAL uphill that lasted about a 1/2 mile. Suckage. Ran downhill. THere is a little uphill near the finish and I walked a little there. Ran the last 1/4 mileor so into the finish.

My run is in the toilet. Major life changes this year and injury. I did my best.
Post race
Warm down:

Caughtmy breath and then got some water. Packed up so we could beat it back to the cape.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep, stress, couldn't possibly be the gigantic beer I had in the airport :)

Event comments:

OK sprint done and we take off and the Graves drove me down the cape. . LONG FREAKING DAY. HUGE thanks to the Graves family for bailing me out!!!! For a race I had completely not planned on doing not too shabby

Last updated: 2011-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:17 | 550 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/34
Overall: 34/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle. NOT 880 yards. I put it between 500 and 600 so I put 550
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:30 | 12 miles | 20.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/34
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops. Not a fan fan of this course. Bike computer had it at 11.6
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:23 | 03.1 miles | 11m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/34
Performance: Below average
Course: One loop. Some BIG HILLS for a flatlander
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-30 6:48 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Cranberry Trifest

2011-08-31 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3666562

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest
nice job girl!! I counted only 3 riders in front of you when you passed me. So either you ran fast enough, or at least one of them was not in your age group. Either way, so proud of you putting in such a good race.

Sorry I missed Pumpkin. I was looking forward to meeting him. He is a lucky man. Hope he understands how lucky he is.
2011-09-04 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
MA

It was our pleasure to help with logistics so you could race despite a Hurricane.

The whole family was glad to help sherp for you and have a bit of time to see you this week.

Solid swim and bike...the run thing is over rated just saying..nice way to get it done!

See you in FL!

2011-09-04 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Way to roll with it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest Rss Feed