World Triathlon Corporation
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 53m 22s
Overall Rank = 1486/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 42/
Pre-race routine:

Same as usual. Got up, drank some coffee, ate breakfast and headed down to the transition area. It was nice not to have to take the bike and gear down. I kept feeling like I forgot something, though.
Event warmup:

After transition we went down to the swim start to get our spots in line. We wanted to get down there early and we did. I think we got into the water at 7:02 which meant we were really early in line, thanks to Linda Richey. She was pushing to get there early, a woman after my own heart. At 6am they moved us down to the docs which meant us early birds had no access to bathrooms. This was a shock and it was awful. I ended up using some guys bathroom on his boat that was docked right next to me. This guy was a savior. Ed Buck was peeing while he was walking. I'm pretty sure that takes practice.
Swim
  • 1h 24m 10s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

After the race was over I decided that the swim was the easiest section. Who would think I would ever say that. I had a better swim time than I was anticipating and I came out of the water feeling pretty good. Aside from the swim smelling like Diesel fuel it was very nice.
What would you do differently?:

I guess I can become a better swimmer but I'm taking this swim and holding onto it for a while. I'm very happy with this!
Transition 1
  • 05m 43s
Comments:

I moved swiftly through transition. I didn't have a helper but I really didn't need one. I was a minimalist for this event. I tried not to over think or over worry or over stuff my gear back. Everything was organized in my bag so I was swift in executing this transition.

Nothing. I'm happy with this. I may have stopped to use the bathroom if I could do it over again. I had to go pretty badly in the first few miles of the bike ride.
Bike
  • 6h 41m 10s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.75 mile/hr
Comments:

My legs felt pretty good on the bike. I had some ongoing mechanical issues with my Aero bars. I was riding heavy on the right because of my neck/left shoulder area and going over some of the bumps knocked the bars loose and they turned all the way to the right on me. I think I stopped a total of 6 times to tighten them. The last time I stopped I stopped because I saw a bike mechanic and I wanted/needed a screw driver to tighten them. I tightened it although it was still turned a bit - I was able to ride comfortably as is. Thank goodness for the bike guy as I was getting very frustrated. On each of these stops I took advantage and peed on the side of the road.

I'm still not sure I should have changed my cassette. I missed my old cassette and I was uncomfortable with the one I used. While it probably saved my legs for the run I just couldn't get in a groove on the flats going home. It also turned out to be a pretty good head wind coming home on this flat section.

You can always train more, train better, train smarter, etc... I think I did well. If I didn't have the mechanical issues and possibly handled my nutrition a little better I may have had a better bike but it was completely acceptable.
Transition 2
  • 11m 7s
Comments:

When I came in on the bike I was the only one running in transition. Smart or stupid I don't know. This time when I entered the tent there was a person that helped me. I think this slowed me down a bit. I didn't really care. I told myself I had 10 minutes in each transition TOPS, and since I only took about 5 in T1 I figured I could afford to take my time. I got my stuff on, got some sun tan lotion on and used the bathroom this time.

I saw Fred and Bill while I was running out of transition so I stopped and talked with them for a moment. Chrissy called Fred while I was standing there. That was pretty cool.

Not much I would do differently. I could have hustled through this a little but I was in no rush. I had no time goal I was trying to get and like I said I had allotted myself 20 minutes total in transition and used less than that.
Run
  • 5h 31m 12s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Immediately I felt okay. I was running a slow pace and it was a pace I knew I could handle the entire way. I was doing a 14 minute run 1 minute walk plan and hustling through aid stations. Getting through the aid stations quickly was tough because it was hard to find the broth. My clothes were all white and I needed the broth. Water and broth and a bit of perform at each aid station. I ate a lot of bananas throughout as well.

First loop went great. As I was heading to the turn around I saw the RIchey boys so I stopped to chat for a moment then out for the second loop. At around mile 15 I had to go to the bathroom something awful. Awful to the point where I could NOT run, so I walked purposefully until I reached a bathroom. However, nothing was happening in there. Just enough to get me moving for a little while longer. Then I had to go again and couldn't run again. This went on until about mile 21 when I told myself I was going to sit there until I took care of business. It was a shame because my legs were feeling okay but my inability to go to the bathroom was hindering my progress.

So, I go into this porta potty and it's the most gross thing I ever saw. I honestly don't know how this bathroom got to look this way. It looked physically impossible to get shit where there was shit. I was nonplussed. BUT, I had to go. It was awful. I got it done and off I went and I was able to pick up the pace again. PHEW!!!! That bathroom was the grossest thing I had ever seen BY FAR!!! It's as if someone bent over at a 90 degree angle and just exploded - it was everywhere. UGH

In hindsight I would have paid more attention to my sweating on the bike. I was playing catch up throughout the entire run but I think I handled it very well and successfully. My legs felt great at the pace I was running. I was a little disappointed that I had the stomach problems for the 5 miles but it wasn't that bad and it could have been A LOT worse. I saw some folks out there that looked just awful.
Post race
Warm down:

I did a lot of walking and running after this race was over. The Richey boys and I walked out to the aid station that was .6 from the finish to see if we could find our friend, George, who was maybe not going to make the cutoff. I waited at the aid station while the two boys went out further to run George in. It was so f'ing close. He triggered the 1.6 mat with about 15 minutes to go. He was hunched over and out of it. It really looked like Night of the Living Dead out there.

They made it to where I was, .6 miles from the finish, I held him up on one side and Bobby held him up on the other. We ran as fast as he could. He had a little less than 8 minutes to get to the finish from .6 miles out. Everyone was shouting out times to us as we passed which was very informative and gave us an idea on how hard we had to push George to get to the finish.

So, as we approach the finish chute, we had to let George go and finish without our help. We let go and pointed him in the right direction. So he goes through the first chute (which isn't the finish) then falls into the Ford car. The crowd is going nuts. He has about 40 seconds to get to the finish. Mike Reilly comes over to him and george tells him to "give him a minute" because he's cramping. Mike Reilly says "don't you want to finish first?" George says "I didn't finish yet." Mike Reilly points George in the right direction, the crowd goes insane, George crosses the finish line with a 10-20 seconds to spare. It was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e2pOmaaAOQ&feature=email

(in this clip, you can see Mike running over to help him up)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't know that anything limited my ability to perform faster. I could have hustled a little more. I certainly could have pushed myself on the run a little more. Overall, I'm very happy with this first time Ironman experience.

Event comments:

I had a great time in Louisville Kentucky. We had a nice group come down and everyone finished the race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-10-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:10 | 4224 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course: Course was cool. Up the river through a channel with no current then down the river with a current. The section up the river was tough because there were tons of people. It didn't thin out until you made the turn and headed down the river. My goggle strap came in front of my face from the jump in. I thought it was some type of plant life and was trying to get it off. Then I realized it was my goggles after I got water in my left eye. I fixed it and moved on. Honestly, the swim wasn't that bad. My neck didn't bother me and I felt relaxed throughout the entire swim. Sighting was easy and after the turn around it was nice open water.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:41:10 | 112 miles | 16.75 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: This was a rolling course. First and last 20 are pretty flat but inbetween all of that was either up or down. If you weren't prepared for 112 miles of rolling hills this course could have made you feel like shit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 11:07
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:31:12 | 26.2 miles | 12m 38s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: FLAT & out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-31 5:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-08-31 6:40 AM
in reply to: #3666909

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
It was a weekend that I will NEVER forget . We had all five finish and some great drama .
2011-08-31 8:40 AM

User image

Carrie - You did great!  Congrats to all of us.  It was an amazing, awesome day!  Laughing
2011-08-31 9:14 AM

User image

Great race and race report, Carrie! Very funny about the porta-pottie.

It was so much fun going to IMLO with you. I had a blast!

2011-08-31 11:14 AM

User image

Congratulations Ironman!  Great job.  Also glad to hear that your friend made it in just in time! 
2011-08-31 11:38 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats!!!!!  It was so hard to run past the porta potties.....they all smelled sooooo bad!!!  I'm glad I did not have to use one.  After an IV at medical and a shower, I went back down to the finish line to cheer on the last finishers.  I remember your friend.  That was awesome, especially Mike Reilly helping him get to the finish line!  We were all pulling for your friend to finish!!!!!

2011-08-31 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Awesome!!! Congratulations and great in helping your friend!!!! That is what Ironman is all about Laughing
2011-08-31 12:10 PM

User image

NW Arkansas
Congrats on your IM finish. You did great! I don't know if you remember me, but you and I ran a lot of that first loop together.

I saw your friend George finish at the end. It was truly an inspirational moment watch him come across the line!
2011-08-31 12:10 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
EEEEAAAAWWWWsome job IRONMANCarrie!!!!
2011-08-31 12:50 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
OMG your description of the porta pottie had me LOLing for a long time! 
Congrats!! 
2011-08-31 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

SO glad I did not end up opening THAT porta potty....lol ~ that may have been the end of me!!

Congratulations on your race!!

2011-08-31 4:32 PM

User image

SWOH

Oh my god, I can't believe you know that finisher guy! I was there cheering for him to finish. I screamed so loud that my throat hurt for two days, and I had tears streaming down my face. Watching him finish made my entire freaking month -- unforgettable.

Great race report, especially all the bathroom issues!

2011-08-31 7:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
Great job and excellent report!  You are awesome!  I am so excited you all finished.  I feel so inspired!!  I love the story about George and the YouTube video.  You are a great friend bringing him in for the finish! 
2011-09-01 9:21 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-09-01 6:33 PM

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
2011-09-02 12:17 PM

PA
Good job!

2011-09-02 7:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida

Congrats!   Nothing like your first Ironman and it sounds like you had a great one.  Very nice job on the swim glad to hear the neck didn't cause problems.  I've heard many people say that bike course can really getcha but you did awesome on it.

Make sure you let your body recover before you push too hard on becoming an ultra girl.  I will never forget my first Ironman finish but it pales in comparison to the 100 mile finish.  Run on girl~

2011-09-04 6:42 AM

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Nice (and to the point) race report! I was following a bit during the day online and concerned about your swim, so I'm glad this was not a problem for you during the race. Again, a very BIG congratulations on becoming an Ironman!
2011-09-08 9:43 PM

Regular
Holland, Mich.
Great race, Carrie, and great report!  I think I used the same porta as you did:  I stepped in, and, well, it looked like someone dropped their drawers and ... yuck.  But, it was the only porta open, and, when nature calls ...  :-)  Best wishes on your future IM's!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed