World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1411/
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 134/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Louisville Thursday. Got in late and crashed at the hotel. Got checked in Friday morning. Went and saw a few of the sites. Saw the Louisville Slugger factory and ate dinner at the HardRock. Took it easy most of the afternoon then went to the athlete welcome banquet that night.

Saturday was the practice swim in the morning. Felt great during the swim. Swam from the finish to one of the bridges and back. My watch decided to no longer be waterproof and was destroyed by the end of the swim. Got my bike and gear bags checked in that afternoon. Went to church Saturday night then had some pasta for supper. Went to bed about 10:00 but didn't get to sleep until after midnight. Slept very poorly. Up at 4:00, breakfast, shower, and got dressed. Met Jeff and Justin down in the lobby.

Walked to transition and found my bike. Pumped up the tires and gave it a last look over before race. After I was sure my bike was ready I walked with Jeff and Justing down to body marking and found the swim line.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little while waiting in line. Joked around with the guys and just tried to stay loose and relaxed. Ran down the dock and jumped in!
Swim
  • 1h 21m 26s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a really great swim. Got kicked/punched/dunked/swam over/ a few times right at the start. Stayed nice and relaxed. Got near the turn buoy and saw a bunch of guys walking in the river. I kept swimming and rounded the turn buoy. I actually got into some traffic after the turn but it thinned back out after a few hundred yards. The rest of the swim was great. Had no real problems the whole time. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the swim went. I finished about 9 minutes faster than I thought I would.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, had a great swim and enjoyed the whole thing.
Transition 1
  • 08m 34s
Comments:

Ran up from the swim exit and grabbed some water and Perform from the aid station, drank it on the run. Grabbed my bag and hussled into the change tent. Got changed with no problems. Took my time to make sure I did it right. Saw Justin as I was heading out of the tent. Hit the porta-crapper to pee, grabbed my bike and ran out.

T1 quote of the day "Man! What a sausage fest in here!" -Another athlete as he entered the change tent. I thought it was funny.

Stop at the sunscreen station on the way. Arms and legs got a little on the red side. Was a slower than normal transition but that was intentional.
Bike
  • 6h 43m 20s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.66 mile/hr
Comments:

If this had been a training ride I would have been really pissed with the pace, but I intentionally held back on the bike to save some for the run. Averaging under 17m.p.h. wasn't what I was hoping for but I think it paid off in the long run.

The ride started out great except my bike computer decided not to work, at all. I was fine when I checked it in the morning then was 100% dead on the ride. I rode just according to how I felt. The first 30 miles were easy. Going through LaGrange was fun, I got to see Kim, Dina, and the VanWinkles. Towards the end of the 1st loop I had a little bit of a mental struggle. I just started not feeling like I was riding well and didn't feel like being on my bike. When I hit the special needs area I stopped for my bag. It took a minute or so to get it, but the Snickers bar I had in there was the best tasting thing I had on the course. It was kind of a little 'pick me up' and I felt better the rest of the ride.

The rest of the ride went pretty well. No big problems on the bike.

Have a working bike computer. Maybe push the pace a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 10m 40s
Comments:

Was happy to make it to T2. Gave my bike to a volunteer and headed for my bag. Inside change tent I again took my time to make sure I did everything right. A volunteer came and helped me get everything back in my bag which was nice.

I made sure to hit the sunscreen table on the way out this time. Hit the porta-crapper again. I think I pee'd for 3 minutes, no joke. Ran out of T2 feeling good.

Nothing.
Run
  • 5h 19m 46s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

My run went a lot better than I thought it was going to. I left T2 feeling good and my legs felt fresh. I ran at a comfortable, east to maintain pace.

I ran the first 4 miles without stopping. After that I ran between the aid stations and then walked to be sure I was getting in plenty of fluid/calories. I ended up dumping my gels and Cliff bars. After eating so much on the bike, they just didn't sound good.

The first loop went really well. My overall pace was below 12min/mile. I saw Justin on my way back, he looked like he was having fun. Skipped my special needs bag, nothing I had in there sounded good. I tried eating a cookie at an aid station but it did bad things to my stomach. At first it was a little hard to make the turn to start the second loop, I could hear and see the finish line party but I got over that pretty quick.

My second loop started well, I saw the girls again, gave Jake a high five on the way by. I had to walk a little more on the second loop. Legs were getting heavy and tired. I saw Justin again and saw Jeff. Continued with water and Perform at every aid station. When I made the turn to go toward the finishers shoot, all the pain went away. They crowd was amazing. I high-fived a bunch of the spectators, heard "Jeremy, you are an Ironman!" over the speakers right as I crossed the line.

Nothing. I am very happy with my run and the entire race.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finishers medal, hat, shirt, and picture taken. Got some water and another bottle of Perform. Gave Kim a big hug and kiss. The finish line volunteers walked me to the end of the corral and passed me off to Kim. I walked/shuffled to the athlete care center. After the adrenaline of the finish line wore off my legs really started to hurt. Kim got me into the massage area then went back out to watch for Jeff and Justin.

Got a massage, some food, and my clothes bag. Put my recovery stuff on and headed back outside to watch more finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. I felt good about the training I was able to put in before the race.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed Ironman Louisville. I was very blessed to have my wife and some really good friends there to watch. It was great to train and race with Jeff and Justin.

Last updated: 2010-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:21:26 | 4224 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 148/
Overall: 1515/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Upstream around Towhead Island, then downstream to the finish.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:43:20 | 112 miles | 16.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 149/
Overall: 1543/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back, 2-loop lollipop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:19:46 | 26.2 miles | 12m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 134/
Overall: 1411/
Course: 2-loop out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-31 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-08-31 9:08 PM
in reply to: #3667856

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Amen to that brother.  It was awesome to be able to train and race with you guys.  You did a fantastic job for your first, Mr. Ironman.  Now go get that tattoo.
2011-09-03 9:44 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Hey stinker, you didn't put your total time in! Anyway, I know it was a good one so I'm not too worried. Man, you really did it didn't you? Great job putting in the hard work in training to pull it off with extra points for style. Reading you guys's race reports makes me wish my achilles was healed NOW so I could start run training for Kansas! Great race, great report, great job, and get back to work.
2011-09-07 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

Congratulations on a great race. It really sounds like everything went perfectly. Wear that IM gear proudly.

2011-09-07 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Great Job!
2011-09-09 10:42 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats, Ironman!!!!  Thanks for the report!

2011-09-17 8:46 PM

User image

Regular
Holland, Mich.

I can relate to being a bit "beat up" in the swim, since I swam much, much slower than you.  But still, congratulations to you Ironman!  Your report was great!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed