General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training indoors for iron distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-31 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
London, England
Subject: Training indoors for iron distance

So I was supposed to do IMKY this year, and I was rocking my training.  But all of a sudden I got a new job - dream job really - and had to move to Afghanistan for a few years.  It was quickly obvious to me here that with starting the job and adapting to the security environment, there was no way to finish my training and race.  Now I'm not so sure...

What do you guys  think about training indoors for an Iron-distance event?  In this environment, there is ZERO chance to train outside for the bike or run, so it's treadmills and spin bikes/trainers.  The pool is another story that I need to figure out, but I'd love to hear some thoughts on long-term training indoors at volumes upwards of 20+ hours per week.

All thoughts welcome, but specific experiences would be greatly appreciated as well.  Positives, negatives, pitfalls, things to be cautious of, etc.?

2011-08-31 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3667896

User image

Subject: RE: Training indoors for iron distance
2 years ago, NBC showed how two navy guys trained for Kona.  One guy was on a destroyer, the other guy was in a submarine.  Not really ideal...nor does it sound fun...but it's doable I suppose.
2011-08-31 3:40 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I feel it's very feasible physically. The biggest challenge is mental.
2011-08-31 3:42 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Take me with you...

Ken Glah, a noted elite Ironman competitor with a ton of Ironman top 20 finishes under his belt, has prepared for his Ironmans almost entirely indoors. He and his wife, Jan I think is her name, have a couple Computrainers, a treadmill and an indoor endless pool at their house.

Now, in the 'Stan, you probably won't find all those resources unless you are working in one of the major ISAF facilities. If you can rustle up a treadmill and a windtrainer and iPod you'll have everything you need. The big issue will be where to swim. There is a reason why Afghanistan hasn't fielded top Olympic swimmers... Surprised

2011-08-31 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3667971

User image

Expert
Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-31 3:42 PM

Take me with you...

Ken Glah, a noted elite Ironman competitor with a ton of Ironman top 20 finishes under his belt, has prepared for his Ironmans almost entirely indoors. He and his wife, Jan I think is her name, have a couple Computrainers, a treadmill and an indoor endless pool at their house.

Now, in the 'Stan, you probably won't find all those resources unless you are working in one of the major ISAF facilities. If you can rustle up a treadmill and a windtrainer and iPod you'll have everything you need. The big issue will be where to swim. There is a reason why Afghanistan hasn't fielded top Olympic swimmers... Surprised

Andy Potts trains inside as well.

2011-08-31 3:49 PM

User image

Pro
Andy Potts is orignally from Afghanistan. Thats why.Laughing

2011-08-31 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3667951

User image

Pro

tri808 - 2011-08-31 3:35 PM 2 years ago, NBC showed how two navy guys trained for Kona.  One guy was on a destroyer, the other guy was in a submarine.  Not really ideal...nor does it sound fun...but it's doable I suppose.

That was actually very cool. The guy on the destroyer riding his bike on the trainer on the deck, thens jumps into the ocean and swims next to the destroyer. It was cool to watch what some people go through to train for Ironman.

2011-08-31 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3667983

Veteran
Chicago
I believe that one of the guys from the Navy used a versa climber on his ship to help with simulating a swimming stroke and endurance.
2011-08-31 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3667971

User image

Veteran
London, England
Tom Demerly. - 2011-08-31 4:42 PM

Take me with you...

Tom man - thanks for this.  I don't work in one of the ISAF facilities - otherwise this would be a pretty simple prospect.  I've got the treadmill, and next time I'm on home leave I'll rustle up a trainer to stow back with me.  The swim is a major issue - were it the summertime, this would be comparatively easier because a few local places have outdoor pools.  There's an indoor pool in the Serena Hotel, but it's $30 per swim - ridiculous!  I'm searching around for other options, but they're not too readily apparent - gonna have to get super creative.

God hope the treadmill doesn't break...

2011-08-31 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3667988

User image

Veteran
London, England
Iowaman - 2011-08-31 4:53 PM

tri808 - 2011-08-31 3:35 PM 2 years ago, NBC showed how two navy guys trained for Kona.  One guy was on a destroyer, the other guy was in a submarine.  Not really ideal...nor does it sound fun...but it's doable I suppose.

That was actually very cool. The guy on the destroyer riding his bike on the trainer on the deck, thens jumps into the ocean and swims next to the destroyer. It was cool to watch what some people go through to train for Ironman.

Any idea what the show was called?  Would love to take a look.

2011-08-31 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3667965

User image

Veteran
London, England

TriMyBest - 2011-08-31 4:40 PM I feel it's very feasible physically. The biggest challenge is mental.

agreed on this front - thinking thru strategies tonight...

2011-08-31 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3668059

Veteran
byrdnj - 2011-08-31 4:51 PM

The swim is a major issue - were it the summertime, this would be comparatively easier because a few local places have outdoor pools.  There's an indoor pool in the Serena Hotel, but it's $30 per swim - ridiculous!  I'm searching around for other options, but they're not too readily apparent - gonna have to get super creative.

Wetsuit?  It sucks, but it's doable. I've spent quite a bit of time in 50 degree water-diving. And the surface air was even colder.  I've always thought it was easier to be on top of the cold water than underneath it.  I'm sure you can find a few cold water divers that will help you figure out a few tricks to stay warm.  Other than the obvious!

Edited by firegirlred 2011-08-31 5:03 PM
2011-08-31 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3668069

User image

Veteran
London, England
firegirlred - 2011-08-31 6:02 PM
byrdnj - 2011-08-31 4:51 PM

The swim is a major issue - were it the summertime, this would be comparatively easier because a few local places have outdoor pools.  There's an indoor pool in the Serena Hotel, but it's $30 per swim - ridiculous!  I'm searching around for other options, but they're not too readily apparent - gonna have to get super creative.

Wetsuit?  It sucks, but it's doable. I've spent quite a bit of time in 50 degree water-diving. And the surface air was even colder.  I've always thought it was easier to be on top of the cold water than underneath it.  I'm sure you can find a few cold water divers that will help you figure out a few tricks to stay warm.  Other than the obvious!

Good thought - just need to check with the outdoor pools to see if they stay open during the winter.  I doubt it, though, since things freeze and snow is not uncommon.

2011-08-31 5:31 PM

As you and others have noted, swim training poses the biggest challenge. How about getting a set of stretchcords (with or without paddles) that you can tie to a heavy stable object to simulate swimming. In her book "Call The Suit", Sheila Taormina strongly advocates this type of training. If you did 2 stretchcord sessions per week plus one in water swim, it would keep the cost down and keep you in swim shape.
2011-08-31 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3668097

User image

Veteran
London, England

jkb - 2011-08-31 6:31 PM As you and others have noted, swim training poses the biggest challenge. How about getting a set of stretchcords (with or without paddles) that you can tie to a heavy stable object to simulate swimming. In her book "Call The Suit", Sheila Taormina strongly advocates this type of training. If you did 2 stretchcord sessions per week plus one in water swim, it would keep the cost down and keep you in swim shape.

thanks - great thought.  I've got some bands, but I'll have to play around with a setup that will accurately simulate the proper motion.  Do you know of any resources that outline this effectively?

2011-08-31 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Draper, Utah
We had a long, cold, and wet winter in Utah while I did the majority of my training for the SGIM. I did a majority of my bike training on a spin bike, (with a couple of exceptions, including an early century (on which I got rained and snowed on the whole time). The spin took a lot of time, including 2 all night spins to simulate the length of the ride.
The runs were harder to do indoors and the longest I ran on the treadmill was 12 miles. I just sucked it up and ran outside, no matter what the weather was. I'd say that if you're going to use a treaddy for all of your training make sure you're varying the elevation, so you're not just running flat. (Also, podcasts will keep you sane!)
Swimming was all indoors too. That seems more normal. Good luck! b

2011-08-31 6:28 PM

User image

Elite
I am training for an IM next year so I can't say from experience but I would say it is doable but I would dread those long runs and trainer rides .... Swimming would be the hardest. Good luck ,,,,, maybe NBC would get u spots in kona?
2011-08-31 9:02 PM

User image

New user
Mental toughness. I trained for my first marathon on a treadmill because it was spring and I live in the Clevelend area and the weather sucks. No doubt you can do it.
2011-08-31 9:08 PM

User image

Los Angeles
byrdnj - 2011-08-31 1:16 PM

So I was supposed to do IMKY this year, and I was rocking my training.  But all of a sudden I got a new job - dream job really - and had to move to Afghanistan for a few years.  It was quickly obvious to me here that with starting the job and adapting to the security environment, there was no way to finish my training and race.

Afghanistan isn't safe?  There are tens of thousands armed US soldiers there, how could it be any safer?

2011-08-31 9:23 PM
in reply to: #3668061

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
byrdnj - 2011-08-31 5:52 PM
Iowaman - 2011-08-31 4:53 PM

Any idea what the show was called?  Would love to take a look.

It was the NBC Kona coverage from a couple of years ago.  I think 2008, but I'm not certain of that.

2011-09-01 3:27 AM
in reply to: #3668147

User image

Veteran
London, England

pbarlowtri - 2011-08-31 7:21 PM We had a long, cold, and wet winter in Utah while I did the majority of my training for the SGIM. I did a majority of my bike training on a spin bike, (with a couple of exceptions, including an early century (on which I got rained and snowed on the whole time). The spin took a lot of time, including 2 all night spins to simulate the length of the ride. The runs were harder to do indoors and the longest I ran on the treadmill was 12 miles. I just sucked it up and ran outside, no matter what the weather was. I'd say that if you're going to use a treaddy for all of your training make sure you're varying the elevation, so you're not just running flat. (Also, podcasts will keep you sane!) Swimming was all indoors too. That seems more normal. Good luck! b

Thanks for the recount of your experiences with this - very helpful.  2 all-night spins - wow, that sounds crazy tough mentally.  I don't think I'll have a problem doing 2+ hours on the treadmill - done that before, and I actually kind of enjoy it.  The spins, however, are things that nightmares are made of.  I like the podcast idea - will have to start building a library right away.  I think what others have said meshes with this well - that it's really just going to be a question of mental toughness.

The swim is still a mystery - I'm going to start checking out some pool options today, but Kabul has notoriously few pools (at least pools that have water in them).  I'm looking into long-term band exercise, though, to compensate - anybody every work with bands as a swim REPLACEMENT in training?

2011-09-01 4:43 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Hey man,

I'm in Iraq. I shipped my bike and trainer out here and, at first, rode the heck out of them. Now, I'm in a location that has roads that I can ride on. Yeah, they're small loops on the base, but it better than a trainer...Running is not so much an issue. THis place even has a pool! No wonder the marines call this place Camp Cupcake!

Anyways, if you're around service members, there will be gyms. You should be able to find one and use the treadmill. Those gyms usually have spin bikes, too, although not all do. Ship your trainer and bike out there and have at it.

As for the pool...that's a hard one. For the first 7 months of this deployment, I concentrated on core work due to lack of swimming facilities. The base I'm at now has a pool. I felt fine in the water, after a few swims.

One of my friends trained for Vineman out here with me. He did alot of corework, as well. When he went home on R&R, he only had one week to swim in a pool before he raced. He told me the same thing...the corework helped ALOT. He swam a 1:10, I think, and finished at 9:34, or so.

It can be done. It won't be easy. That's Ironman.

2011-09-01 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3668563

User image

Veteran
London, England
d00d - 2011-09-01 5:43 AM

Hey man,

I'm in Iraq. I shipped my bike and trainer out here and, at first, rode the heck out of them. Now, I'm in a location that has roads that I can ride on. Yeah, they're small loops on the base, but it better than a trainer...Running is not so much an issue. THis place even has a pool! No wonder the marines call this place Camp Cupcake!

Anyways, if you're around service members, there will be gyms. You should be able to find one and use the treadmill. Those gyms usually have spin bikes, too, although not all do. Ship your trainer and bike out there and have at it.

As for the pool...that's a hard one. For the first 7 months of this deployment, I concentrated on core work due to lack of swimming facilities. The base I'm at now has a pool. I felt fine in the water, after a few swims.

One of my friends trained for Vineman out here with me. He did alot of corework, as well. When he went home on R&R, he only had one week to swim in a pool before he raced. He told me the same thing...the corework helped ALOT. He swam a 1:10, I think, and finished at 9:34, or so.

It can be done. It won't be easy. That's Ironman.

That's awesome man - I'm glad to hear that someone else made it work under similar circumstances, even if it was on Camp Cupcake!  I've got a spin bike and a treadmill, so that won't be a problem.  I may see about connecting with some ISAF folks about a pool - so helpful, though, to know that core workouts will allow me to adapt to the swimming much better in a very short amount of time.

Through this forum and in talking to some friends, it's become clear that the bike and run will just be a head game - I have the equipment to make it work, but it's going to be about not going insane while sitting on them in a pent-up environment for hours on end.  My major roadblock now is the swim, and what you're saying gets me a lot closer to where I need to be.

I'll have some vacation time to use - maybe I'll take a few long weekends in Dubai to do some real swimming, biking and running outside and in the heat.  I used to go to this awesome Ironstrength workout that killed my core when I lived in NYC - it was all cardio-based strength work, as well, so if I can mimic that a few times a week along with some solid ab-killing stuff, I think I may just be able to make this work...or at least find out if I'm tough enough.

Thanks for your post, Mark - very big help.

2011-09-01 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3668563

User image

Veteran

I would love to hear about your Core workout - exercises, reps, set. 

2011-09-01 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3668843

User image

Veteran
London, England
cialome - 2011-09-01 10:40 AM

I would love to hear about your Core workout - exercises, reps, set. 

Sure thing.  The first three pairs of exercises are done in succession - one set first exercise, one set second, both in rapid succession with no breaks until you have done 5 sets of each.  The last two exercises are performed on their own.

SET 1: Repeat in rapid succession without breaks - 5 sets

Standing military press (dumbells of 10-15 lbs each) - done quickly, alternate arms, 15 reps each arm
Jumping lunges
 (can use dumbells if you wish) - jump high, land in lunge position with one leg forward, back leg knee almost touching the ground, 30 lunges (right foot forward 15 times)

3-5 minute break

SET 2: Repeat in rapid succession without breaks - 5 sets

Pushup rows (dumbells of 10-15 lbs each) - pushup position with hands on dumbells, pull the dumbells one-by-one up to your body, alternating, 15 reps each arm
Leg Lifts (no dumbells) - lay flat on your back, bring your legs up (keeping them straight) to a 90 degree angle, drop them back almost to the floor, stopping them before they touch the ground, and repeat - 15-20 reps

3-5 minute break

SET 3: Repeat in rapid succession without breaks - 5 sets

Pushups (no dumbells) - do as many as you can repeat for 5 sets
V-ups (no dumbells) - arms always above your head, 15-20 reps

FINAL ROUND:

Ab planks - 1 minute left side, 10 second break, 1 minute straight, 10 second break, 1 minute right side

2 minute break

Burpees - start flat on the floor, pushup, pull your legs in and jump in the air, back down.  Count down from 10 with 15-30 seconds between sets (set of 10, then set of 9, then set of 8, etc...)

Enjoy!  It's really hard the first time, but it definitely makes you stronger - you'll see by the 3-4 time that it becomes much easier (the first one, though, will be crazy hard and make you not want to do it again...press on)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training indoors for iron distance Rss Feed  

of 2