General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM and priformis syndrome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-03 8:29 AM

Subject: IM and priformis syndrome
So the last 2 weeks I have had progressive back and leg pain and went to the MD yesterday where I was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome. I have had my share of herniated disks, joint pain from OA, spinal stenosis etc and have dealt well with all those is the past. But this really feels like a herniation as I have referred pain to the outside of my leg and I am having postural changes to accomodate for the pain.
I ran 1 hour Wed with pain the first 15 min the felt good which a disc really wouldn't do.No problems on the bike for 60 min as well. It really flared over the last 2 days so I haven't done anything but stretch and bob around in the pool. Really having a hard time getting out of bed-excrutiating.
I am freaking out with this since I am 8 weeks away from B2B and now am forced to have an unscheduled recovery weekend. The MD didn't think I had a herniation since I have a negative straight leg raise. He gave me 6 days of prednisone which I started today. I was supposed to run 3 hours today but will try for only one.
So I stretch, use foam roller and regularly go to a MT. I also kinesiotape it.
I have completed 1 century already, ran a couple times of 2:30 and longer and swam 3500+ yds several times.
Should I worry if I have to cut back for a couple weeks? I am really concerned right now and would appreciate any a additional guidance to get through these last 8 weeks to "just finish" this race!
Thanks in advance!

2011-09-03 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3671766

Veteran
Subject: RE: IM and priformis syndrome
I had problems with this before. An exercise called Clams helped a lot. Hurt but helped.  Hard to describe but you can look it up.
2011-09-04 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I can't speak to that particular injury, but if you can't get to the start line uninjured, you can't finish. So maybe give serious consideration to taking the recovery time now.

And then you have to make a decision about what kind of race you want to have at B2B.  How slow and/or miserable are you willing to be just to finish?

The folks at Setup are great. You might email them to see if you can get a deferral, or switch to the half, or just do the full aquabike.

Best wishes figuring this out.

2011-09-04 8:45 PM

I really don't want to give up already! I would like some possible suggestions to get through this. I did B2B in 2009 and 5 days before the race I came down with horrible quad tendonitis and barely could walk up steps. I had to walk the marathon but I fisnished. Wasn't pretty and it wasn't how I wished it to be but nothing much is.
Got through a 3 hour ride today with fair results.
Give me some hope, guys!
2011-09-05 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3673075

User image

Extreme Veteran

OK, so you've made the decision that you're willing to be slow and miserable to finish. I understand that and have done that--one year spent 3:15 in freezing rain finishing a half mary because I needed to prove something (and I won't ever go down that road again). But if it were me, here are the things I would do at this point:

1) Get to a sports doc/PT (preferably one with endurance experience) ASAP. Get a good functional assessment done and prioritize daily PT (both office and home) exercises to strengthen whatever weak link you've got in your kinetic chain.

2) Get a bike fit check ASAP, preferably by the above PT if they have the experience. There could be something about saddle height, drop etc. that is aggravating whatever the injury is, and there may be some re-positioning that could help make you more comfortable on the bike given the current pain.

3) Start training now the way the race will have to be done. That probably means getting off the bike to stretch every 15-20 miles or so, and run-walking the marathon.

4) Take a light, recovery week or two. If your goal is to grind out the distance, never mind the speed, that may help more than anything.

But take all of this with a grain of salt. This is what has worked for me, but it may not fit for you.

2011-09-05 5:56 PM
in reply to: #3673272

Thanks so the feedback. Riding my bike actually feels fine but I regularly stretch anyway. I had planned to run/walk the marathon and due to my spinal stenosis, I need to stretch every 30-45 min.
I don't want to be miserable but am fully expecting to have a fair amount of discomfort. In '09, I had plate size blisters on each planter surface of my feet from 10 miles on.
I thank you for the suggestions and will put all to good use.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM and priformis syndrome Rss Feed