General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Ironman to Ultra? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-03 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: From Ironman to Ultra?

I know this is very individual, but I'm wondering if in general your IM endurance level stays with you for awhile after the race, thus being able to fall right into Ultra training; or does it tear you up too much to take on another distance race too soon afterward?

I'm doing my first IM on Nov 5 and want to follow it up with an Ultra, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the best timing.  My only distance running experience thus far is one marathon and one 50K.  I'm hoping to plan a 50mile or maybe 100K.  But unfortunately, the 100K in mid-January. I need something to look forward to after IMFL...

2011-09-04 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3672377

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: RE: From Ironman to Ultra?

As far as your endurance level, I dont think that would be any problem maintaining that level.  I think how hard you train and race your IM will determine how much you need to recover.  I did a Half IM 2 weeks after my IM and it was a breeze ... relatively speaking compared to the IM lol.  But I'm a MOP to BOP racer. 

IMO a 50 mile run is harder than an IM, even though you're probably out there for less time.  You say "unfortunately the 100k is in mid January". Are you wanting something earlier than that?  I think you would need a bit more time to be ready for a 100k, unless you are already doing some 30 mile training runs. 

There are a number of spring 50 & 100 milers around in the spring that you could set for a post IM goal.

Good luck with your IM!!!  

2011-09-04 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3672538

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
glf33 - 2011-09-04 9:28 AM

As far as your endurance level, I dont think that would be any problem maintaining that level.  I think how hard you train and race your IM will determine how much you need to recover.  I did a Half IM 2 weeks after my IM and it was a breeze ... relatively speaking compared to the IM lol.  But I'm a MOP to BOP racer. 

IMO a 50 mile run is harder than an IM, even though you're probably out there for less time.  You say "unfortunately the 100k is in mid January". Are you wanting something earlier than that?  I think you would need a bit more time to be ready for a 100k, unless you are already doing some 30 mile training runs. 

There are a number of spring 50 & 100 milers around in the spring that you could set for a post IM goal.

Thanks!

The "unfortunately the 100k is in mid January" was because I'm afraid it's too much, too soon.  The race is really close to home and I've been on the course, so I know it would be fun.  But you are right, there are plenty of them in the spring; March and April.  I'll keep looking.

2011-09-04 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
I think it depends a lot on how strong your run training is going into IMFL and how much you're willing to sacrifice bike training if necessary to get it there. Taking in account 3 weeks post IM to get your long runs back in the 20-30 mile range, that leaves about 3 weeks or so of peak training for the 100k before taper. I think a lot of IM plans are too light on running anyway, but I think you would definitely need to make sure you have a strong run base immediately before (plus taper of course) the IM which will help to quicken the recovery too. I've only done one 100k, but it was 3 weeks after my only 50 miler which might be fairly equivalent situation to yours and it rocked my world. It is probably the race I am most proud of and learned the most about myself in, but also an introduction to a new depth of pain that I can experience and still keep moving forward. Does the race have an option to drop to a 40 miler or something similar if it turns out to be too much? Could you semi-gracefcully accept a DNF on the 100k if it is too much?
2011-09-05 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3672538

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
glf33 - 2011-09-04 9:28 AM

I agree with this.  I trained heavy in the run for my IM (1 week ago) and recovered fairly nicely and quickly. I did a 35 mile training run the week after, although I wasn't fully recovered and it was difficult.  I think it depends on your goals.  My goal(s) are to have fun and just finish this longer stuff. I'm not really looking to win anything :-) I'm a definite MOP.  I mistakenly signed up for a 100 miler 6 weeks after the IM (I thought it was further out).  This is way too close in my opinion but I'm going continue training and give it my best shot.  It's all fun to me :-)

There are a lot of 50/100 milers in the Spring if you think it's too close and/or don't want to risk it. 

2011-09-05 5:32 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Just looking briefly at your logs and your races I would say you would be fine for a 100k in January.

Not sure what type of 100k it is. Hilly or what? That of course matters.

But, you did manage to do your first marathon and 50k race this year. Now your first ironman.

Biggest problem would be getting back into it after your IM. Personally, I think 1 week of light swimming and biking is fine. Then you should be able to concentrate on running and biking, eliminating biking by the begining of December giving you 4-5 solid weeks of running. Think long weekend run of 22-34km and one mid week long run of 18-24km per week.

I lie, biggest problem is holding back on your runnning. Your endurance will be awesome but your run specific fitness will be lacking so you will have to be careful to have a slow buildup. But not too slow. It is tricky. You could start running a bit more now, but I think to merely finish that would be unneccessary.

2011-09-06 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'm still a bit naive, so advice from experienced people is most helpful.  I'm not concerned so much with speed, but a DNF is not an option (too stubborn).  The 100K is not a technical course, mostly just roots to contend with.  But I might just do the new Mountain-to-Sea 50K in April.  It would be the least stressful option. 

I don't want to stress myself out after Florida; I just need something fun to look forward to.  I love running more than anything and will be dropping (or greatly reducing) my biking and swimming for about 6 months so that I can do nothing but run, and run, and run and...

Edited by Maria527 2011-09-06 7:48 AM
2011-09-06 1:41 PM

I think the replies so far are great, but ultimately I think you need to throw your current weekly running mileage at us so that we can properly analyze the situation.
2011-09-07 2:05 PM
in reply to: #3674916

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Dultra - 2011-09-06 2:41 PM I think the replies so far are great, but ultimately I think you need to throw your current weekly running mileage at us so that we can properly analyze the situation.

July was 85 miles and August was 109.5, and of course will continue building over the next 2 months.  I plan to drop swimming and biking after IMFL so I can do nothing but run through winter and spring.

I've pretty much ruled out trying to do an Ultra too soon and will look for something in April.  I want it to be fun, not stressful.  Part of me wants to give up triathlon and just run for a whole year.  Curious how far I could go if I only had one thing to worry about.

2011-09-07 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3676586

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Maria527 - 2011-09-07 3:05 PM

Dultra - 2011-09-06 2:41 PM I think the replies so far are great, but ultimately I think you need to throw your current weekly running mileage at us so that we can properly analyze the situation.

July was 85 miles and August was 109.5, and of course will continue building over the next 2 months.  I plan to drop swimming and biking after IMFL so I can do nothing but run through winter and spring.

I've pretty much ruled out trying to do an Ultra too soon and will look for something in April.  I want it to be fun, not stressful.  Part of me wants to give up triathlon and just run for a whole year.  Curious how far I could go if I only had one thing to worry about.

135 miles and about 8,600 feet UP, if you go for Badwater  :-p
2011-09-07 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3676653

glf33 - 2011-09-07 12:39 PM

135 miles and about 8,600 feet UP, if you go for Badwater  :-p

or a 1000 at Silverton....or even 3000+ at the race on the east coast.

2011-09-07 4:28 PM

Maria527 - 2011-09-07 12:05 PM

Your mileage appears to be a bit low.  I highly suggest slowly working up to the 30-40 mpw range and seeing how you feel.  That being said I am a sure that with your IM base you could show up next week to a 100k and possibly beat the cut offs and stumble on in to the finish if you have the mental strength.  

One of the best sources on here are the multiple links already posted in the Ultra section.  Make sure to check out some of the threads on here that have links to training schedules and see what you see as manageable for you.  I am not sure if there is a "best" training plan out there.  For instance, my goal is to get in 10 hours worth of running a week - this is a ton of time to dedicate with the rest of my life going on.  I really don't care how I get there or what hills I climb or streets I stroll on.  I just keep my 10 hours full of awesome fun.    

I also suggest that you let us know your final decision for your race and we can get you there.  

Finally....Watch Steve's videos if you ever lack inspiration =)

2011-09-08 5:37 AM
in reply to: #3676830

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Dultra - 2011-09-07 5:28 PM

Your mileage appears to be a bit low.  I highly suggest slowly working up to the 30-40 mpw range and seeing how you feel.  That being said I am a sure that with your IM base you could show up next week to a 100k and possibly beat the cut offs and stumble on in to the finish if you have the mental strength.  

One of the best sources on here are the multiple links already posted in the Ultra section.  Make sure to check out some of the threads on here that have links to training schedules and see what you see as manageable for you.  I am not sure if there is a "best" training plan out there.  For instance, my goal is to get in 10 hours worth of running a week - this is a ton of time to dedicate with the rest of my life going on.  I really don't care how I get there or what hills I climb or streets I stroll on.  I just keep my 10 hours full of awesome fun.    

I also suggest that you let us know your final decision for your race and we can get you there.  

Finally....Watch Steve's videos if you ever lack inspiration =)

Will do!  I'll be more focused once I don't have swimming and biking to juggle.  Suffering on the bike just makes my lower lip hang out in a pout, swimming is okay if only I were better at it, but running makes me grin and giggle the whole way!

2011-09-08 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3677315

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Maria527 - 2011-09-08 6:37 AM
Dultra - 2011-09-07 5:28 PM

Will do!  I'll be more focused once I don't have swimming and biking to juggle.  Suffering on the bike just makes my lower lip hang out in a pout, swimming is okay if only I were better at it, but running makes me grin and giggle the whole way!

Based on THAT comment you may need mental help  :-p 

Best of luck with whatever you do and especially with the upcoming IM!!!!!
2011-09-14 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I've just made a similar transition, and I think this^ is wise. I did my first IM 7 weeks ago and am registered for a three day 50k-50mi-half marathon race 2.5 weeks from now for which I am woefully underprepared. I don't think the run build or the recovery from the IM was the problem. I was at 50 miles/week at peak IM training, and my legs seemed pretty fully recovered two weeks post race. However, my motivation has drifted. I assign this to several causes, but I think the main thing is that pursuits that got put on the backburner during IM training have received more attention post-race. This has been net-positive for me, as I've transferred the time management and discipline skills gained from IM training to other pursuits. But I'm much more likely to skip a workout now in order to, for example, get one more task at work done before going home. I also had a yellow jacket run-in that sidelined me for over a week. I also think it's just hard to have such a huge emotional build up to an event and then get right back into a similar build for another event. It seems others handle this better than I do... perhaps I'm just a one-peak-per-year guy.

In any case, I share your interests and think you're thinking about this in a good way. Good luck with the IM and whatever you end up pursuing after that.

2011-09-16 5:29 PM

Im running Javalina Jundred 100 miler 3 weeks after Great floridian Iron distance with no over-distance or trail running leading up to the ironman. Guess you can see what happens to me then decide ;-

2011-09-19 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

Michael - What is the name of your race and when exactly is it.  I'd like to check back in on you after to see how it went!

UltraIronJen - OMG!  Need to check back in on you too! 

I'm pretty much decided on my usual mid-December half mary, and then the Bull Run Run 50 miler on April 14.  Those should fit in perfectly behind IMFL with no rush to prepare and give me something to look forward to.

2011-09-19 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3692049

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maria527 - 2011-09-19 11:46 AM

Michael - What is the name of your race and when exactly is it.  I'd like to check back in on you after to see how it went!

I'm pretty much decided on my usual mid-December half mary, and then the Bull Run Run 50 miler on April 14.  Those should fit in perfectly behind IMFL with no rush to prepare and give me something to look forward to.

We seem to be on similar wavelengths. After the ultra, I'm planning to focus on a HM in January that I did last year, maybe try to qualify for the NYC Marathon.

The three day race is the West Virginia Trilogy. I'm feeling a little more optimistic after getting 7 hours on my feet this weekend and still being able to walk today, but it's still a huge stretch. I keep thinking that I'm going to try to run a massively hilly marathon, having just run a massively hilly marathon, the day after having run a massively hilly marathon. Fear is a strong motivator!

2011-09-19 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3692049

User image

Expert
Northern VA

I did BRR a few years ago and am planning on doing it again next spring to prep for a 100-miler.  Its a great race, well supported and best of all, in my backyard   

2011-09-20 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3692882

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
glf33 - 2011-09-19 9:28 PM

I did BRR a few years ago and am planning on doing it again next spring to prep for a 100-miler.  Its a great race, well supported and best of all, in my backyard   

Nice!  What year was it and how long did it take? 

I cannot even wrap my brain around doing 100 miles simply because of the sleep deprivation.  I should look at some race results to see how long a MOPer would take to complete one (depending on difficulty level).  The nearest one to me (I think) it the Grindstone 100 in VA.

ROFL!  I should NOT have looked.  Out of 15 registered females, there were 2 DNS, 6 DNF, and 7 finishers.  The middle person finished in 29:40. One of them has the first name "William" so that one is likely mis-categorized.

Well, anything is possible... one step at a time.

2011-09-20 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3693470

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Maria527 - 2011-09-20 12:35 PM
glf33 - 2011-09-19 9:28 PM

Nice!  What year was it and how long did it take? 

I cannot even wrap my brain around doing 100 miles simply because of the sleep deprivation.  I should look at some race results to see how long a MOPer would take to complete one (depending on difficulty level).  The nearest one to me (I think) it the Grindstone 100 in VA.

ROFL!  I should NOT have looked.  Out of 15 registered females, there were 2 DNS, 6 DNF, and 7 finishers.  The middle person finished in 29:40. One of them has the first name "William" so that one is likely mis-categorized.

Well, anything is possible... one step at a time.

I think I did it in 2006.  And I barely finished under the cut-off - by 12 minutes I think.  But I didnt care - you get a cool finisher's fleece  

That's my problem also with a 100 miler. Just trying to comprehend the distance. I know people do it but ...    

I was training for the FL Keys 100 miler 2 years ago and did a 40 mile training run, I was about to "die" or felt like it. It was point to point, with my daughter picking me up and I jokingly said "THANKS for picking me up cuz I could never have run back home".  She says, well all you have to do is run what you JUST ran PLUS another 20 miles and you'll have the 100.   Ugggghhhhh  lol.  
Unfortunately (maybe fortunately lol) I got sick a month before the race and just didnt feel like I was trained to even come close to attempting it.  

But I think as with a lot of things, its what you build up to and get your body used to. (Yes, I'm Mr. Obvious  Tongue out)

I think Grindstone is a very difficult 100 miler, isnt it?  Regardless of which one I do, I think I'm going to be looking at coming in close to the cut-off.

2011-09-27 3:08 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

I did my first 50 miler last october and was hooked.  decided to sign up right away again for this coming October.  only "problem" was a pesky little event on september 11th with the name of Ironman Wisconsin.  decided to taper down on the bike and swim beginning some two weeks out and increase run mileage, although at a slower pace.  this worked out well for me as i still PR'd the ironman and was able to get back into running 20+ the following weekend (although the two runs i did during the week after ironman SUCKED!!!)

MY opinion would be that if you are mentally prepped for the change over and can accept that the first few runs post ironman will be ouchers, then you can do it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » From Ironman to Ultra? Rss Feed