World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 29m 45s
Overall Rank = 814/2534
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 141/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45, cleaned up, dressed, ate meal. Sausage biscuit, yogurt, banana, water, IM Perform. Got to TA at 5:45, set up nutrition on bike and in TA bags. Walk .75 mi to swim start.
Event warmup:

Wait in line for swim start from 6:20 until start moving at 7:10. Great talking with others that have done IM's about what to expect as well as help clear mind of the day ahead. Last minute restroom with 3 minutes to start line
Swim
  • 1h 13m 52s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Glasses were teared up at beginning of swim from my emotioins of the end of this long trip. I hit the water well and started swimming smoothly. That only lasted about 100 yards until I ran into someone and someone swam over me. It took about 3-400 more yards to start swimming normal, feeling confident about being in the water with all of these athletes.
Made 1 nav error going out too far intl the river after the turnaround. Definitly added some time and distance to my swim. I found myself very seperated from the rest of the group. Quickly worked my way into the main stream again and was swimming strongly and confidently. I felt like I was taking long strokes and really gliding along. Very excited when i climbed the stairs to get out. Did not notice a clock or even try to figure how long I was in the water. Since I did not have a watch on I did not recognize that I went so much faster than planned, but I felt great, now onto the bike...
Transition 1
  • 08m 45s
Comments:

Knowing it was a long day I took my time. Dried my legs/feet. Ate a banana, small box of cereal, cup of water. Crammed planned food into my tri jersey. Got sunscreed up, headed out to find bike.
Bike
  • 6h 34m 9s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Headed out a steady 18+ mph pace ont he flat portion before the hills began. Made sure to work at a steady pace entire way,did not go too hard to try to keep up a faster than comfortable pace. From mile 20-40 rode with Dominic. I would pass him going up the hills, he would pass me on the flats. Got seperated when he stopped to fill water bottles at an aid station. 1st loop was pretty fast. 2nd loop much slower. On the 30 mile home stretch I started pushing the pace a bit to make up some time, but forced myself to pull pack, drink, relax. the fun part was coming - don't burn out legs for the run. Saw a few people getting medical attention after crashes and many on side of road with mechanical problems. I felt badly for each one of them, felt so lucky to have no problems at all.
Transition 2
  • 11m 28s
Comments:

Probably took more time here than I wanted to. Ate a pack of Pringles, cup of soda, + water. Took my time getting dry socks on, drying my legs/arms, more sunscreen, little bit of stretching the legs.
Had some fun with fans on the chute out of the TA, waving, etc to them
Run
  • 4h 21m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt very good at the start. It was fantastic to see the family and some friends at mile .5. Had a quick hello with jacki, Liza ran with me for 25 yards or so. Kept up a pace of just under 9 mins per mile for first 4 miles or so. As planned and trained for, i walked through each aid station getting the drink and food i wanted while walking. This broke the race into 26 1 mile segments with nutrition after each one. Took icy sponges to wash face, squeeze on head or neck, and cram into my jersey on my shoulders. Eating something different at each aid station was helpful.
Passed Dom at mile 8, Robert at mile 13. Saw the family again at mile 14.5. The excitement from the finish line and seeing the family again really pumped me up. Dave and KC passed by a few times on their bikes. Talking to them was really helpful. After a pee break at mile 18 DOm caught up to me near the final turnaround. I felt strong enough to continue my pace, but decided to stay with him and run the rest of the way in. We were a bit slower than my plan, but I was feeling strong and healthy as well as enjoying the companionship of finishing off the course with my training partner. We ended up running very strong with Dom picking up his pace for the last 2 miles significantly. I could not stop smiling for the final 1.5 miles - so much so that fans were comenting on my smiling face so far into the race. This only pumped me up more.
Finish area was amazing. I could feel the energy from 1/2 mile away. Saw Jacki and the family 50 feet from the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

walked 2 blocks to the KICC. stretched a bit, ate pizza and coke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pulled myself back to make sure I finished and felt good. Could I have gone faster? Yes. Probably left some time onthe bike course by not pushing the pace more. Left a bit of time on the run, but staying with Dom was worth it.

Event comments:

Volunteers were amazing. So many of them all cheering us on, helpful whenever I spoke to someone or stopped somewhere. They really helped make the race more comfortable than travelling 140.6 mies should be.

Last updated: 2011-01-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:52 | 4224 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 143/
Overall: 946/2534
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts + top
Course: Ohio River - .7 mi upstream, 1.4 mi downstream
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:34:09 | 112 miles | 17.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 217/
Overall: 1285/2534
Average HR - 142, High - 170
Wind: Some
Course: Many rolling hills. After 16 miles heading out, a fun 4.5 mile out and back with a large downhill on each way, which means large uphill going each way as well. Then continue going away from TA to a 30 mile loop that is done twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 11:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:21:31 | 26.2 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 141/
Overall: 814/2534
Avg HR - 142, High - 157
Course: Flat course with 2 out and back loops. Went past the finish line at mile 14.5.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-04 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-09-04 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3672488

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

AWESOME!!! Congratulations Ironman!!!

Seemed like a well executed race ;-)

2011-09-12 9:00 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Great job Ironman!  I am very happy for you!
2011-10-08 6:58 PM

User image

Regular
Holland, Mich.
Wow, what an incredible run!  Very impressive, and congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed