Dallas Athletes Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 40s
Overall Rank = 156/236
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/17
Pre-race routine:

Carb/Pro shake to hydrate right after waking up at 5:00am. Tried to eat a sweet potato but it just wasn't tasting very good, I think due to my nerves with this being my first Triathlon.
Event warmup:

Some stretches, not much.
Swim
  • 04m 41s
  • 250 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was great for me. I passed the two people that went in front of me within the first 3 lanes. I felt very strong, smooth, and consistent throughout the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing for this one. I need to practice flip turns for my next pool swim Tri, I think this will be the biggest positive impact on my swim time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Forgot to put my helmet and glasses on and was down my rack with my bike when a volunteer yelled "helmet" at me. Luckily I was only about 10 feet away from my gear and was able to get both and put them on quickly. This probably cost 10-15 seconds. Everything else was good.

Don't forget your helmet!
Bike
  • 40m 9s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was pretty decent. The biggest thing that got in the way for me was that I broke the cardinal rule of "don't try anything new on race day"! I had the brilliant idea that I would use gatorade in my bottle for the bike for the extra calories/electrolytes/etc. Bad idea! I was not used to this and it felt thick and syrupy, completely unlike water. I ended up drinking less than I wanted to because of this and it started to upset my stomach a little. I was able to work through it without much issue, but I definitely will settle for water next time. Can't say there is any need for sports drink on a 12 mile ride anyway. I passed several people on the bike and only got passed once, I felt good about the bike overall - just need to continue training hard here.

Don't do anything on race day that you haven't done training!
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

T2 went well. Got my bike shoes off and running shoes on very efficiently. Grabbed my hat and race belt and ran out of the transition area putting them on as I ran. Not much to improve here for the method I used.

All was well as I did it. For future tri's I need to work on leaving shoes clipped in. I had not practiced this at all, however, so I did not attempt. Way to take my own advice!
Run
  • 28m 34s
  • 2.7 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

My run was slow, but it is hard to complain. I'm having issues with my right knee due to ITBS, so my plan going in was to walk/run it. I ended up coming out of T2 right behind a guy with one knee completely braced and the other one with a band around it. He was jogging solid 11:00/min miles very steady and consistent. We must have passed each other 4 or 5 times as I would run past him and then he would go past me when I would walk. I could have put a lot more into this run, but it would have only caused more pain that I have to work through in the 6 weeks before my next race. Overall I am very happy with my run based on my current condition. I could feel that my knee was improving and a week of no running is going to do wonders. Next time I'm going to kill it!

Show up healthy
Post race
Warm down:

Hugging the wife!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

gatorade instead of water on the bike, knee issues on the run.

Event comments:

Although this was my first triathlon, I can definitely say it was well run. Tom Ryan from Dallas Athletes was there dishing out plenty of encouragement, thanks, and advice. All of the volunteers were great. This is definitely an event that I would do again!

Last updated: 2011-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:41 | 250 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/17
Overall: 87/236
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 250 yard pool swim, 10 lane snake.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: