Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tablets other than Ipad. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-06 10:27 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Subject: Tablets other than Ipad.

Does anyone have a tablet other than an I-pad?  My wife's Kindle broke on a recent trip.  The screen is all wonky.  I'm thinking of bumping her up to a nook color, or a samsung galaxy.  (She enjoy's some apps on her I-pod touch)..

Any recommendations or Pros/cons ?

2011-09-06 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3674532

User image

Subject: RE: Tablets other than Ipad.
I've been playing with the idea of buying one for some months now. Finally just for grins and giggles got one of the Chinese 7" tablets. Now that's neat, uses all the android apps, and was less than $100 so if I run over it in the car I'm not THAT upset.

2011-09-06 11:22 AM

Master
Houston, TX
the Tablet that HP is discontinuing (maybe not) is $99.  Touchpad I think is what it's called.  tehy are hard to get but call best buy and walmart and they might be able to tell you when they will have them in stock again.  I don't have one and can't testify to it's operation.  we bought an iPad instead.  It has changed our lives......... 
2011-09-06 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I have a Chinese Android tablet (Herotab MID816) and have had it since February. I wanted to get a cheap tablet to see if I would actually use it before I decided if I wanted a more expensive tablet. The total cost was just under $250 and you can get the same tablet with more memory for less; currently it lists for $189.

I am very happy with this tablet and although there have been a few issues there is a good community that is working with this tablet and has it running Gingerbread (2.3) and it will boot with Honeycomb (3.0).

I decided to get one as my primary computer use was internet use and I wanted something very portable for bike commuting. Currently I'm planning to upgrade to a Playbook since I already have a BB and it will allow me to use my phone's data instead of being tied to wifi as I am with my current tablet.

I also have a Kindle and much prefer to read on that although I have read a few books on the tablet and it wasn't as bad as I feared.

Shane
2011-09-06 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Amazon is going to be releasing a new Kindle that runs Android which looks promising. Target date is the end of November. If you can wait it might be worthwhile.
2011-09-06 12:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-09-06 1:10 PM

Elite
Minnetonka

Excellent info..

I called Amazon today about the broken Kindle and they are sending me a new one in two days.  Very hassle free (The current one is less than a year old).

I like the sounds of the XOOM.  With a birthday coming up, I just might treat myself to one... (With my wife's money of course)...

2011-09-06 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3674816

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd

AcesFull - 2011-09-06 1:58 PM One question I'll toss out is do you have an android phone?  If so, your apps (most of which are free) will transfer to an android tablet seamlessly, and almost without exception run well, as if natively written for the tablet. 

I have a XOOM, and am happy with it, but the new Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a bit lighter and the design (a slightly larger bezel) makes it much easier to hold and makes it feel far lighter than the XOOM. 

What I have found is that my laptop spends most of its time in a drawer, and I use my XOOM for most other applications, including Kindle, web surfing, Netflix, email, light document editing and, of course Words with Friends and Angry Birds. 

The wife and I also watch movies (downloaded or on Netflix) together by plugging an HDMI cable into the XOOM and piping the signal to the TV.

To Marmadaddy:  The latest word on teh interwebs is that the new Kindle tabley may be more Nook than Xoom.  That having been said, the Nook has been hacked to death, and it is VERY simple to turn it into a full-fledged android tablet. 

I have a color Nook. I'll have to look into the Android hack.

2011-09-06 9:49 PM

Seattle, WA

I have a NookColor that I rooted to run Android. This was before the last update that allows the NookColor to run apps natively. I love, love, love my notNook, as I've taken to calling it.

I've taken it on several trips for professional conferences in place of my laptop and it's never let me down for note-taking, web surfing, email and live-Tweeting during conference sessions. My favorite part about it is my ability to use the Kindle for Android app on it while maintaining all of the original functions of the Nook. I get to choose books from either Amazon or B&N (as well as my public library) and have access to all of them on one device.

If I could get my hands on an HP TouchPad, I would happily add it to the gadget-fest that is my life. I've also come very close to buying an iPad on several occasions, but I'll be given one of those when I start my new job next week, so now I'm glad I held off for so long. (Sometimes procrastination pays off.)

2011-09-07 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3675585

Elite
Minnetonka
Joolz - 2011-09-06 9:49 PM

I have a NookColor that I rooted to run Android. This was before the last update that allows the NookColor to run apps natively. I love, love, love my notNook, as I've taken to calling it.

I've taken it on several trips for professional conferences in place of my laptop and it's never let me down for note-taking, web surfing, email and live-Tweeting during conference sessions. My favorite part about it is my ability to use the Kindle for Android app on it while maintaining all of the original functions of the Nook. I get to choose books from either Amazon or B&N (as well as my public library) and have access to all of them on one device.

If I could get my hands on an HP TouchPad, I would happily add it to the gadget-fest that is my life. I've also come very close to buying an iPad on several occasions, but I'll be given one of those when I start my new job next week, so now I'm glad I held off for so long. (Sometimes procrastination pays off.)

So would you recommend the Nook Color, or the HP TouchPad ? 

2011-09-07 11:54 PM

Seattle, WA

If what you really want is a tablet, I'd probably lean toward the HP TouchPad if you can get one since that's what it was designed to be...and the price is pretty unbeatable.

If you like playing with gadgets (and/or the e-book reader functions are most important to you), then the NookColor is really pretty great. The screen isn't quite as sensitive as most tablets, so it can occasionally seem finicky, but I still love mine. Like I said, I can't comment on the latest version that allows apps to be installed, but my rooted device is one of my favorite pieces of personal technology and I use it every day.

2011-09-08 5:56 AM
in reply to: #3676864

SoberTriGuy - 2011-09-07 6:07 PM

So would you recommend the Nook Color, or the HP TouchPad ? 

I've got a cheapie android tablet and an HP Touchpad. I honestly like the heck out of the HP. Unfortunately the android has more apps available and will be supported long after WebOS (HP) has been totally abandoned.

For hardware and features the HP wins hands down
For apps, support and future-proofness the android wins.

Now there's rumor that there will be a honeycomb (android distribution) port to the HP. That will change the whole equation.

2011-09-08 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3675585

Payson, AZ
Joolz - 2011-09-06 7:49 PM

They are going to produce one more round of the TouchPad to clear the stock that the suppliers have.  No idea how many that means will be produced but you basically have one more shot at getting one.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tablets other than Ipad. Rss Feed