General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stabbing foot pain mid-arch and only periodically Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-10 8:43 PM

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
Subject: Stabbing foot pain mid-arch and only periodically

I have tried to research this as much as possible and I am almost positive it is not plantar fascitis.

I will be running along just fine and then I will get a very sharp stabbing pain in the middle of my arch, closer to the inner side on the bottom of my foot. It only happens occasionally and it is only on my left foot. It happens most often when I am 3+ miles into a run and when I am turning to the right so that my left is pushing off more than my right but can also happen when running straight. I will limp/hop on my right for a few strides and then I am able to keep going on the left as long as I put less weight on it and roll my foot more to the outside throughout the rest of my run.

It is not a constant issue, sometimes I can go 5 or more runs with no problems, but when it does pop up it pretty much ruins whatever running I am doing.

I am a pronator and all my running the past 5 years has been in some nike structure triax's. It has happened in a pair of asics and other shoes before that. I don't use any orthotics or special insoles, just what comes in the shoes.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have an idea what is going on? Do I need to get insoles or orthotics?

Edited by red66stang 2011-09-10 8:44 PM

2011-09-11 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3680624

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Stabbing foot pain mid-arch and only periodically
Does the pain shoot back towards the ankle?

Could be posterior tibial tendonitis. RICE it.
2011-09-11 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3681263

Regular
Fort Rucker, Alabama
it just stays right in the middle of my arch.
2011-09-28 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3681367

Veteran
indian land, South Carolina

The symptoms you described are similar to those I experienced a couple of years ago when I was training for my first marathon.  In my case, it turned out to be a neuroma that I ultimately needed to have surgically removed.

This site may help:

http://www.apma.org/MainMenu/Foot-Health/Foot-Health-Brochures-category/Learn-About-Your-Feet/Neuromas.aspx

2011-09-28 10:55 PM
in reply to: #3680624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

It isn't possible to say for sure but it could be a "march fracture" especially if you're training hard for a long time. Or a "morton's neuroma" if it is not plantar fascitis or heel spur - your description doesn't sound like any of these with the possible exception of the neuroma.  Because it is so unpredictable it is hard to imagine what it would be.

If you see a podiatrist he'll for sure try and fit you with an orthotic - not cheap.  If you can find someone selling superfeet shoe inserts try that first but do get your feet checked at least by your MD and ask other runners locally about whom is good with feet issues.

Good luck. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stabbing foot pain mid-arch and only periodically Rss Feed