Total Time = 1h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

1/2 bagel w/ cream cheese and 1/2 english muffin w/peanut butter
cup of coffee - NOT Dunkins :(
Event warmup:

Went for 15 minute ride down Rte 8. Discovered that my right calf was a little tweaked (from running) so I cut my 20 min warm up short to go back to the car for my compression sleeve. Had 3 minutes after all that to get to the start line
Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 8.9 miles
  • 7.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Right at the start the grade went up to 14% then increased to 17%. This was the first 0.6 mile. I just took this easy. Some people went really hard up this section and could never really recover properly. Then the grade eased off a bit. Dropped my chain at about mile 1 but quickly got it back on. The first 2 miles wound thru neighborhoods and had rollers. LOVE those downhills! Got into the park proper and continued up, up, up. The route ascends and cuts across Mt. WIlliams then goes over to Mt. Fitch. Then from Fitch over to Mt. Greylock it actually flattens out. Time to really dig in and power thru to the next ascent! Views up there were amazing! All in all I am happy with my performance. I was passed by a total of 20 people - 2 women 18 men. I pushed so hard at the end that I kinda had tunnel vision. I never saw the big blue banners signifying the end. I just kept riding. I saw Michael and said "where's the finish?" You already passed it!...Doh!
What would you do differently?:

I had decided to do this race only 2 weeks prior so I didn't train on hills as much as I would have liked.
Post race
Warm down:

My bike and I had become one during this race and the seperation had to be done in stages. First i sagged over the bike then I got off but I had to lean on the bike to walk, finally relinquishing the bike to Michael.

Walked around the summit, drinking water and eating bananas and oranges

What limited your ability to perform faster:

strength in the quads and hams. Just need to keep riding these hills!

Event comments:

Definitely will come back and do this one again. This time with Michael!
Although it is a full 24 hours after the race and I still don't see the results up yet. My time is from my garmin - which is now lost :(

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-09-01 12:00 AM
Biking
01:10:00 | 08.9 miles | 7.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Max HR was 173
Wind: Little
Course: The course begins just off Rt 8 in N. Adams on Furnace St, then hangs a quick left onto Reservoir Rd, which is perhaps the steepest part of the whole climb and you haven’t even left town yet. It starts out with several sustained, very steep sections, then moderates as you approach the summit. One significant downhill early in the climb will get your speed up to about 40mph, so you’ll need all your gears. The flatter portions at top will also let stronger riders cruise around 20mph.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right