General Discussion Race Reports! » Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gulf Shores, Alabama
United States
Team Magic
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 30s
Overall Rank = 120/299
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

Discombobulated scrambling morning of.
Two final exams the day before.
Three hours of sleep on Wed and Thurs.
Five hours of sleep on Friday.
Great routine.... highly recommended.
Event warmup:

Eating a Clif bar, putting on race tattoos, cheering for friends in the sprint race.
Swim
  • 26m 37s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

I could have easily gone faster, but I am still struggling with pacing. I didn't realize how quickly the swim was going by. I got to the second to last buoy and realized that I still had tons left in the tank. I'd been holding too much back to make sure I finished since I was thinking (erroneously) that open water would be tougher.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster.
I'm happy with the performance since it was my first time swimming in open water, but I totally could have smoked my time if I hadn't been overly cautious and slightly lost as to how close to the finish I was.
For next year I'll do a couple of open water swims to get used to spotting. With another year of training under my belt I'll have a better internal feel for how fast I can push it without crashing.
Also, I will be sure to put myself down as a faster swimmer so that I don't have to avoid so many people on the course.

Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Yeah, didn't know what I was doing.

Know what to do.
I was four minutes away from breaking the top 100. I spent 5 minutes total in transitions. Next year I'll practice this stuff and shoot for a 1:45 T1 and a 1:00 T2.
It really sucks to be slower just because I'm not as good at putting on a helmet quickly.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 45s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good about the bike. Vomited at mile two. Managed to avoid hitting either myself or the bike. Just lost a little bit of the sea water i'd taken in- felt significantly better afterwards.

I could have pushed a little more in the middle when we turned into the headwind.
Again, I'm happy with this performance considering I got my first road bike the last week of February. I have made substantial progress since then. Judging from the gains I've made the past few months I ought to crush this time next year.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Didn't know what I was doing.

Know what to do.
Embarrassingly slow
Run
  • 53m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Absolutely fell apart on the run. My right foot looks like it got caught in a lawnmower I had so many blisters at the end of this run. I ran this slower than I've ran anything in my life I'm pretty sure.
Complete self-destruction. This was a very disappointing run segment since the limiting factor was the blisters which made me run with a limp pretty much the whole time. In training I was running so much faster than this- It's very frustrating to be inhibited by poor preparation instead of by my physical limits.

Actually train for the run portion....
Break in new shoes for more than three weeks...

Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bottle of water. Ate a clementine and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My blisters. The fact that I'm a crappy runner.

For my first triathlon I'm very happy. There were disappointing aspects of my performance but overall it was a great experience and I definitely learned a lot. I'm very pleased to have gone from totally out of shape in February to where I am today, all while not failing out of medical school.

I'm very curious how I would have placed if I could have done just a few things better...
1. Spotting during the swim - I can swim this distance substantially faster, but the open water aspect made me nervous and the combination of playing it conservative and not realizing how close I was to the finish cost me oodles of time
2. Transitions - a pair of awful transitions cost me dearly in terms of overall time and placing
3. Coming to race with newish shoes and the starts of some blisters that hadn't had time to heal - This was the most costly mistake that I'll certainly never repeat. I'm a substantially faster runner than most of the people at this race so it was depressing to end up limping through this section because of several bloody ulcers and watching people pass me who race this distance slower than my training pace.
I'll be back next year with a score to settle.

Last updated: 2011-01-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:37 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 86/299
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Along the shore
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:45 | 24.85 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 144/299
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:53:03 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 127/299
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 10:01 PM

User image

Subject: Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brett Robinson Alabama Coastal Intermediate Triathlon Rss Feed