Ultra-fit USA
79F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 25s
Overall Rank = 98/126
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30am and go the family ready. This after 2 hours of sleep (I can't sleep lately).
Event warmup:

No warmup...just herding kids.
Swim
  • 15m 56s
  • 704 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a great swim for me as I didn't resort to side or breastroke except for 10 strokes total. I started out doing 1/2 breathing for about the first 100, then switched to 3/3. This worked great until I rounded the 1/2 way buoy as it put me shallower - more tumultuous..I couldn't make any traction. I had to go stick closer to the buoy line in the deeper water for clean water. Was breathing hard at this time but for the last 300 I caught my breath and finished strong.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This swim was hands-down better than all my other open water swims. I attribute this directly to getting my breathing in pool swims to 4/4-4/5 and the 2-3 months stint of swimming 5 days per week earlier this year. Even though I don't swim with this breathing style in open water, it helps tremendously in race situations.
Transition 1
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

Very slow transition pinning my race number on as I didn't have my number belt. I think my time was more around 5-8 minutes.

Time to get me a number belt.
Bike
  • 51m 43s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Lot's of flat tires though I guess you get that riding on the highway. Just about everyone that had a flat walked their bike back instead of fixing it. I only saw one person fix their flat. Do most people try to beat the odds?

I took in no fluids on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

T2 is always a fast transition.
Run
  • 28m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I only had a few gulps of water. I took it easy for 2 miles then for the last mile I really kicked up the pace. It was tough but sustainable. This was my best run ever with a 9min/mile pace.

Next time I should eat a gel 15 minutes before the end of the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with the family at the food table.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always, my lazy approach to training. This was by far my best performing race for me...though I was surprised it didn't put me mid-pack at least. Oh well. I guess the lazy triathlete doesn't deserve to be mid-pack. ;) Seriously, it's mostly my very intermitant bike training that directly affects my placement. I don't particularly love riding my bike - especially on open roads which I won't do as I derive no fun at it and the odds are not in my favor. Increasing my bike pace with a lot of training would really up my placement.

Event comments:

This was a good race. The prices of a sprint has gone up a lot - this one was $85 and it was nothing special. This race was in Deleware (Ohio) state park which was huge. Large beach and grass areas for the kids. Very large parking lot. There was not confusion, no lines for bodymarking - everything went very smooth and on time. The course was marked with plenty of volunteers. This would be a great beginner race...probably a PERFECT beginner race - low key, not a lot of people (only 125), end of the season but still warm enough for the swim without a suit.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:56 | 704 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 118/126
Performance: Good
Suit: BT Top and Bottoms
Course: Rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:16
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:43 | 15 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 95/126
Wind: Some
Course: 2 lap on double lane closed highway. It was nice and straight and mostly flat. Small but steady headwind on the way back both loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:06 | 03.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 65/126
Course: Pavement run through the park.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 8:35 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Great Ohioan Triathlon

2011-09-13 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3682005

User image

Expert
Columbus
Subject: RE: Great Ohioan Triathlon

Nice job!

Swim - great work.  I agree it was too shallow and dark on the way back.

T1 - a belt would be good.  if you swim shirtless, you could speed up your swim and and have the number already pinned to the shirt in T1.

I usually use a belt if not wearing a wetsuit.  if i have a wetsuit, the number is just pinned to my shorts under the wetsuit.

Bike - yes, I saw some flats as well. and in a race this short a repair costs too much time so I wouldn't bother.  i bring a repair kit in HIMs not in oly or less.  i could see repairing in an oly but not in a sprint unless finish time goal was secondary to fitness/finish goals.

i don't carry the kit.  it is just extra weight and drag that can go wrong. -I do however carry water (or heed).  i didn't for several sprints but then after reading some articles about fuel and fluid replacement I started taking 16 oz.  and finishing it all.  it equals greater power on the bike and prehydrates for the run.  in a sprint tri I do not utilize any water stops.

T2 - stellar

Run - great job on a PR!  -back to the fuel: just put some calories in your water (cytomax, heed, gatorade, something)

You could move up 15 spots just by getting (or making) a race belt.  -see you next month at deer creek

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Ohioan Triathlon Rss Feed