75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 1s
Overall Rank = 198/257
Age Group = M 20-29
Age Group Rank = 58/82
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 0530 for the 0745 race.

Ate 1 CLIF granola bar at 0700. Sipped on G2 and water leading up to the race. Took a GU at 0735.
Event warmup:

Easy 1.5mi run along Flat Branch. Threw in some strides and high knees to get ready.

Noticed a minorly tight IT band but hoped it would hold out well enough.
Run
  • 2h 09m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Recap:
I was holding a phenomanal pace at mile 3 and wasn't working too hard. I felt good and was wondering how long I could hold that pace. I knew it wouldn't be for the whole 13.1, but I was feeling good.

I hit a huge hill at mile 5 that slowed me down, but regained. I can definitely tell that I haven't gotten a good bit of hill training in like I needed.

I watered up at mile 6 and was starting to slow a bit. I walked through the water stop taking in water and trying to calm down.

Through mile 8 I was holding my actual marathon pace of 9:30 and felt pretty good. The only downfall was that we were running along the sidewalks and there wasn't much shade. Oh well.

I hit mile 9 water stop and THEY RAN OUT OF WATER. The crew was picking cups off the ground and reusing them. I got about 1" worth of water in a very large 8oz solo cup. Not what I was counting on.

The lack of water was a blow to my mental state and the lack of water was affecting my running and I knew it.

At mile 10 I was working to keep it sub 10.

At mile 11-12, I was done. I was in survival mode of run/walk and even then it wasn't pretty. I dipped into a smaller park off course just to get a drink from a fountain.

At mile 12 we popped out of the trail and I could hear the crowd. Then, just as we saw them, we turned right - away from the crowd and had to do a very large loop around the campus. That didn't help.

At 12.5 or so, we turned downhill and I just went with what I had.

I finished in 2:09:01.

Sadly, there was a minor triage area setup for people to get IVs after finishing. Lots of people were laying around with ice on them under the trees. Several with IVs under the medical tent.
What would you do differently?:

Run more. Run more high intensity. Not neglect the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through and grabbed two waters. Sadly the race didn't have any cold and only had MGD 64 on ice. Sorry, not what I wanted.

Tried to eat some of the BBQ but just couldn't get it down. Way overheated to eat.

Went to get a massage only to find out the 1 person doing massages had stopped taking people b/c she was booked out until 2pm. I didn't bother after that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat. Lack of water. A lack of taper.

Event comments:

This course had 3 water stops. Mile 3, 6, 9. Mile 9 was out of water. They ran out of shirts and medals for finishers too.

There wasn't anything cold for refreshments afterwards except MGD64 which was not what my body wanted.

I was not impressed with what I got compared to what I paid for the race.

The course was good and the change of scenery was definitely nice. I enjoyed the mix of asphalt and gravel. I enjoyed the houses and the campus. I enjoyed seeing parts of Columbia that I haven't seen. I would definitely recommend the course again, but maybe not under the same conditions.

Last updated: 2011-08-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:01 | 13.1 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/82
Overall: 82/257
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 162. Max HR 173 laps: 1/9:01, 2/8:51, 3/8:49, 4/9:16, 5/10:35, 6/9:20, 7/9:30, 8/10:27, 9/9:50, 10/11:52, 11/11:31, 12/10:32
Course: loop course. Started at Flat Branch, headed through Mizzou campus, out to Hinkson Recreation area, out on the highway, down onto the MKT extenstion trail, return toward Flat Branch, turn back through campus, and finally drop into the park
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No