Age Group Rank = 14/55
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 1h 22m 29s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very congested start w/first turn bouy very close to beach. Once I cleared the buoy, I moved way left and stayed out of the fray. Neck started chafing and hurting (saltwater) about 1 mile in. Never saw the squiggly man boat to indicate the turn, but being so slow I had plenty of folks to follow. Very slow but steady swim.
What would you do differently?:

Prepare more,but it aint gonna happen as the swim is my least favorite sport and I refuse to put the time in to improve significantly. Nonetheless, had rotator cuff surgery earlier in the year, so I was just glad to be healthy enough to participate.
Transition 1
  • 08m 6s
Comments:

OMG, my hands were so cold I couldn't function. I thought it would be a quick transition but it took forever when you can't feel your fingers.

Put a portable gas heater in T1 !
Bike
  • 5h 47m 36s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Well almost T-boned an impatient driver before I even got to the interstate. I cop was stopping side road traffic, cars were backed up forever, so some yahoo tries to cut thru a gas station parking lot and pulls out right in front of me. I couldn't stop but managed to glance off his bumper and avoid slamming into a truck in the oncoming traffic. What a heart attack! Good steady ride. I tried to purposefuly keep my HR low and speed in check so I'd have energy for the run or walk, whatever it would turn out to be. Did stop @ special needs and visit the porto jon as I couldn't pee on the bike despite hearing about everyone else doing it.

I was happy with the bike. Slow, but steady. Didn't overcook anything.
Transition 2
  • 09m 35s
Comments:

I was so panic'ed about the run that I wasted a lot of time here in T2. I took my leisurely time as I had never run a marathon before, had broken a bone in my foot 6 weeks ago and hadn't been able to train properly for the run. Had I known I would finish 12:04, I would've cut T2 time in half and made an 11:59 race. What a foolish mistake.

Get on with it and start the run earlier.
Run
  • 4h 37m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

bridge had metal grating and the riverfront area had cobblestones that hurt the recenlty broken foot. Didn't like the end of the loop/turnaround area at the park/lake area - dark & lots of curbs/foot bridges, narrow paths. Volunteers were excellent. I ran/jogged/shuffled the whole race except for walking the aid stations. At mile 23, I thought I was done for as I started getting dizzy and light headed. I skipped the aid station before crossing back over the bridge as I thought they might pull me from the race. Overall I was pleased that I kept moving and never walked outside the aid stations. Oh, and what a simple joy coke was on the course. I so enjoyed the sugar high!

Train more, run specific w/long runs. While I broke my foot and couldn't train like my plans, even the plans were too little to adequately prepare.
Post race
Warm down:

froze my butt off once I stopped moving. The warming tent was awesome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Event comments:

Great job of organziers and volunteers. There were a few hiccups, but truly out of control of the RD. Will do it again in 2011.

Last updated: 2010-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:29 | 4224 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/55
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: QuantaRoo
Course: Intercoastal river
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:47:36 | 112 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/55
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 09:35
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:37:02 | 26.2 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/55
Performance: Average
Course: difficult - two loops w/2 bridges and a huge descent & climb in & out of the riverwalk area.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes