Ironman North America
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 54m 12s
Overall Rank = 433/2449
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 14/148
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a little before 5am, ate a small breakfast of oatmeal, raisins and nuts, half a bagal and peanut butter, then made my way down to the transition area to set up water and nutrition, check tires etc. Walked to the start area at about 6:15, relaxed and chatted with my wife and brother. Bit the bullet at 6:45 and made my way into the chilly water.
Event warmup:

The only warmup was swimming out to to the start area about 2/3s of the way across. In retrospect I realize I set myself up for a clobbering.
Swim
  • 1h 15m 7s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I set myself up for a clobbering by lining up too close to the line of bouys. I totally dislike mass swim starts because it's practically impossible to swim to one's potential because of traffic. At about the 500 meter mark I found my arms and legs locked with those around me rendering forward progress more than difficult and I struggled to keep my head above water. Finally a break and I could start moving again. Similar struggles insued later in the course and it wasn't until maybe the last few hundred yards I felt I could relax and find a rythm.
What would you do differently?:

Let other people clobber each other by staying further away from the bouys and settling for swimming a longer distance and greater time.
Transition 1
  • 08m 30s
Comments:

The long transition run was ok. I ran with shoes in hand to near the mount line and put them on. I felt good to have elbow room

Be more diligent with the order of transitioning. I put shoes on automatically but realized the plan was to run with them in hand,wasting valuable milliseconds taking them off.
Bike
  • 5h 54m 16s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt fabulous! I knew I was riding slightly faster than in training but my perceived effort and HR were fine so I went with it and enjoyed every minute of it, even with the adductor cramps towards the end of the hills. I've had those 3 years in a row now and am not quite sure how to avoid it. A combination of Bonk bars, Powergel and salt tabs kept my energy up but because of the cool temps I had to remind myself to drink fluids often. The crowds were awesome on the course! I saw my wife, brother and his kids cheering, what a boost! Because I did the event last year I knew what to expect and combined with a successful training year it didn't seem as difficult as my mind wanted me to believe. Somewhere in the 90-95 mile mark I had to stand to relieve a cramp in both adductors. It unfortunately was as I was cresting a slight hill and slowed rapidly. I was towards the right side but maybe not far enough as the guy behind me slammed into my left handlebar and we both went down. It was less than 10 mph but felt greater. My first reaction was to ask if he was ok. He glared at me, got up and started riding without saying a word. So, I wasn't far enough over and he wasn't looking, we were both wrong. No damage other than scrapes and a bruised pride. The rest of the ride was swift and ended with a smile! No mechanical issues and good company along the way made an enjoyable ride!

Nutrition was spot on with the exception of salt intake. I stick with water as most sport drinks end up causing GI problems by the time I get to the run. Monday morning I realized I didn't take all the salt tabs I had intended.
Transition 2
  • 04m 52s
Comments:

Super volunteer took bike off my hands just a few yards into T2-it was great!

Nothing
Run
  • 4h 31m 20s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to run in between aid stations and quickly walk while refueling and it pretty much worked! At mile 15 I realized I hadn't urinated since T2 and started downing extra water at each station. I really enjoyed the run this year. My third of 3 IMs in a row but the first which no injury impeded training and race goals. I felt smooth and managed a pace only 5-10 seconds slower than in training for the 1st 13mi. I took in Powergel and salt tabs but ran out of salt at before mile 15. And my pace started to slow. Even so, I felt ok. Remembering my hydration was sub-par I incrased my water intake which was a double edged sword. At mile 22 I started to fade and doubled my walk time through the aid stations greatly reducing my average. As I neared the downtown area the crowds were a tremendous lift and my pace picked up. As the last corner was negotiated leading to the finish I swear my pace was quicker than any time in training. I accomplished my goal of a 12 hour finish time-44 minutes quicker than last year! The damage from the double edge sword was apparent as soon as I stopped moving. I realized I was very dizzy. At first I thought it was dehydration and made my way to to medical tent. My systolic BP was 25 points low but still in the ok range, and no other issues. I ate a banana, drank a Sierra Mist and chicken broth thinking that I was hypoglycemic. It had no effect. After a while, I thought all I had to do was eat and I'd be better. I was released. Two sub sandwichs later I was still dizzy. Putting all the pieces of the day together with my brother we determined I was experiencing water intoxication. Over the next hour I took 1400mg of salt tabs and the dizziness disappeared. Though I didn't have all the symptoms of Hyponatremia, I was probably on my way. A successful run marred only by running out of salt tabs and poor choices of liquids.

Obviously more salt and or sport beverages.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slowing on the run because of salt issues. Had that not occurred I may have been faster by another 5-10 minutes. Otherwise I'm very happy!

Event comments:

I felt the "mob" scene during the swim and the micro-managing of bike spacing (draft patrol) were inconsistant. I can't understand why the organization continues with a mass swim start which hardly is conducive to a quality individual swim, yet micro-manages the bike portion when there are a couple of miles of bikes wheel to wheel not due to intentional drafting. A biker is forced to perform above or below capabilities. Within the first few miles the motorcycle patrol was warning people of the "20 second rule". One patroller seemed to acknowledge the obsurdity of the rule given the conditions.

Last updated: 2010-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:15:07 | 4224 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 48/148
Overall: 908/2449
Performance: Below average
Suit: farmer john
Course: 2 loops
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:54:16 | 112 miles | 18.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/148
Overall: 488/2449
HR stayed in a good range even though speeds were higher than in training
Wind: Some
Course: Lollipop???
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:31:20 | 26.2 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/148
Overall: 433/2449
Course: 2 loop course with this year including Observatory Hill, walked it both times.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %<1%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-15 8:43 PM

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2011-09-16 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3688741

Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Very solid splits in each discipline.  Congrats on a great race and improving from last year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed