General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M. Gooley Hemophilia Center
71F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 06m 6s
Overall Rank = 525/601
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 59/65
Pre-race routine:

up at 0545, to the lake to set up, back home and in bed within an hour. Must have been keyed up, cuz even the supreme napper didn't fall asleep.
Back down for good at 0715. Brought breakfast with me - 1.5 to 2 hrs before I race is good timing for food.
Event warmup:

Pacing.
Swim
  • 22m 6s
  • 792 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I stand waaaaaay to the right, I just don't like all those feet kicking me. Dive in as soon as in water to test goggle seal - swim a little to loosen up. It's wavy, but I can hack it. This is my best start as far as staying swimming and not having to come up from gasping or goggle problems. The closer the buoy gets, the bigger the waves. I stand up to to breathe for a second - water is below boobs and waves rolling by are up to my eyes. Can see I'm at the back of the pink caps, but don't see any orange caps yet (I know Dudley is coming). wheeeeeee, up and down, kayak man checks if I'm living - get to the 1st buoy and at least 4 folks holding on to kayaks - I sight, and kayak past buoy is across path! I keep going and luckily do not run into it. Pass 2nd buoy and feel waves coming up my back, whew. Went a little wide right, but kept beach in sight and did not get redirected by kayaker like last time! I can see orange caps and know that Dudley is out of the water by now. I tip-toe run up the rocks and have to practically go to where my mom is standing to get her attention!
What would you do differently?:

Might try taking off wetsuit in water, or at least the top half. Looked like it worked for the folks I saw do it.
Transition 1
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

Thankfully, there is enough room to run on the grass for this looong distance to T1. I'm such a tender flower.
Direct neighbors are there, my spot is completely blocked by wetsuit and shoes, "oh, sorry, it's all good!" I hear as I try to get through. Pull out towel, wetsuit off, and plop to ground. By this 3rd race, I am not at all concerned with drying anything but the tootsies. That's progress. And though still way too long, I've improved from last year!

the wetsuit thing - maybe off in water?
Bike
  • 56m 25s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 14.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Trot out of transition and gestapo Mullane says, "It's a race, Hallstead!" I think of that song by Cee Lo, Forget You (the uncensored version).....it gets a tune in my head and a smile on my face, but I don't have time for a friendly gesture as I did in Geneva.
Mount is ok, I see friendly faces of Julie and Marlee pushing me on. Madi is on the dismount side and telling people to get off the bikes!
So I know the route and get going. Nice to have the intersections all to yourself! I see someone walking their bike back not even a mile out, uh oh. Up the hill, past the ice cream sign. Next road is a little less uphill. My right calf starts to tense up, I keep the heel down and this seems to work. The next road is a little lesser uphill. Got the right calf doing ok, then the left calf just seizes up. Yep, I'm riding along with my leg sticking out at all angles, trying to loosen it up. All I can think is I'm getting closer to the downhill=). I've now passed 2 people that I've gone back and forth with and feel like I can stay ahead of them now. Fly through the intersection which is a little angled and come within about 3 feet of oncoming car sitting at stop sign. It happened so fast, that I got scared AFTER I passed it! Now I know I have a little flat and rollers, then going to try to break my land speed record. See a guy off road and ask if he's ok - he says yes, but needs a tube. Do people really go out in a race without them? Now that I know, I cannot just keep going, I swing around and meet him on other side of road. I tell him to hurry, it's in the bag! Like he's waiting for me to get it! I can barely relax my grip at this point! He gets the tube out and I go. The 2 people I had passed go by, this is a bummer. But it's downhill time now and I'm ready.
This is fun, and I pedal until I'm bouncing. Came a little close tipping too far as I went around a couple people, that was out of the comfort zone. But I hit 43.2 mph which tops my 41 from the last practice ride.
Both calves are now tight. Get to dismount line, swing right leg over, it hits the ground and ZAP! it becomes concrete from knee down and I cannot move it, left one tightens now too. I actually look down to see if it's still there and try to reach down to lift up the toe to stretch it. Not pretty and not successful. Just try to walk and hobble by gestapo Mullane who asks if I'm ok! I want to say no and am surprised this doesn't come out of my mouth.
Transition 2
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Thank God I don't have to change shoes (though I can't believe I am putting clips on my xmas list).
I stretch my calves, a good pain. Could have used a few more min of that, but was afraid Mullane might be behind me.
I actually feel like I have some energy left!
For the 2 friends I've worked with, I must take credit for having the best T2 time! They crushed my in everything else!

good routine this time, compared to others.
Run
  • 40m 9s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 12m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

2 days before, I actually ran the whole distance with Sheri. This may not seem big, but is only the 3rd time I've done that.
Mom is right outside of transition and we don't see each other until we are next to each other - smile and wave!
I keep telling myself that I can do it, Sheri taught me. Alas, I am alone and mentally weak. Many little walking breaks. Drank 3 times. Appreciated the encouragement I got from a couple others.
Am thinking my time will suck, but honestly didn't think of stopping - isn't that weird?
AGAIN, my mom is staring intently down the chute and does not notice me until I am 2 feet in front of her, frantically waving my arms! For all the watching she does, she doesn't see a lot! This is me in 30 years (God willing)!

um, run.
I guess I am at least happy that I got the same time as the other day when I ran the whole thing with Sheri.
Post race
Warm down:

Don't sit down, just keep walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I refuse to answer on the grounds that it will incriminate me.

I will say the calves didn't help. Had been having trouble with it for about 2 weeks - lo and behold, I got my period on race day - will attribute it to pre-menstrual hormone hell.

Event comments:

No direction for racers as far as where refreshments were. You walk right toward a big tent where there are many people and food is visible, then realize that is just for Wegmans. Maybe I'll get a part-time job there.
Huge line for peon food and we didn't wait in it.

Last updated: 2011-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:06 | 792 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 63/65
Overall: 563/601
Performance:
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: out and back rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:43
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:25 | 13.6 miles | 14.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 52/65
Overall: 461/601
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: up, up, and away! A giant circle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:43
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:09 | 03.2 miles | 12m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/65
Overall: 547/601
Performance:
Course: flat - by the lake, into the lagoon and down the pier.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-18 11:42 PM

User image

Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2011-09-19 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3691562

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job Y.  I love you!!  I take Mullane out before you get there next year. 
2011-09-19 2:39 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Mike was kind of obnoxious wasnt he?  I would have thought after musselman he would have known better!

Congrats on your race! Nice job!
2011-09-19 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Gotta love a race report that makes me laugh out loud....Good for you ignoring hecklers & pushing thru seizing calves..and being a good samaritan along the way..I. m thinkng of giving my wetsuit a slit up the legs you know like a pencil skirt or something- I always feel like a sausage or something and no matter how much i copy those other people it just doesnt spring off my heels like theirs does!!Congrats on a good race..Nice job!!
2011-09-22 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3692876

User image

Expert
Congratulations on an excellent race! 43 MPH is fast! Very nice of you to give that guy a tube. Wasn't Dud NOT supposed to pass you on the swim? Also, I am having trouble picturing Mike acting tough; he is always so nice.
2011-09-24 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

Nice RR Y!  I am one of those people who doesn't have a tube either!  At least I don't think I do.  The one in my bag is an old one I believe.  But I figured if the tubes I have couldn't last another 13.5 miles then the race wasn't meant to be.  I like to tempt fate like that.  Smile

Way to push through your tight calves.  That must have been painful! 

2011-09-27 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Great job out there!  Way to push to the end!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed