BBSC Tri
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 55s
Overall Rank = 21/391
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 6:00, ate two slices of bread with peanut butter and drank some wate. Loaded up the car and headed to the event. Had to do race day packet pickup since I couldn't get down to St George until 11:30 the night before due to Friday afternoon traffic in Salt Lake. This made my morning a bit rushed, and I kind of half assed putting my bike number on, which ended up flapping around annoyingly on the bike leg.
Event warmup:

Ran for about 10 minutes. I was fairly nervous about the swim so I couldn't focus well on anything else. Ended up switching goggles out from tinted to clear with about 2 minutes to go before the race. Glad I did, sighting would have been very difficult otherwise.
Swim
  • 18m 47s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall I can't complain much, I swam fast enough to make me a contender for an AG podium. I also recognize that I have huge room for improvement in the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I was a bit timid at the start, not wanting to tread water or mix it up at the front of the pack. As I get better I can see a definite advantage to working my way up a bit farther at the start
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

A little difficulty getting wetsuit unvelcroed around the neck then unzipped, fortunately I was able to get it sorted out on the run to my bike.

Need to get my own wetsuit and get familiar with it. Rest of T1 went fairly smoothly especially considering I was a bit rushed first thing in the morning during setup. Getting on to bike and into shoes went well.
Bike
  • 38m 20s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a bit worried I went a bit too hard on the bike. I could see a large pack in front of me and I wanted to pass them badly. Most of the pack broke up before the turn around, but I was able to get through at least half of them. I came off the bike 15th in my wave.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I didn't pay much attention to the bike course, and thought the dismount was almost a half mile before it was, luckily I held off removing my shoes, but I slowed down a quite a bit as I was trying to figure it out. My legs probably needed the quick breather before the run though. When the dismount line finally did come, my left foot wasn't out yet.

My left shoe came out of the clip, so I took it off and ended up carrying it to the rack. Right thing to do considering the error, but it could have gone better.

I also had trouble getting one of my shoes on which cost me a couple seconds.

For the first time I resisted the urge to get a last swig of water before starting out on the run, so thats a plus.
Run
  • 23m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run, despite the fact that I lost the podium in the last half mile. I nearly closed in on one in my AG, passed another at the turn around, who then hung on my shoulder as I tried to run down the other. At half a mile to go, the one on my shoulder took off and they both smoked me and I couldn't follow. Ended up 4th. They were 3rd and 2nd, like 20 and 25 seconds ahead of me.

PR for a triathlon 5k... and on a course with a bit of a hill.

Not lose in the last two minutes of the race!
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do much, hung around for a while, watched the olympic, cooled off in the water, watched the guys who I came so close to beating accept AG awards...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim is my biggest limiter right now, If I can put together a bike and run like I did and shave my swim time to something respectable, I'll be a contender to win my AG, not just podium

Event comments:

Good race, beautiful venue, good turn out. Post race activities were pretty thin, but overall a very well done event. Largest tri I've done so far I think.

Last updated: 2011-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:47 | 820 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/35
Overall: 117/391
Performance: Average
Consensus seems to be that the swim course was long. Apparently rain and wind the night before blew the buoys around quite a bit. Overall I can't complain about the swim since this is my first OWS tri since last year when I panicked and had to stop and hang on to something twice. This time I was bumped around a lot, but never got swam over, and overall fared decently.
Suit: TYR Hurricane - Rental
Course: Essentially down and back, I found sighting difficult, the sighting buoys were difficult to see. Fortunately the finish arch was easier to pick up on the way back, but I still feel like I zig zagged a bit more than would have been perfect
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:20 | 12.43 miles | 19.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/35
Overall: 20/391
Performance: Good
Bike course was tough, with a big hill about a mile before the turn around. Overall an excellent bike leg for me. The hill negated some of the advantage of the tri frames over my roadie. Also, I'm a pretty good climber. I passed a lot of people on the bike.
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:24 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/35
Overall: 34/391
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, uphill out, downhill back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes